Best engine for Land Cruiser Troopy

7schulz

Reviving this old thread, have a Troopy on the way finally. Focusing in on diesel and manual trans. I want a simple mechanical diesel probably will need a turbo and a 5 speed. I think that’s leaves me with like H variant Toyota diesel or 4bt and a H55 or NV4500. Anyone have this combo sitting around to sell or run this combo?

hayde89

1hz can be bought new. But I am in the camp that they can handle a diesel but then you are starting the clock for a rebuild. 1HDT or 12HT are great choices with a nod to the 1hdt as parts for the 12ht can be a little more difficult. I have a troopy with a 2h and turbo and it moves it ok. Not great. But also have a 61 with a 12h-t and between the two I would prefer the 12h-t. I have also liked the idea of the 1kzt.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
There has always gotta be one guy and I am that one guy!

5.3 LS GM GAS engine with a 5 speed Tremec TKO transmission. Great power in a small package with modern Fuel Injection, hydraulic clutch and easy installation with kits readily available for wiring, engine installation and transmission installation.

Great Performance, Good Fuel Economy, Repair/Service Parts are EVERYWHERE and you can SAFELY run down the road faster than 60 MPH when ya need to!!!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
There has always gotta be one guy and I am that one guy!

5.3 LS GM GAS engine with a 5 speed Tremec TKO transmission. Great power in a small package with modern Fuel Injection, hydraulic clutch and easy installation with kits readily available for wiring, engine installation and transmission installation.

Great Performance, Good Fuel Economy, Repair/Service Parts are EVERYWHERE and you can SAFELY run down the road faster than 60 MPH when ya need to!!!
Just make sure it’s not one of the newer ones they are major junk. We’ve got a fleet of problems mine is down with bad valves at 40k miles right now

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just make sure it’s not one of the newer ones they are major junk. We’ve got a fleet of problems mine is down with bad valves at 40k miles right now

Eliminate the "Variable Valve Timing" on these engines with aftermarket computer/hardware upgrade and any problems go away!

This upgrade is a given with any LS engine swap application.

Fishenough

Creeper
Canadian?

You can, without extra duty charges on either side, import auto parts that match the vehicle being imported using that vehicle to carry the parts.

Last year imported a Suzuki Carry with extra locking axles in the box. More years ago bought myself a Porsche 928 to bring in a differential/ transmission. I've owned both a 1HZ and a 1HD, liking the extra power of the 1HD thou it was just as tractor like.

You could consider importing a 2007 70 series, or other LC, with a low mileage 1VD engine. No the best option with parts availability but it is a nice V8

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Fishenough

Creeper
Canadian?

You can, without extra duty charges on either side, import auto parts that match the vehicle being imported using that vehicle to carry the parts.

Last year imported a Suzuki Carry with extra locking axles in the box. More years ago bought myself a Porsche 928 to bring in a differential/ transmission. I've owned both a 1HZ and a 1HD, liking the extra power of the 1HD thou it was just as tractor like.

You could consider importing a 2007 70 series, or other LC, with a low mileage 1VD engine. Not the best option with parts availability but it is a nice V8

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

johanso

Adventurer
For travelling in North America I guess it's hard to beat the benefits of a chevy smallblock.

If you want to go diesel Toyota 1hd-fte would be nice but they are hard to come by these days. Other stout 6-cylinder diesels would be Mercedes OM606 and BMW M57. Both can be turned up to easily move a troopy without sacrificing reliability.

Kayak Taco

Reviving this old thread, have a Troopy on the way finally. Focusing in on diesel and manual trans. I want a simple mechanical diesel probably will need a turbo and a 5 speed. I think that’s leaves me with like H variant Toyota diesel or 4bt and a H55 or NV4500. Anyone have this combo sitting around to sell or run this combo?

I have a 4BT/NV4500 in my FJ40, and I'd not put it in a vehicle for long distance driving. It has great power and torque, gets 20mpg with 3.73 gears and 35s. It can run down the highway better than a 50 year old brick should. But, it's loud and rattly. I enjoy it for a toy, but I'd hate it on the road for hours at a time. Maybe in a newer closed cab truck it'd be more livable, but I equate the 4BT FJ40 to driving a farm tractor.
Fuel Economy is nice, but not the only factor. Right now with Diesel prices, a 20mpg Diesel and a 15 mpg gas motor cost about the same in fuel.
The easy button would be an LS swap for US travel. Huge parts availability, fairly simple, lots of info. Can be built as tame or as wild as you want. But I get that the heart wants what the heart wants, and I get the Manual/Diesel love.

tacollie

Glamper
I'm just curious. The original post says they want to be able to occasionally pull a trailer with a car. Are any of the Toyota diesels going to be up for that?

nickw

Adventurer
Gas - easy, crate Chevy small block

Diesel - I'd go with the R2.8, which is basically designed for repowering Jeeps and Cruisers, it's what Profits uses:

Power numbers and weight generally in-line with the OEM Toyota stuff

I'd pick Gas / Petrol if it were me. I always wanted to do a 5VZ (3.4 out of the older Tacomas) with the OEM 5 speed in a cruiser....I know some of the S America LC's used that engine.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Gas - easy, crate Chevy small block

Diesel - I'd go with the R2.8, which is basically designed for repowering Jeeps and Cruisers, it's what Profits uses:

Power numbers and weight generally in-line with the OEM Toyota stuff

I'd pick Gas / Petrol if it were me. I always wanted to do a 5VZ (3.4 out of the older Tacomas) with the OEM 5 speed in a cruiser....I know some of the S America LC's used that engine.
A prado or lightweight cruiser maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier