Best domestic full-size diesel truck?

mexpat

My Dodge

I'm looking to build an expedition truck and have pretty much settled on the Cummins. I like the size and the reliability of the engine. (We need something that'll take 3 car seats in the back seat) We're living in Mexico and want to do some camping in some of the ghost towns and areas off the beaten path. I'll be looking to head to Texas this summer in pursuit of a 2001 - 2003 vintage Ram with around 75K miles.

Anyone know about any specific reliability issue or design weaknesses associated with this truck? I've heard that braking is diseastrous on the mid to late 90's models and that an exhaust brake is a must. Was wondering if the newer ones stop a little better.

Since I don't have a truck to work on now, I did a mock up of what I'll be looking to do.

-Slight lift up front, Kore Performance
-Camping trailer and room for 5
-Various Interior Upgrades (DVD for Kids, GPS, etc.)
-Engine breathing enhancements (intake and exhaust)

View attachment 7653

Dave M.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
I would suggest the 03 and up. The stock power is more than adequate for what you're looking for and the brakes/steering are vastly improved over the 2nd gen versions. Transmission options are both pretty stout, NV5600 for the manual and 48re for the auto. If you do decide to up the power, you will probably want to build up the auto a little or go with an aftermarket clutch for the NV5600.

For suspension options you may also wish to look at www.thecarlisuspension.com and www.lorenzindustries.com. They are both good quality/comparable options at a cheaper price and from what I've seen and heard on TDR (www.turbodieselregister.com), Carli and Lorenz have superior customer service to Kore.

Kyle

mexpat

'04 cummins

Rockcrawler,

How do you like your '04? Have you made many changes, or what are your plans?

Thanks

TEETS

Observer
04.5 cummins

I am biased because I have a cummins but I also like the older fords. I bought my 04.5 cummins for a very resonable price(almost half original) and have been very pleased with it so far. I currently have the arb front bumper on it and on order a lorenz suspension system with 37s ready to go on it. I have the 48re auto trans and do tow with it and it is a solid tranny so far. I have had no problems and really love the rig.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Dave, that picture is a riot. You must be an artist.
I have a 2002 Dodge Cummins 3500 that I bought used with about 42,000 miles on it. Great truck. The thing to watch with the 2nd Gen trucks is the fuel pressure...the lift pumps go bad and burn out the VP-44. My 48re trans and brakes have been flawless, and I carry a 2300lb camper. I installed a full set of gauges in a custom console to keep an eye on things.
DSC02423.jpg

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
mexpat said:
Rockcrawler,

How do you like your '04? Have you made many changes, or what are your plans?

Thanks

I love my 04. It is the best truck I have ever owned. Only mods so far are EGT, Fuel Pressure and Boost Gauges, Roll and lock cover, BFG AT 315 70 17 tires, and a Parrot Bluetooth mobile phone system. Soon to have a removable custom rack on the back for the Rooftop tent and Lorenz 5100 system with the 6% over stock front coils and the Dual Purpose Leaf Springs.

Kyle

mexpat

Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for the great input. Sounds like '03 - '06 is best, and Lorenz seems to be the best option for a lift. Would love to see more pix of your Rams.

Dave M.

TEETS

Observer
My ram is a few threads down with the arb on it as soon as I get the lift in and on ill post some more pics.

Baja_Mike

TEETS said:
I am biased because I have a cummins but I also like the older fords. I bought my 04.5 cummins for a very resonable price(almost half original) and have been very pleased with it so far. I currently have the arb front bumper on it and on order a lorenz suspension system with 37s ready to go on it. I have the 48re auto trans and do tow with it and it is a solid tranny so far. I have had no problems and really love the rig.

Teets, I see that you are planning on running 37" tires. Are you going to run fiberglass fenders? If not you will need after market control arms if you don't want to crunch your fenders with the tires. I run the Carli system with the Carli control arms with stock fenders and 37" Toyos. No rubbing. :friday:

DSC00056.JPG

TEETS

Observer
Baja_Mike said:
Teets, I see that you are planning on running 37" tires. Are you going to run fiberglass fenders? If not you will need after market control arms if you don't want to crunch your fenders with the tires. I run the Carli system with the Carli control arms with stock fenders and 37" Toyos. No rubbing. :friday:

DSC00056.JPG

Your truck looks great Mike. I am not going to run new control arms or fiberglass fenders this is what sean lorenz sent me to tell me how to run 37's "37’s hit at full turn. They hit right at the lower back side of the wheel well. There is a pinch seam that needs to be bent back and a small adjustment to the fender itself. The fenders are bolted on. The adjustment consists of loosening the bolts, and nudging the fender all the way out, and then retightening the bolts. It moves the fender over less than a ¼”."

Baja_Mike

TEETS said:
Your truck looks great Mike. I am not going to run new control arms or fiberglass fenders this is what sean lorenz sent me to tell me how to run 37's "37’s hit at full turn. They hit right at the lower back side of the wheel well. There is a pinch seam that needs to be bent back and a small adjustment to the fender itself. The fenders are bolted on. The adjustment consists of loosening the bolts, and nudging the fender all the way out, and then retightening the bolts. It moves the fender over less than a ¼”."

:confused: Um........doesn't that take your fender out of adjustment (the gap would be way off wouldn't it?)? Also the fender liner covers that pinch weld. Does that mean you take out the fender liner? Or do you let it still sit there and get caught by the tire? I'm not quite sure I agree with this method. My control arms are 1/2" longer than stock and they're still really close. But I wish you the best of luck if you are going this route. :1888fbbd:

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Interesting read.. Charlie Aarons, old school from PBB and other sites.. A slew of cool trucks, nice to see you hangin around here.. Andre

TEETS

Observer
Baja_Mike said:
:confused: Um........doesn't that take your fender out of adjustment (the gap would be way off wouldn't it?)? Also the fender liner covers that pinch weld. Does that mean you take out the fender liner? Or do you let it still sit there and get caught by the tire? I'm not quite sure I agree with this method. My control arms are 1/2" longer than stock and they're still really close. But I wish you the best of luck if you are going this route. :1888fbbd:

I am going to try the method I said and if it looks bad or still rubs I will get control arms or fenders. I thought I would try this cheaper way first because I talked to the guys a lorenz they said you cant even tell anything is done to the fender and they do it to a lot of trucks that do not want the new fenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94