Best Jeeps for Overland Travel

autism family travels

You cannot beat a wrangler 4 door. Either one will get you places other vehicles will not go. From the base model to the rubicon. They are awesome. I am on my second one and will never be without one again. As for on road prowess, a few inexpensive add ons and it will drive as good as anything else without losing off road ability.

WSS

Rock Stacker
You can overland on rocks too with a TJ

IMG_2831_zpsn7p3w2gt.png

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The LX470 is fine for overlanding. Did use the big brother Landcruiser 200 (near LX570) to cross africa and travelling south america.

The Jeep is lighter, what helps if you plan serious offroad (at weekends, for extended he is to heavy again)

vw-kaefer-transafrica-wohnwagen-herbie-weltreise.jpg

Any car can be used for overlanding - if we look what that small beatle did ;-) Transafrica, Panamericana and more...

I'm surprised the bug didn't oveheat pulling that trailer. I've owned a bug,a Squareback and a '74 bus. None had enough power let alone to tow with.

smlobx

Wanderer
Well
as said above everyone will have a different answer. Dan’s Wrangler is an amazing Vehicle but is primarily for one person. If you are thinking of taking your spouse, like me, then a Gladiator Rubicon is hard to beat. I’m just starting to outfit it but should have it done by next spring..

4FDE2832-9F16-4DDB-91FA-F008F7ABE985.jpeg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Well
as said above everyone will have a different answer. Dan’s Wrangler is an amazing Vehicle but is primarily for one person. If you are thinking of taking your spouse, like me, then a Gladiator Rubicon is hard to beat.

My current Jeep was designed and built for 2 people (it IS a 4 door after all), and it worked very well for two people to live in full-time when my then-girlfriend came over to Africa.

-Dan

Op you post has the feel of a troll. But assuming you are not I offer this info.
Having owned a land cruiser 100 the last year with center locker several jeeps starting in 77 all the way up through a jkur jlur and now a gladiator rubicon my opinion that is the way to go so many options for the bed from bed racks and rtt to alucab to the ....?...out of Prescott , even small campers , you can now get a diesel so some serious range. And you have about a billion upgrades mine is gator with dark saddle leather heated seats off road gages I can put 35s on it nolift solid dana 44 axels front rear lockers take the top off and enjoy the world as you explore. I have seen the 470 on the road they don’t seem that roomy but I admit I have never driven one. They don’t inspire a lot of confidence for any serious off road trails to solitude.
Do you self a favor go down and drive a well optioned gladiator. And also talk the dealer into lettin the air out down to 32psi. At 37 to 40 psi they don’t ride as nice And if I am not doing 80 I get 22mpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Well
as said above everyone will have a different answer. Dan’s Wrangler is an amazing Vehicle but is primarily for one person. If you are thinking of taking your spouse, like me, then a Gladiator Rubicon is hard to beat. I’m just starting to outfit it but should have it done by next spring..

View attachment 608188
That's a very nice looking truck! I'll admit we drove through a dealer lot yesterday and gawked at them for a minute, just long enough to avoid a salesman, but it's going to be some time before were in the position or the market again. I think that could be the best choice currently out there for a long distance go most places mobile.

billiebob

Best one is the one which fits YOUR NEEDS.

For me, my wife, plus 70# of Rotti thats a TJR plus a Square Drop.
I wish there were a smaller 4x4 which could tow 1500# but the TJR is the most compact unit under 20 years old.

If I were younger, I'd likely pick a JKU but what I have now involves zero setup or packup. Is ready to go or park instantly. And other than buying fresh food, the unit can be parked for 6 months and be coupled up in minutes.

DSCN1483.jpeg

mschnitger

We have a '19 GC Trailhawk, and '08 JKU. We like the capabilities of the Trailhawk and it being a comfortable vehicle for a long trip while still having the JKU.

T-Willy

What's everyones thoughts on which Jeep is the best for Overland Travel? There are so many different models.

I've read a few articles saying good things about the Gladiator - but I don't see the upside of having a pickup bed in a vehicle you intend to live out of.

I currently have an LX470 - are there any Jeeps comparable in internal size and comfort to those?

I'm not into rock-crawling, but I want a vehicle that has a decent level of off-roading capability just so I can get to campsites I might want to explore.

Note: I am not wedded to the idea of a Jeep - I'm just trying to determine if there are any worth considering. I will want a new rig at some point, and the Grenadier is not available yet!

Edit - decent payload is important to me too!

Wait - your 470 is a very durable, reliable and capable platform... Why not put a pop top roof on it - Campteq?

Steve321

Interesting...I didn't know you could get a poptop for a 470. Know any manufacturers? Campteq seems to be defunct.

Best one is the one which fits YOUR NEEDS.

For me, my wife, plus 70# of Rotti thats a TJR plus a Square Drop.
I wish there were a smaller 4x4 which could tow 1500# but the TJR is the most compact unit under 20 years old.

If I were younger, I'd likely pick a JKU but what I have now involves zero setup or packup. Is ready to go or park instantly. And other than buying fresh food, the unit can be parked for 6 months and be coupled up in minutes.

View attachment 608793
Can you share some pictures and information about your trailer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online