Best GPS for around $400

croz

Observer
I've been lurking here at this site for a while ...very impressed. I've been looking for a GPS with topograghy as my factory nav is definitely only for the street.

I've been looking through countless posts but I can't seem to find which unit would be best.

Can you guys please offer some assistance on finding a good gps (primary use is Offroad) for around $400. Larger the screen the better.

I would consider outfitting my laptop but I can't seem to locate topo software that is compatible with a laptop gps.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Garmin Colorado is sweet, the 300 is $400, but you have buy the topos for an additional ~$80.

croz

Observer
Thanks Ryan, can you make routes on your laptop with this one and then put it into the GPS unit?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I really like my Garmin 60csx. Small screen for a vehicle but it is great for hiking and mtn. biking. I use it weekly to track my outdoor activities. I did buy the extra software. So that ups the price a bit. It is definitely worth looking at.

akphotobob

Observer
If you are interested in something for your laptop, Delorme Topo is a very good topographic map software that now includes all the info from their Street Atlas program. Street Atlas is an excellant program and works extremely well with an optional gps. I don't know if Topo will work with the gps but it would be worth looking into.

croz

Observer
thanks for the input guys. I've been calling around and I think the best option for me is the Colorado 300 that doesnt come with the Topo maps. You must buy them separately but this also allows you to use your laptop as a GPS (using a free download from Garmin and the 300 as the antenna) as well as just plotting routes.

The 400 has its own maps but it doesn't allow you to make the routes with the same level of ease as using the external maps.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
croz said:
thanks for the input guys. I've been calling around and I think the best option for me is the Colorado 300 that doesnt come with the Topo maps. You must buy them separately but this also allows you to use your laptop as a GPS (using a free download from Garmin and the 300 as the antenna) as well as just plotting routes.

The 400 has its own maps but it doesn't allow you to make the routes with the same level of ease as using the external maps.

Sounds like you've got a good understanding, I don't understand why they don't give you a CD with the 400....of course you want the maps on your computer...

the colorado is an awesome unit.

croz

Observer
akphotobob said:
If you are interested in something for your laptop, Delorme Topo is a very good topographic map software that now includes all the info from their Street Atlas program. Street Atlas is an excellant program and works extremely well with an optional gps. I don't know if Topo will work with the gps but it would be worth looking into.

My dad has the Delorme software and is very happy with it. I considered this but I'm really starting to lean hard toward the Colorado because of the large screen on the handheld as well.

Crazyfish

I've had the 60csx for about a year. I bought it to mark trails in Wyoming and download to a pc. The Ranch had new wranglers every few years and people were forgetting... I also use it in my old Land Rover, and the screen is a bit small but good in a pinch. Topo maps were nice. The coolest feature was downloading to Google Earth and playing the trail on screen in 3D. With trails for horses and hiking over 7000 feet and up to 3000 difference, 3D got the point across quickly. I found the screen bright. It was always waterproof in the rain. Not sure what the price point is now, but I give it an A for topo, toughness, and updating.

I'm on a Mac, and can't use many PC features, but updates work and Google makes it fun.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Crazyfish said:
I've had the 60csx for about a year.

Hey, Crazyfish. Welcome to ExPo! I'm the same person on ROVERS Club, except I don't post much because... I don't have a Rover. :eek: Looks like you guys had a blast at SCC. Just wanted to say hi - now back on topic. ;)

I've never had my hands on one, but the buzz surrounding the Magellan Crossover has been reasonably positive. The display size is better suited to automotive use than the hand-held units, and the price is in-line with your budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier