Best place to buy a fridge?

billiebob

Yeah, I understand all the minuses to front loading but I really like a real kitchen and hate digging around in the mess of a cooler. I'm pretty organized and not too concerned about opening with care.
Plus it makes ICE !!!!

65W, this is their biggest. I'm probably going one smaller at 50W. But you need power to make ice and it is regulated by a thermostat so 65W/50W is continuous consumption. Not likely for me, a single guy who also dines out.

Kinda looking for guys with experience more than just opinions.

dreadlocks

Ive had front loading fridges, that was my experience, not opinion.. they sucked more power, took more room, held less food.. none had an ice maker tho, just an ice tray..

I'm eyeing those standalone ice makers now, can make ice in 6min they claim.. can just run it when wife wants to make some mixed drinks, if power budget permits.

billiebob

Were they the NEW Dometic CRX series? I had a fridge in my 1978? Chinook. But I doubt that experience is relevant either. I'm not eying a stand alone ice maker. But let us know how that 6 minute claim works out.

For clarity, copy/paste.
Anyone have experience with the Dometic CRX series??

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Front loaders loose all the cold air when you open em up, they also tend to dump everything onto the ground when opened up after a drive..
Air masses move very slowly; you get more air exchange from the turbulence created by opening and closing the door in either a front or top loader. Plus, air has a very low heat capacity, i.e. it takes very little energy to change its temperature.

After my first couple of trips I figured out how to pack the fridge so nothing dumps out after an undulating drive.

The big disadvantage of a front loader is if the door seal goes bad you are continually leaking cold air out the bottom of the door.
The big advantage of a front loader is it is easier to add insulation. I have over an inch of polyiso all the way around my fridge, except front.
IMO the effort to get stuff from the back or bottom of a fridge is about the same for front and top loading.

Get what works for you.

grogie

Like to Camp
A great benefit to any fridge is when it's not being used on the way to or at a campsite, is that it's a dedicated beer fridge in your garage.

Kentuckyshiner

I live of the motto buy once cry once. I am running the snowmaster CL56D . I understand the price is a lil High but it comes with a 7 year compressor warranty . I absolutely love it. now everything i have read about the wynter fridge has been all positive. for the price range.

tanokosohana

I have a Samsung fridge, dude the icemaker breaks every 2 months. So I want to buy a new one. Thanks for the ideas. I also have a big problem with the dishes. Every day we accumulate a large number of dishes and I wash it myself because our dishwasher is broken. Sometimes I feel like I'm working as a dishwasher, so I don't want to spend any more time on it. Here ianboer.com.au I found high-quality dishwashers that are used for cafes and restaurants. I think it's a good idea to buy one for my kitchen, but I would like to know your opinion on this topic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior