Best full size SUV under $7,000

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Also bear in mind not all Denalis/Escalades are AWD, some are 2wd. They do have a 6.2 and 9.5 semi-floating 14 bolt rear axle.

Hydroboost is a must and the GMT 900 front brake upgrade is great. Bear in mind the big brake swap requires 17" wheels.

1stDeuce

Explorer
LOL thanks but I meant tips on how to find them, best value sources from unsalty places, willing to travel.

Ideally not just 4WD but locking diff, or easily converted.

Good luck finding an 8.1L burb. They didn't make very many 2500 burbs, and even less with the 8.1L. Add Quadrasteer and it's a total Unicorn... :)

Locking diff is not hard to add if you want it. Factory G80's are on ebay as rebuilt units for reasonable prices, and any axle shop should be able to make short work of installing one since they will not have to mess with pinion bearings or depth at all, only adjusting/shimming the diff for pattern and preload. (10.5" axle has adjusters both sides, so it's EASY, 9.5" axle has one adjuster and one shim pack, so a little more involved, but usually swapping the shims over from the removed diff is all that's needed...)

john61ct

Adventurer
Good luck finding an 8.1L burb. They didn't make very many 2500 burbs, and even less with the 8.1L. Add Quadrasteer and it's a total Unicorn... :)

Locking diff is not hard to add if you want it. Factory G80's are on ebay as rebuilt units for reasonable prices, and any axle shop should be able to make short work of installing one since they will not have to mess with pinion bearings or depth at all, only adjusting/shimming the diff for pattern and preload. (10.5" axle has adjusters both sides, so it's EASY, 9.5" axle has one adjuster and one shim pack, so a little more involved, but usually swapping the shims over from the removed diff is all that's needed...)
Thanks great info.

Don't seem to need Quadrasteer specifically.

Willing to give up 4WD in general, seems to be very very rare with 8.1L even in forestry trucks!

It's the heavy towing I want, would really rather avoid going to diesel.

I tend to be a very lucky fellow when I set my mind to something, so I will reman optimistic

bigdogyj

Thanks great info.

Don't seem to need Quadrasteer specifically.

Willing to give up 4WD in general, seems to be very very rare with 8.1L even in forestry trucks!

It's the heavy towing I want, would really rather avoid going to diesel.

I tend to be a very lucky fellow when I set my mind to something, so I will reman optimistic

A couple 8.1’s

2001 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD Autoride

2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 - 4x4 - 8.1 liter / 1 owner - low miles

If you want to go all out... B6 armored

2001 Armored Suburban Class B6+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigdogyj

Now that's more like it!

no comment on the bulletproof's dystopian ad copy

How are you searching CL nationally?

Haha. Figured I’d throw it in for good laughs.

I use CPlus for Craigslist on iPhone and iPad.

Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with Thai app or developer. I’m just a satisfied customer of their app.

I have it setup to search basically west of the Mississippi minus the salty/rusty areas. You can setup a search and save it and it will alert you of any new matching results. I searched for 2 years or more before I found ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

billiebob

Ford, Chev, Dodge, MB, Toyota. Under $7K the best buy is rust free and low mileage. Otherwise, there is no difference between 15 year old SUVs, Brand is a non-sequitur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94