Best layout to sleep 2 adults, 2 small kids?

zimm17

Observer
I sold my F250 and picked up a '15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. So now my tow rating went from 11000 to 3500. I'm thinking I want to go camping in the national forest parks where there's off roading and forest trails and the ability to camp when you get up there. Now that I'm 40, I'm really liking the idea of doing better than a tent on the ground.

As I formulate what kind of trailer to buy or build…. what works best for two kids currently 3 and 5 years old? I'm a little concerned about a high mounted tent over a trailer. We all fit in a 4 person family tent, but a queen size mattress isn't going to hold 4 of us in sleeping bags either (like the little off road tear drops).

What works?

Louisd75

Adventurer
I sold my F250 and picked up a '15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. So now my tow rating went from 11000 to 3500. I'm thinking I want to go camping in the national forest parks where there's off roading and forest trails and the ability to camp when you get up there. Now that I'm 40, I'm really liking the idea of doing better than a tent on the ground.

As I formulate what kind of trailer to buy or build…. what works best for two kids currently 3 and 5 years old? I'm a little concerned about a high mounted tent over a trailer. We all fit in a 4 person family tent, but a queen size mattress isn't going to hold 4 of us in sleeping bags either (like the little off road tear drops).

What works?

I'm currently building a version of Camp Inn's 560 model. It's got a queen size bed and bunks that convert into a couch for the kiddos

Here's their version: http://tinycamper.com/raindrop560ultra.htm

Mine is a bit simpler and has recessed wheels to match the track width of my truck. My plan is for the kiddo(s) to sleep in the bunks til they're too big (top bunk is approx 5'x2.5', bottom is approx 5'x2'). If (when) the bunks are outgrown I'll likely make a sleeping platform in the truck for them.

If you're interested in building I'd recommend you take a look at www.TNTTT.com. There are a few builds and plans that I've seen that are designed for families.

rcintx

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat (5yo and 4mo). I really want a van or pop up, with the pop-up making the most sense. I will be following this thread.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I have a Lifetime tent trailer with a 3500# axle and 15 Wranglers over the stock 2K axle and 12 inch tires.

We use to sleep three kids and 2 adults. It is nothing more than a tent on wheels, no power, water or anything else on board. It has been dragged through portions of Moab (needed a new axle after that ... but hey, wanted the 3500# one anyways!), as well as most of the Western states from Canada to Mexico. It spends most of it time on trips in National Parks or on Forest Roads. Probably have towed it close to 30k miles in the last 3 years. When not camping, it is an all purpose utility trailer.

A Jumping Jack is a nice trailer, but was much more expensive when I bought mine.

Used Lifetimes can be found on Craigslist for 12-1500. Used Jumping Jacks are still pushing 4-5K.

Thanks!
Anthony

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Same here original life time tent trailer. When its just two little kids and parents we use the Subaru 19-21mpg. When we have a grandparent tag along we take the Sequoia. Tempted to get bunk bed cot set up for the kids for the more defined sleeping space, they sleep better that way. I rigged mine with LED lighting powered by a solar generator 50caliber ammo box mounted to the front plate. Works great. Just ran 1200lbs of tree limbs to the dump with it this morning.

zimm17

Observer
Wow, great ideas fellas. I'm going to read up on those. The lifetime tent looks like the just the ticket. I need a utility trailer anyways...

zimm17

Observer
Looks like the lifetime isn't available anymore. At least not as Costco. The jumping jack looks cool, but not $7000 cool. I was even toying with the idea of converting a small enclosed cargo trailer. It really doesn't need insulation or plumbing either. Some kind of flop down bunks and fold out sofa/bed arrangement, porta potty under a box (like a pop would use), and some windows for light/ventilation? Or is it better to get a trailer-top tent on a cargo trailer?

Stegerman

It doesn't have to be high mounted. You can put it right on a trailer like many of us have. Then you are really only a short height off the ground. As the kids get older, you can decide if you want to elevate or not.

The Lifetime style trailers aren't bad either, just don't rule out an RTT.

alia176

Explorer
I have four people sleep in the Kamparoo w/o issues. The kids are sprawled on the floor (along with the dogs) while the adults are on the bed. Someone here found a cool military two level cot that they use for their two daughters inside their Kamparoo. If the weather gets real bad, the kids are inside playing board games or just hanging out reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles