best homemade van build forum, expo forum for van builds seems dead

lcavalletti

Observer
You could always come to Alabama. I've only had my Sprinter for a few months, but I'm already sick of the jokes and comments about why I have a van and what I'm going to do with it. If you even mention Van Life, you get a lot of confused faces. Definitely the odd ball.

HA HA, you should see California, every other vehicle is a sprinter with an aluminess ladder. Now if you go up the 395 corridor to the sierras, its ridiculous, every vehicle is a van and every campground is full of hipsters with 100K dollar Sprinters. its absurd

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
HA HA, you should see California, every other vehicle is a sprinter with an aluminess ladder. Now if you go up the 395 corridor to the sierras, its ridiculous, every vehicle is a van and every campground is full of hipsters with 100K dollar Sprinters. its absurd

Pfft, they pave the streets in Hood River, Oregon with $100K+ Sprinters

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
That's too bad. My wife and I talked a few times about buying your Tacoma when it was for sale a few years ago. I always liked reading your build threads and hoped you'd have more on your E350 and Sprinter vans.

Thanks! Maybe as I get closer to finishing the sprinter I’ll do a small build thread on it. I’ve got so much time into I’d really rather not solicit input that might make me change my mind on anything that’s in the works. haha

I will say that other people’s builds have been a huge source of knowledge and ideas, so even if I’m not posting on other people’s builds, I really appreciate being able to read through them.

KlutchInd

I'll admit, I don't spend nearly as much time on forums as I used to. I started one back in the heyday that became pretty popular (caferacer.net) and then sold it when my interests turned more to racing. Maybe I got my fill. This one has some great builds and trip reports that suck me in from time to time but I don't do much chatting in here. I will agree though, it does seem slower.

I personally started driving vans when I started racing motorcycles. Seemed like the only practical way to haul and camp on a budget. Vans were my daily drivers for years. Now I'm pretty sure I'll always have one.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I'm in the process of building my van now (nothing fancy). Wish there was more van activity on here so that I could steal some good ideas for layout and cabinetry.

Eagle05

Adventurer
I personally started driving vans when I started racing motorcycles. Seemed like the only practical way to haul and camp on a budget. Vans were my daily drivers for years. Now I'm pretty sure I'll always have one.

I haven't had a motorcycle in a few years, but every time I look behind the driver's seat I think, "There's so much space! I should get a bike."
If only I could get a really beefed up electrical system, then I could save for an Alta Enduro electric bike that would charge off the van. It would be much nicer than sharing sleeping quarters with a gasoline engine.

As for online van activity, maybe this will spur some discussion. Or bated breath anyway.
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 19.12.34.png

Len.Barron

Observer
If you have a van that you are working on/building and don't have a build thread (somewhere)then you are part of the problem (with forums like these slowing down). Everyone wants to search up detailed threads with lots of pictures of exactly what they want...and then they get that information and never reciprocate...forums are two way streets guys, you got give as much as you get.
My build thread is over on the dieselplace site now (because I'm still working the engine/body swap) but will migrate here when I begin the interior build out and want to leverage off that knowledge that is more focused here.
The instant gratification of Facebook groups, Instagram, Pinterest etc...is hurting the dedicated forums, a lot of good info is in non-searchable format when it's broadcast like that..

mgmetalworks

Explorer
If you have a van that you are working on/building and don't have a build thread (somewhere)then you are part of the problem (with forums like these slowing down). Everyone wants to search up detailed threads with lots of pictures of exactly what they want...and then they get that information and never reciprocate...forums are two way streets guys, you got give as much as you get.
My build thread is over on the dieselplace site now (because I'm still working the engine/body swap) but will migrate here when I begin the interior build out and want to leverage off that knowledge that is more focused here.
The instant gratification of Facebook groups, Instagram, Pinterest etc...is hurting the dedicated forums, a lot of good info is in non-searchable format when it's broadcast like that..

NICE! LBZ/Allison swap! I want to see!

FDM2012

Adventurer
Once the heat let's up, it will/should be a little more active. Not much fun working on these things in 110+ Heat Index.

#HotFloridaSummers

KlutchInd

I haven't had a motorcycle in a few years, but every time I look behind the driver's seat I think, "There's so much space! I should get a bike."
If only I could get a really beefed up electrical system, then I could save for an Alta Enduro electric bike that would charge off the van. It would be much nicer than sharing sleeping quarters with a gasoline engine.

Don't forget the generator and gas cans! o_O:ROFLMAO:

nomad_games

Colorado is almost as bad now. If you're on 70 or 285 on the weekend headed to the mountains, the bumper to bumper traffic is full of Sprinters and Sportsmobiles. What's funny to me is how many of them you see parked at hotels at night.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Oh, I am well aware. I grew up in Dallas, and my family is still there.... HOT HOT HOT.

This evening, (in Tampa) my house windows were fogged up (condensated), and my interior A/C was only set to 74.

#BALMY!!

Same is Texas :cool:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles