best onboard air system for tires, shower, accessories

scandy

I'm trying to get an onboard air system figured out by next week, I've been looking at the ARB CKMA12 this one..
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMA12-C...WC_20KtD2rZgrqFjQlO1WJ0f9JOgsgg7AKPNBv98qEsqk

I need it for filling tires obviously, i've got 32s and doubt ill go bigger. I also want to run a hose to the back to pressurize my scepter can to use for a shower, as well as fill bike tires.

I know almost nothing about this subject so any help would be appreciated, should i look for a compressor and separate tank so i dont need to always run the compressor? any tips for running hose to the back of the van? I'm thinking of having a hook up at the front and back, so run a split and two hook ups, but dont know where to start looking for those things.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
CKMA12 is too much money and too little performance for a compressor with a 50% duty cycle.:(

Where do you plan on mounting your compressor?
Does your shower have a schrader valve to pressurize it or does it need constant pressure.

scandy

CKMA12 is too much money and too little performance for a compressor with a 50% duty cycle.:(

Where do you plan on mounting your compressor?
Does your shower have a schrader valve to pressurize it or does it need constant pressure.

I've got space in my engine bay if the compressors small enough, the ARB would be pushing it. Otherwise I do have a good amount of space where I could tuck it up and away under the van. And yes I've got a separate cap with a schrader valve for the shower. Though im also considering just using a submersible pump..

for VIAIR, how's this look?
https://www.viaircorp.com/oba/oba-medium

I like the idea of having a separate tank for filling bike tires, and pressurize the water tank without having to run the compressor, the possibility to run an air locker in the future, etc. thats the main advantage to running a separate tank I assume?

MOguy

Explorer
lots of people, myself included, have been using the MV-50 for years and had no issues. They run about $75 and seem to last.

Reactions: WVI

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I've got space in my engine bay if the compressors small enough, the ARB would be pushing it. Otherwise I do have a good amount of space where I could tuck it up and away under the van. And yes I've got a separate cap with a schrader valve for the shower. Though im also considering just using a submersible pump..

for VIAIR, how's this look?
https://www.viaircorp.com/oba/oba-medium

I like the idea of having a separate tank for filling bike tires, and pressurize the water tank without having to run the compressor, the possibility to run an air locker in the future, etc. thats the main advantage to running a separate tank I assume?

Due to the heat in an engine compartment (although popular) is not the best place for a compressor.

The problem I have with Viair is the 33% duty cycle is not acceptable IMO. For the same money you can get a PUMA and separate the pump and tank if needed. The Puma is 100% duty cycle and much better set up than the linked Viair above. I have run the Puma PD-1006 for over 10 years with 100's hours on it. https://www.ebay.com/p/Puma-PD1006-...Ah-Continuous-Duty-Air-Compressor/17031091517

Only a few compressor will do well under the vehicle. Extreme air who I happen to be a distributor for (y) makes compressors for mounting on the underside and the only manufacture that makes a guaranteed 100% submersible pump (snorkel required). Feel free to contact me if you would like a turn key design to fit your needs.

Extreme Aire Endura 100% duty cycle provides more air than any Viair and slightly less than the PUMA

Best bang for the buck for sure but it sounds like the OP is looking for a permanent mounted set up.

Actually shouldn't be tough to do a permanent install, not much different than the ARB. Just need to sort out a location/bracket and relay/switch set up. Plumbing is all the same. For the ViAirs, the H Series would be a better bet.

scandy

Due to the heat in an engine compartment (although popular) is not the best place for a compressor.

The problem I have with Viair is the 33% duty cycle is not acceptable IMO. For the same money you can get a PUMA and separate the pump and tank if needed. The Puma is 100% duty cycle and much better set up than the linked Viair above. I have run the Puma PD-1006 for over 10 years with 100's hours on it. https://www.ebay.com/p/Puma-PD1006-...Ah-Continuous-Duty-Air-Compressor/17031091517

Only a few compressor will do well under the vehicle. Extreme air who I happen to be a distributor for (y) makes compressors for mounting on the underside and the only manufacture that makes a guaranteed 100% submersible pump (snorkel required). Feel free to contact me if you would like a turn key design to fit your needs.

Extreme Aire Endura 100% duty cycle provides more air than any Viair and slightly less than the PUMA

View attachment 512496

That Extreme Aire Endura does sound great, being submersible is good too. opens up mounting options. Just not sure if its overkill. 33% duty cycle seems like enough to fill my tires. and having a tank i'm guessing would help out a bit too.

That Viair kit just seemed like a good option for the money. But I havent looked around much, and i'm sure i could piece together my own that would be better.

MOguy

Explorer
Actually shouldn't be tough to do a permanent install, not much different than the ARB. Just need to sort out a location/bracket and relay/switch set up. Plumbing is all the same. For the ViAirs, the H Series would be a better bet.

It has a bracket with holes for mounting built into it. If has an inline fuse. I have mine wired to fuse box dedicated for accessories but no relay. There is a switch on the compressor. I have had one hard wired like that since about 2006.

jays0n

Adventurer
I'm running a Viaair system with a 50% duty cycle and I'll be honest, I've not exactly respected that duty cycle and 6 years later it's still alive and kicking. My thoughts were to get the cheaper one and if/when the compressor died i would replace it with something better and leave the rest of the plumbing intact. I have it all mounted under the rear of my FJ Cruiser, outside in the elements, in Seattle and it's been fine, very impressed with the quality. I ran a quick connect into the front bumper through the frame and have one on the tank at the rear, one of the best investments I've made on my rig.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Something to keep in mind when shopping compressors. You can relate amperage draw to performance. In other words in most cases a compressor that uses more amps will out perform one of lower amperage no matter what claim is made by the manufacture. Also when shopping always Google the xxxxx failures and you will be surprised of the failures on some of the most popular compressors.

billiebob

3 things to consider. cfm, psi, duty cycle.

Most compressors highlight the peak psi, something usually irrelevant.
A few mention the cfm where you can read it, this is what you really need!!
And duty cycle. Until you buy a 33% duty cycle you won't realize how much better 100% is.

If you find a 100% duty cycle, BIG cfms, buy it. You likely have zero use for 160psi.

Generally a lower peak psi will be a better duty cycle and higher cfm.

Umbrarian

Observer
  1. I use the ARB with no problems. I had a Viar it was painfully slow.
  2. I also use an external tank, which speeds up fill ups.
  3. I use Anderson Connecters in conjunction with the Warn Quick Connect Kit to provide quick hookups and portability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles