Best (Or Most Dependable) All-Terrain Tire?

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I vote ST Maxxs

I used to run the original BFG KOs and loved them and would recommend the KO2s but after reading all the inconsistent reviews and experiences AT THE TIME from them I opted for the ST Maxxs. ST Maxxs have been excellent so far and have done far better in mud than my old KOs did.

jadmt

ignore button user
Another vote for ST Maxx, I have run KO2 and while they are good tires I like my ST Maxx better on my 4 door wrangler. The only place the KO2 has any advantage is on ice and it is only a slight advantage, everywhere else the Cooper is better and even tho it is more aggressive it is quiet.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
here we go again. the general consensus in no particular order

Cooper ST MAXX
Cooper AT3
BFG KO2 AT
General Grabber AT
Toyo M55
Toyo AT

Im going to throw a curveball, ive been really impressed with my ******** Cepek Extreme country's

jadmt

ignore button user
here we go again. the general consensus in no particular order

Cooper ST MAXX
Cooper AT3
BFG KO2 AT
General Grabber AT
Toyo M55
Toyo AT

Im going to throw a curveball, ive been really impressed with my ******** Cepek Extreme country's
In the last couple of years I have had the first 3 on your list and the last Toyo at2 and Toyo R/T. For me the ST Maxx and Toyo R/T are tied for best in class followed by the Toyo at2 and KO2 and last place goes to the Cooper AT3. I have had several pair of Toyo AT2's and several pair of ST Maxx's. If the Toyo R/T was not so dang expensive it would be in first place all by itself but I dont think it is worth $150 or so more than the ST Maxx so that is why they are tied in my book.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I really liked my cooper st-maxx tires on my super duty. I thought they were just as quiet, and wore better than the cooper at3's that were on there before. They also did better in NH and VA snow conditions that i experienced. I also REALLY likes my toyo open country at2's on my last truck, an f150.
I think you can't really go wrong with most of the modern at tires out there. Pick one that you like and just roll with it (pun intended).
How would you rate the st maxx against the toyo at2 for road noise?

Outdoorsben

Observer
I have had BFG AT’s on my XJ and got around 67k out of them years ago. I have BFG AT’s on my JKU now. I love the tire. I also tried out Geolanders on my WJ. They did good as well but I didn’t wheel it as much so can’t speak for a lot of off-road. On the road and in the snow it worked well. I live in New England as well.

St8ton

Ran Duratracs for about 35-40k miles, great tires...got a little loud on the road towards the end. Currently running KO2s and they are amazing. Quiet, well mannered, great on and off road in mild and sloppy conditions. You'd be hard pressed to find a more widely accepted and trusted tire.

pittsburgh

tacocat
I moved back to PA from CO last year and I am running BFG KO2's on my DCSB Tacoma in the 235/85/16 size and they are horrible in the rain. Any time I need to pull out they break loose unless I pretend I am on ice. Which is weird cause they are great in the snow, I don't understand how a snow rated tire breaks traction on wet pavement so easily. Even the KO's on my LJ break loose in the rain, I am considering switching over to the new Cooper AT3 4S tires for my next set of tires on the Tacoma and I am up in the air about what I want to run on my LJ.

arlon

Adventurer
I just replaced the AT/KO tires on my van with the AT3 MS4 tires. The KO was just too much tire for me and I don't do the kind of off road stuff I used to. The AT3 rides a lot smoother but suspect they are not in the same league when it comes to toughness. Sidewalls on the AT3's seem really thin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles