Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?

Alloy

I had never heard of Yankum ropes until I started seeing them on the Matt's Recovery youtube videos. I'm not saying they're not good ropes, but I think they're a pretty new company that is jumping in and leveraging the success of those videos, and that's why a number of people have even heard of them.

Looks like the company has only existed for about 10 months:

Curious what others think about this... would you rather go with a company that's been doing this a bit longer?

Description for 1" Yankum shows MBS of 52,300lbs but the label on the rope shows MBS of 33,500 which is the same for most 1" double braid

shade

It's not about saving ten bucks. It's about sizing the rope to the weight of the vehicle so that it actually gets some stretch. For my vehicle weight the 1" size is probably too stiff.
Yep. I'd direct specific questions about weights and applications to the KRR manufacturers. Differences in material and construction don't seem to allow comparisons based solely on rope diameter.

Alloy

It's not about saving ten bucks. It's about sizing the rope to the weight of the vehicle so that it actually gets some stretch. For my vehicle weight the 1" size is probably too stiff.

Buy a 1" that is 10' longer and you'll have more strength and stretch

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Looking at the different sizes they offer, and the recommended vehicle weights, the WLL of 4K on the 3/4" must be a typo, right?

*6.3K if following the 3:1 safety factor that ASR seems to be using on the other three ropes.

We have an Xterra that weighs around 5300# loaded (no occupants). I'm thinking the 7/8" would be the safer choice, but the 3/4" could work, assuming that number on the product page is a typo. For our weight, 1" seems like it'd be overkill, and would be hard to get much stretch out of it.
I believe it is a typo and your ~6,300 lbs rating is right.
There's no single right diameter and length so don't get too wrapped around the axle.

Stretch is given in percent of rating.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 11.29.03 AM.png

So when comparing plain double braid 7/8" (28,300 lbs) to 1" (33,500 lbs) given a length of say 30 feet assuming a typical recovery of perhaps 6,300 lbs (which would be fairly significantly mired) the difference in stretch isn't tremendous. The 7/8" is loaded to 22.2% of rating and will elongate 13.5% (4.1 feet over 30 feet) and the 1" is loaded 18.8% and will elongate 11% (3.3 feet over 30 feet). The difference is 9.6" over the 30' length. To really make a difference you'd have to compare to 3/4" (19,000 lbs rated) or 1-1/8" (44,900 lbs).

FWIW, I went 7/8" x 30' ASR for my Tacoma, which is considerably lighter at about 5,500 lbs.

outback97

Adventurer
I believe it is a typo and your ~6,300 lbs rating is right.

There's no single right diameter and length so don't get too wrapped around the axle.

Stretch is given in percent of rating.

View attachment 565943

So when comparing plain double braid 7/8" (28,300 lbs) to 1" (33,500 lbs) given a length of say 30 feet assuming a typical recovery of perhaps 6,300 lbs (which would be fairly significantly mired) the difference in stretch isn't tremendous. The 7/8" is loaded to 22.2% of rating and will elongate 13.5% (4.1 feet over 30 feet) and the 1" is loaded 18.8% and will elongate 11% (3.3 feet over 30 feet). The difference is 9.6" over the 30' length. To really make a difference you'd have to compare to 3/4" (19,000 lbs rated) or 1-1/8" (44,900 lbs).

FWIW, I went 7/8" x 30' ASR for my Tacoma, which is considerably lighter at about 5,500 lbs.

Great informative reply, thank you. Sounds like 7/8" x 30' would be the best choice for ours at 5300#, but 1" x 30' would be a good option too.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Great informative reply, thank you. Sounds like 7/8" x 30' would be the best choice for ours at 5300#, but 1" x 30' would be a good option too.
You can't really go wrong since a case could be made for or against either at our weights. The reason I went 7/8" is so that I didn't need as much speed to get it to stretch especially since I went with the longer rope. The reality is to have a mired factor of one or greater would mean you're really stuck, either buried to the axles or on a fairly steep slope. Most of the time you need less force than your GVW to actually get unstuck.

Alloy

The rope needs to be long enough so the vehicle doing the pulling can create enough momentum which is hard to do with 20'. I like 40' (30% stretch =12ft) for my F350 which I can shorten with a bowline or extend with or multiple wraps of the 1/2" polyester I carry.

If the section of nylon is too long the rope absorbs the energy.

shade

Fwiw, I bought an ASR 1"x20' KRR for my Toyota Tacoma. For the weight & size of my truck, it made sense. I know it doesn't affect the KRR's stretch/energy, but I can use a static tow strap if I need a longer line.

shade

......or worse what the rope is attched to on the vehicles.

I spent a few minutes on YouTube looking for one, but most of the failures titled as "snatch straps" are of people using a tow strap improperly.
Imagine that.

Alloy

Fwiw, I bought an ASR 1"x20' KRR for my Toyota Tacoma. For the weight & size of my truck, it made sense. I know it doesn't affect the KRR's stretch/energy, but I can use a static tow strap if I need a longer line.
1" will allow a larger vehicle to pull you out but 20 will only be 5-6' of strech at full load less with the Tacoma.

This is what I did in a past life but with larger trees and 100' more rope. If they put allot more wraps around the logs they come off the beach fist try.

dreadlocks

good time for this thread, I just used mine for the first time today after carrying it for years.. pulled out a big ass fedex box truck and about 4 of my neighbors in the snow.. hadda use my dogleash as a soft shackle on a prius because of its itsy bitsy recovery points.

Anyhow, I had 30ft and it seemed long enough for getting out of deep snow.. but other than the box truck I didnt get as much elongation as I would had wanted, even with trucks my size so I think I may have over done it on the weight.. snow recovery is why I carry em, chances of me going into a big mud pit are pretty minimal so should I go for a longer rope instead of strap right at my weight or a little under?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles