Best ground tent under $500 for 2 kids and 2 adults

vartz04

Adventurer
Any suggestions? Just sold my oz tent RV2 because it was really only for 2 people. I'd like similar durability don't necessarily need that ease of setup. Camping will change with the whole fam going for a while so it will be the same spot for 3-4 nights at a time.

I don't have to spend the whole $500 either. If there is a $300 tent that is great I am good with that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Parameters? Compactness? 3 season? Mountian storm proof? Desert wind proof? Stand up room? Vestibule? Fit in the car? Quick drying or heavy duty? One person set up or two person set up? Anchors needed or not acceptable (like on granite shield domes).

Need more info. For starters, check out Nemo. Awesome products. More conventionally, try the REI Habitat or Base Camp 6 (more weatherproof), or go the other way and check out Springbar canvas tents

Last edited:

vartz04

Adventurer
Parameters? Compactness? 3 season? Mountian storm proof? Desert wind proof? Stand up room? Vestibule? Fit in the car? Quick drying or heavy duty? One person set up or two person set up? Anchors needed or not acceptable (like on granite shield domes).

Need more info. For starters, check our Nemo. Awesome products. More conventionally, try the REI Habitat or Base Camp 6 (more weatherproof), or go the other way and check out Springbar canvas tents

Midwest camping so thunderstorms proof. Stand up would be nice but not required. I'd lean more HD than quick drying. One person setup would be best. Vestibule not required. Anchors can be used everywhere I camp. No issue with cargo space. I had an OzTent. They're big.

For what you are describing, I did a lot of research. I ended up with the kodiak 10x14. The second runner up was the cabelas 8 man Alaskan guide. I actually liked the cabelas better but I went with kodiak for the set up. I can have it up by myself in pretty reasonable time. I do like to have my wife line up the pieces that go in the sidepoles while I spring them in place, but can easily do it myself. The Alaskan Guide from everything I was able to read was not a one person set up. The canvas does seem to require more care and is a lot heavier and bulkier.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

vartz04

Adventurer
For what you are describing, I did a lot of research. I ended up with the kodiak 10x14. The second runner up was the cabelas 8 man Alaskan guide. I actually liked the cabelas better but I went with kodiak for the set up. I can have it up by myself in pretty reasonable time. I do like to have my wife line up the pieces that go in the sidepoles while I spring them in place, but can easily do it myself. The Alaskan Guide from everything I was able to read was not a one person set up. The canvas does seem to require more care and is a lot heavier and bulkier.
I am looking hard at the 6 person Alaskan. Kodiak is nice but super heavy. It weighs more than the OzTent does

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I have a Marmot Limestone 8 that needs to go. It's the older orange model without the second door but has only been used for 4 nights. I bought it last spring. It sets up with a separate room for the kids, is easily stand up height, and has good room for 4 or more.

Selling to move back to a camper, not because the tent isn't awesome.

reaper229

With kids you are better with a floorless shelter like seekoutside or kifaru,tigoat.
6dcd1043b96ae16b08b6c27f7c74899a.jpg
d0eb392c0e361eeb107be1f207bd65b6.jpg
1289089d2df27cf8e10a69052c93655e.jpg
65e712dcc7744dd8f409d0d0ea806d68.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

reaper229

Right up until ants or bugs find their way inside and wreak havoc in the middle of the night. No thanks. My kids whine enough without waking up covered in bug bites.
Never got any problems with bugs and i live in a very buggy place,have you even try this kind of shelter before saying such thing?I use floorless shelter since 2014 and they are the easier,faster and lightweight shelters to use,floorless isnt a problem when you know how to use it.Haters gonna hate i guess.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Never got any problems with bugs and i live in a very buggy place,have you even try this kind of shelter before saying such thing?I use floorless shelter since 2014 and they are the easier,faster and lightweight shelters to use,floorless isnt a problem when you know how to use it.Haters gonna hate i guess.

I live in South Louisiana. I get bugs in my house with the doors closed. A tent with no floors is a non-starter in fire ant and mosquito country. I'm glad it works for you. Also, why on earth would I want to camp on the dirt inside a tent. You leave your shoes on inside the tent I guess. But whatever works for you.

Alloy

We bought Cabellas 8 person Alaskan Guide on sale for the 4 of us + dog. Easy to set up kids 8/12 can do it. The vestibule isn't huge but big enough. I made a bottom sheet from a heavy tarp and a 1/4" foam liner for the inside.

It is almost retired (summer only) now due to the fact that setting up in the rain meant the inside is wet/soaked before the fly was on.

encryption

We bought the 3 bedroom Ozark from Walmart and had 4 free chairs included. Decent tent, steady in the wind, waterproof, have used it a few times, goes up easy, each room has a divider to sleep in privacy, easily houses a queen sized inflatable mattress in each room with room to spare around the sides, built in awning in the front has sufficient share for 4 chairs, has it's on roller bag to stuff into, which is the worst part about this tent.

We use 1 room to house the supplies and take your shoes off etc. the two other rooms are for sleeping.

Reactions: WVI

uberhahn

Observer
I have an REI Kingdom 6 (with garage). I camp with 5 total (3 kids). Tent has been 100% in terms of durability and function. But, not something I like to deploy and break down frequently. I use it for a basecamp over 3 nights. Most of my camping is now shorter stays, so seriously considering something like a Gazelle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles