Best Fly Fishing River Motorcycle

Portage2Forage

Hey!
I was recently gifted a 1983 Yamaha XT250....unfortunately I took it in and it needs $1,500 worth of work (only 3k miles on it though)

I am looking for a bike that I can store on a sideways hitch to my SUV with my Flycraft boat on top. I would like to be able to drop the boat at my takeout spot, drive the car up river with a friend, float down and then cruise the bike back up to get the car. Ideally I want something on the lighter side (so it’s easy to get on hitch with one person), can handle trails well and isn’t too flashy so that it’s not as likely to be stolen.

What bikes do you think I should look into?

Thanks in advance!

wild1

Adventurer
Hey!
I was recently gifted a 1983 Yamaha XT250....unfortunately I took it in and it needs $1,500 worth of work (only 3k miles on it though)

I am looking for a bike that I can store on a sideways hitch to my SUV with my Flycraft boat on top. I would like to be able to drop the boat at my takeout spot, drive the car up river with a friend, float down and then cruise the bike back up to get the car. Ideally I want something on the lighter side (so it’s easy to get on hitch with one person), can handle trails well and isn’t too flashy so that it’s not as likely to be stolen.

What bikes do you think I should look into?

Thanks in advance!
I have done the same thing with both a TW 200 and now a WR 250 X. Either worked fine, easy to load with a short ramp and both around 300 pounds. You can find nice used specimens in the 2 to 3 thousand dollar range if you look around. I am thinking about selling the 250, it is set up nicely for this type of use and is low miles and excellent shape. IMG_0772.JPG

jkam

nomadic man
The XT 250 is a good choice, maybe not the 1983 model, but a newer one would be fine.
In the same category will be a Honda, a Kawasaki and and a Suzuki along with more exotic choices.
I have a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, the best little 250 out there. It really lives up to it's name well.
They aren't the easiest to find, but if you can find one, get it. They go for about $2500 for a sweet one in great condition.
It's air cooled with a carb, old school reliable and great for exploring.

Portage2Forage

I have done the same thing with both a TW 200 and now a WR 250 X. Either worked fine, easy to load with a short ramp and both around 300 pounds. You can find nice used specimens in the 2 to 3 thousand dollar range if you look around. I am thinking about selling the 250, it is set up nicely for this type of use and is low miles and excellent shape. View attachment 611389

How much do you plan to sell the 250 for?

That is the dilemma I am facing, buy something new or near new for 4-5k or put the $1,500 into the 83 XT250. I am leaning towards the older one as it will be my first bike and a cheaper way to get into the game. Then potentially upgrading at some point.

Question is, will I regret not simply upgrading from the jump? If I do sell the XT, is it worth $1,500 I’m working order?

Portage2Forage

The XT 250 is a good choice, maybe not the 1983 model, but a newer one would be fine.
In the same category will be a Honda, a Kawasaki and and a Suzuki along with more exotic choices.
I have a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, the best little 250 out there. It really lives up to it's name well.
They aren't the easiest to find, but if you can find one, get it. They go for about $2500 for a sweet one in great condition.
It's air cooled with a carb, old school reliable and great for exploring.

Thanks for the suggestion! Did a quick search and saw this one nearby...

Think this would be a better investment for me than putting $1,500 into the 83 Yamaha XT plus new tires?

jkam

nomadic man
The 2009 is the last year the Sherpa came to the US. $3100 is probably a little high, depending on what it has.
If you plan to use the bike often, then something newer and more modern would be nice to have long term.
If you plan to use it only as your fishing bike, then maybe the old XT would work out OK.

wild1

Adventurer
How much do you plan to sell the 250 for?

That is the dilemma I am facing, buy something new or near new for 4-5k or put the $1,500 into the 83 XT250. I am leaning towards the older one as it will be my first bike and a cheaper way to get into the game. Then potentially upgrading at some point.

Question is, will I regret not simply upgrading from the jump? If I do sell the XT, is it worth $1,500 I’m working order?
If I sell it I would be in the 3500.00 dollar range. Unless you need to get out on the open road and run with traffic it is probably overkill for a strictly dirt road shuttle vehicle. They are water cooled , 6 speed, fuel injected and have a pretty sophisticated frame and suspension. Mine has an oversized gas tank,hand guards, a Cycle City rear rack and Dot compliant knobbies.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    799 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    799 KB · Views: 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles