Best Offroad GPS unit

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Anyone using a Garmin GPSMAP 64st or 64s?

Any thoughts on this unit?

Usage: Off-roading in Colorado, hiking, hunting, etc.

SARguru

Observer
I dont have the 64 so i cant comment on the glonas part, i do have a 62sc.
It acquires satellites super fast and keeps them locked it even under heavy canopy. The unit permits the user to customize the settings, the problem is that in the trip computer reset is the reset all button which returns the unit to factory settings. This function should be buried deep in the settings menu not when it can be reset so easily. The memory card permits mass storage of maps. This is my 5 or 6th gps since the late 90's and my favourite model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have had numerous gps units starting with the first sonis way back in 94? I have had probably 4 lowrance until and a few others. I have right now an garmin with road maps and a topo map that I can toggle back and forth from. I am very disappointed in it though as when you toggle back in forth the basic roads don't line up so on the road map I am on there and when I switch to the topo map and I am in the lagoon 150 away.

Maybe earlier back then and until the mid 2000's the lowrances were far and away the best. but for the cost 5 and 1/2 bills they are expensive and not sure whether cost now but the baja racers use them because they are so durable. NOW I am looking at a tablet and trying to figure out what is the best under 100 buck tablet ai can find with built in gps.

My priorities are being able to load enough map data and have very good gps reception and a fast enough processor to have it all work smoothly and quickly. plus a reasonably large screen I am open to suggestions I will probably go with an android base although I am a dedicate MAC man(cost)So I am open to suggestions as well.

another question I have is how do these tablets have a gps receiver that is worth a dam when the the antenna for the gps units them selfs are so much larger than a tablet . has the tech come that far that fast?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Pretty much. Depending on your tablet. I use an external GPS receiver to save battery on the tablet, and it locks in way faster. Its no more accurate, both are pretty well dead on...but its just faster.

As for the tablet, the Lepan mini has a built in GPS module, and is quick to lock on. I got mine for 99 bucks Canadian from best buy. I am not sure if they have any left or not. But its the best bang for the buck for sure!

1Louder

Explorer
another question I have is how do these tablets have a gps receiver that is worth a dam when the the antenna for the gps units them selfs are so much larger than a tablet . has the tech come that far that fast?

If you are worried just use an external GPS. Pretty much the same as using an antenna with the old automobile GPS devices. As mentioned above.

geo.greg

Observer

my first question is how accurate do you need it to be? and would 25-50 feet difference change anything? I ran side by side tracks with a Samsung tablet and my Garmin oregon 650. seemed my Garmin that also had glonass and maybe a few other techs in the background that I dont undersand was a tad better. but both were close enough to know where i was and not sure that any decision i would make that the difference would make a difference.

that said. to me its more about what hardware works better for your needs. driving and planning with others clearly the tablet wins, on my motorbike and hiking the handheld is better.

again, they both work, they both tell me where i am, they both are close enough to use for road and offroad navigation. i guess its more about what packagin works best for your needs.

Yuccahead

Adventurer
" ...they both work, they both tell me where i am, they both are close enough to use for road and offroad navigation."

What geo.greg said. The Oregon and most handhelds have WAAS which makes it more accurate and also faster to acquire an initial position but also consumes more power. Adding Glonass also generally makes a device's initial acquisition faster but not necessarily any more accurate. For road navigation and most offroad navigation, a tablet is more than accurate enough. WAAS mattered when the Pentagon degraded the GPS signal. Now that they have stopped doing that, it's not critical.

silvElise

Adventurer
I agree this is a pretty loaded question.

It totally depends on use case and application. I have done many different solutions depending on auto/motorcycle and use case.

I can comment on my current solution trying to cut down on "tech". I was tired of to many devices and decided to get this (newer versions available): http://www.kenwoodusa.com/DNX7190HD

The main reason was because of the Garmin integration. I can have nice day to day nav, but using the sd card slot, I can load in custom Garmin compatable maps..even their offroad maps based on my trip (tons of detailed topo and trail maps available if you know where to look), also pre plan trips and load those. If things go bad on the road because of private closed road then normally paper maps can work as a nice supplement. However they are rarely needed.

dstock

Explorer
I agree this is a pretty loaded question.

It totally depends on use case and application. I have done many different solutions depending on auto/motorcycle and use case.

I can comment on my current solution trying to cut down on "tech". I was tired of to many devices and decided to get this (newer versions available): http://www.kenwoodusa.com/DNX7190HD

The main reason was because of the Garmin integration. I can have nice day to day nav, but using the sd card slot, I can load in custom Garmin compatable maps..even their offroad maps based on my trip (tons of detailed topo and trail maps available if you know where to look), also pre plan trips and load those. If things go bad on the road because of private closed road then normally paper maps can work as a nice supplement. However they are rarely needed.

I am starting to lean this way myself after also trying and using many options on different vehicles. Frankly, the clutter involved with tablets, GPS units etc. just seems ridiculous and half the time I end up coming back to my stand alone Garmin GPS. Thanks for the heads up on the Kenwood.

As you mentioned, looks like the new DNX7190HD is the DNX772BH http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/dnx772bh/

silvElise

Adventurer
I am starting to lean this way myself after also trying and using many options on different vehicles. Frankly, the clutter involved with tablets, GPS units etc. just seems ridiculous and half the time I end up coming back to my stand alone Garmin GPS. Thanks for the heads up on the Kenwood.

As you mentioned, looks like the new DNX7190HD is the DNX772BH http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/dnx772bh/

Looks like the correct newer model.. Mainly looks like they added un-needed fluff :) The Garmin with SD/USB input is key. Out side of that I use bluetooth to use my phone for music (spotify), handless calling, and gives me a notification if I get a message.

verdesardog

Explorer
I like garmin etrex20, does all needed and less than $200.
Get better, free maps for your garmins at gpsfiledepot.com

alanymarce

I read your signature line a few times in the past but just realized now that you are from Newfoundland, "No such thing as bad weather...." Newfoundland is the only place in the world where I have seen 50 knot winds with zero-zero in fog. Quite a feat !!!

...Also Tierra del Fuego and Shetland (with The Rock, the three places in the world with gale force fog!

FJOE

Regular Dude
I am using a Garmin Montana 650T with 12v power in a RAM/Panavise Mount, with the Garmin GA 25MCX external antenna on the roof. Great combo. Plus I can detach everything and go handheld if I need to dismount. Garmin GPSMap 60csx as a backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles