Best Fridge

Scotty D

So this is not the best fridge, but it seems to check more of your boxes than the NL which is very highly rated, and priced.

https://www.costco.com/massimo-cx40-12v-portable-e-kooler.product.100566493.html

I've been using it for a few months, and it's great. Doesnt use much power in fridge mode. It takes a bit more power to keep it under 5f though. if anything does go wrong, I'm hauling it in to costco and getting a new one.
One thing to keep in mind with coscto is that if your membership lapses, you lose all your warranties.
Even things like car batteries and tires. I had a 4 year battery that quit after two years but since my membership had expired , I was out of luck.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I recently purchased a 12v "off grid" standup fridge/freezer from Unique. It was the same price and draws the same low power as all the ARB and Wynter style chest fridges, but is 180qt. I just need to attach some brackets to bolt it into a cabinet and fab up some door latches and I think it will be ok in my rig.

Teacher88

I have an older whynter 45 quart. Best thing I have ever added to my van. I bought it used for $250 and as of right now they are selling for about $472 brand new on Amazon.

Never had a problem can run around the clock in the summer time with just my solar setup.
100w panel, cheap walmart 125 amp hour rv boat battery.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oldnslow

Observer
I have 18 or 19 years on an Engel MT45 with no problems. It spent 8 years running all summer after I retired, before that it was used regularly on weekends. It was used in a Jeep for many years then in a variety of RVs. Currently it lives in a van right next to my bed, it doesn't keep me awake at night. I highly recommend it.

TheRealPapaK

I recently purchased a 12v "off grid" standup fridge/freezer from Unique. It was the same price and draws the same low power as all the ARB and Wynter style chest fridges, but is 180qt. I just need to attach some brackets to bolt it into a cabinet and fab up some door latches and I think it will be ok in my rig.
I finally looked at these. They seem pretty great. For the same power draw and price they are double the capacity of the truck fridge. Now I'm wondering if it would be TOO big. Would like the space in my fridge or if I would prefer slightly more cupboard space?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes, it's a Canadian company and took a few months to get it here in the USA. I think it all comes down to what your needs are. I plan on needing food for several weeks without stopping somewhere, so I opted for capacity. My rig is big enough to accommodate though. We're gonna make it fit. I tried the 120v mini fridges on an inverter, it was a terrible setup, but it did work. Now we'll have a real fridge with an actual freezer! Never thought I'd be able to have ice cream whenever, wherever.
PXL_20201111_193234755.MP copy.jpg

TheRealPapaK

I pulled the trigger and ordered it this morning. I have the room(ish) and there are a lot of trips where there are 3 of us for almost a week so I think ultimately, when we need it, we won't regret having the extra space. The fact that it doesn't use any more power than a TruckFridge sold it for me.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Same fridge, the UPG-170 thing. Oh right, your crazy ambulance build. Been watching your progress on that. Yea, I'd say you have enough room for it, especially with all the headroom you have now! The bottom of that fridge has many factory bolt holes underneath. I'm going to utilize those to make a bracket without making new holes on the sides and such. Will let you know what I come up with when I get to it.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Ice cream is the best thing about a mobile freezer? Hmmm.

I'd say the capacity to rapidly cool room temp items down is the best thing and for keeping meat frozen. Then ice for cocktails.

Blows people away to be in the middle of nowhere with whiskey on the rocks.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh I'm going to love having ice cubes! The Unique fridge came with a small ice tray. We're thinking ice making will have to be done when van is parked and nobody is inside rocking the van about. ?‍♂️

part time nomad

Adventurer
Insulation is the key, also top loader is more efficient, as with a front door all the cold pours out when you open it.
I have a "minus 40" from South Africa, now 23 years old! runs on 12 or 24 volt also 240v its been well used round Africa and Europe over the years in the Land Rover.
I run an isotherm in the 7.5 tonner and it has given me problems, I am on the third one (under warranty) so I run the minus 40 as a back up.
Dometic have just started 12 volt compressor fridge freezers!

At the end of the day its a Danfos/secop compressor, you could always fit a normal house style compressor with a 12 volt compressor and extra insulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles