Best navigation/GPS/map apps for iPHone and iPad

General Automag

Adventurer
We just upgraded to the new iPhones. We have a 4S and a 5. What are the better mapping tools and navigation aids are out there? We haven't bought a GPS yet, nor do we have an iPad that we can mount in the vehicle. Safari or the Apple built-in Maps application works when there is a signal, but we all know too well that you tend to lose signal as you travel to locations outside of the cities. It seems like there would be an app or two that would let you cache a particular area. I realize that a phone is no substitute for a good GPS, but the Garmin Montana and Nuvi 3590 aren't in the budget right now. Also, I haven't seen much out there with good topo maps either. Thanks :)

JRhetts

Adventurer
My solutions so far are

for street nav: TomTom

for topos: iHikeGPS and TopoMaps

all store maps in your device so you can use them when out of WiFi or cell

all are avail in App Store

I am running them on an iPad 3

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I've been using these for past 3 years and haven't found anything that works better...

Navigon (Garmin) for street use.
Motion X GPS for offroad and track logging.

Both Cache maps so no cell signal is needed.

Mad Matt

Adventurer
I have been having amazing success with Motion X. I download/cache the Bing hybrid aerials prior to going out. Its amazing to have aerial imagery of where you are wheeling! If you spring for a data plan with the iPad you can download an app like Wuze (free) for on road navigation.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I've used Scenic Map East and Central and have been pretty happy with them. All the maps for a given area; eastern, central, western are a separate download. 2 gig each. But it works when your out of WiFi or 3G area. They have a map just for the Grand Canyon and Alaska also. Price is a little higher, but less than the cost of 3 gallons of gas for each one. When I get far enough west again, I'll get that one two.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've used Scenic Map East and Central and have been pretty happy with them. All the maps for a given area; eastern, central, western are a separate download. 2 gig each. But it works when your out of WiFi or 3G area. They have a map just for the Grand Canyon and Alaska also. Price is a little higher, but less than the cost of 3 gallons of gas for each one. When I get far enough west again, I'll get that one two.

I have Scenic Map West and like Kilroy, I like this app over the others I've tried (MotionX, etc.). It's just simpler to use and although they're not the highest resolution maps available, they're usually good enough (haven't seen a need for higher res so far).

Downside I'm finding is it has no map Legend (popup screen or otherwise) and limited waypoint entry capability. If your waypoint isn't the correct format, you'll first need to convert it then enter it. I've started using the ccTech app to do this.

Regardless of those two minor gripes, it's still my Go To topo solution.

You should also note that they also have a street map version (YouNeedAMap) and the mini-maps they offer for Grand Canyon, etc are free for you to try.

Check it out. It's worth it IMHO.

JRhetts

Adventurer
I agree with off-roader, the ScenicMap apps are very good and completely self-contained. I have used them to track my driving on remote roads only, no off road travel with it so far, but the visualization esp in 3D mode is terrific. While driving it gives me a very useful anticipatory look at what is coming up as well as what is "over the hill" that I can't directly see but might just want to go see if I knew about it.

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
Wow! Just bought scenic map alaska. This is what I have been looking for. Motion x is great but no downloadable maps north of 60 degrees. So it's out for me. I have the entire state (and alaska is huge) in 3d mapping for 4 bucks. Wow thanks for the recommendation. Really like how I can fly around google earth style on my iPad. Also tried it in the car and was very impressed with the moving map.

sickchilly

Observer
Has anyone found an app that has the following features:
1. Turn-by-turn voice guided directions.
2. Imports routes created on a PC (typically GPX or KML data files).
3. Stores map data on the device.
4. Works on iPhone or iPad.

If I could only find an app that has all that, I could consolidate several apps into one or go without a hardware GPS. Currently I use Navigon for street guidance and several "topo" or hiking type apps for tracking, exploring, off-road, etc.

I want something for motorcycle trips (no off-road, but plenty of backroads, two lanes, etc.). It's gotta have voice guidance piped to my helmet as I can't take my eyes off the road long enough to study unfamiliar turns. I usually plan trips in Garmin BaseCamp, Google Earth or Google Maps. Of course my Garmin hardware GPS and several of my apps for hiking/off-road are the only ones that import my pre-planned routes. If some of these apps can import GPX data, I don't see why Garmin won't do it in their voice guidance StreetPilot or Navigon apps. Annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles