Best diff for FE 4WD conversion

I've mainly been looking at Dana 60's for a front diff on a FE 4WD conversion. Since there were so many variations, which would be the best for the front of a Fuso? When I say best, I mean the one with the closest compatibility without major modifications. High or low pinion, semi/full floating, with/without radius arms, and which stock ratio would match the rear diff of an FE439, or would the front/rear need to be regeared? Also, does anyone know if a diff will fit under the front without cutting and stepping the frame to make it like the FG?

ericvs

A friend of mine just did a FE 4WD conversion and he actually ended up getting some FG axles front and rear and used them (he swapped the rear axle as well so he has 4 wheel drum brakes instead of front drum and rear disc)

Twin stick atlas transfer case + custom front and rear driveshafts

**(edit below, I was mistaken with how much lift he did)**
Stock FE 160 springs in the front with a 2" block and used the stock rear springs with the overload removed an an 8" block. This allowed the front axle/pumpkin to clear no problem with 35" tires. No cutting of the frame or need for the step like the FG has.

Also made all the wheel speed sensors from the 2wd axles fit on the 4wd axles. Abs works and no codes.

1611032614119.png

Last edited:
A friend of mine just did a FE 4WD conversion and he actually ended up getting some FG axles front and rear and used them (he swapped the rear so he has 4 wheel drum brakes instead of front drum and rear disc)

Twin stick atlas transfer case.

He had to do a 10" lift to get the axles to fit with 35" tires. This actually ends up being about the same height as a 4" lift on an FG if I am not mistaken. No cutting of the frame or need for the step like the FG has.

Also made all the wheel speed sensors from the 2wd axles fit on the 4wd axles. Abs works and no codes.

View attachment 637436

That looks awesome, how did he go about lifting it 10 inches? I would prefer FG axles but I don't think I could afford them, plus this is an older rig from 1992. I can get a Dana 60 and NP205 from the local junkyard for a few hundred bucks, so that's the route I was hoping to go. Does your friend have a build thread anywhere?

ericvs

That looks awesome, how did he go about lifting it 10 inches? I would prefer FG axles but I don't think I could afford them, plus this is an older rig from 1992. I can get a Dana 60 and NP205 from the local junkyard for a few hundred bucks, so that's the route I was hoping to go. Does your friend have a build thread anywhere?

He currently just has massive blocks, but once he gets it all dialed in and running nice, his plan is to go with upgraded custom leaf springs.

Unfortunately, no build thread for this (at least none that he has told me about haha). I just sends me photos.

Here are a few more for you too.

Flex test. That flat frame sure looks nice for a camper without having to deal with the frame hump
1611115112615.png

Transfer case
1611115181205.png

Getting the ABS to work

1611115230243.png

1611115254681.png

he also just picked up a CM PL 12' flatbed. Camper box will follow and will sit on the flatbed.

1611115401362.png

Fun fact, overall length is 21.5", which is right around (or shorter than) a crew cab long bed pickup truck and this one has a 12' bed and could easily be 14' but he wanted to keep it under 22' for the local ferry system as they charge >2x the fee if you are over 22' long.

ericvs

Slight update. I spoke with him last night and I was wrong about the total lift that he did. I edited my first post, but he used stock FE springs up front with a 2" block and stock FE springs in the rear with the overload removed and an 8" block. This allowed everything to clear no problem with 35" tires.

kerry

Expedition Leader
My vague memory recalls that the FE and FG rear axles have different ratios. Could be wrong

Slight update. I spoke with him last night and I was wrong about the total lift that he did. I edited my first post, but he used stock FE springs up front with a 2" block and stock FE springs in the rear with the overload removed and an 8" block. This allowed everything to clear no problem with 35" tires.
That looks really high in the front for only a 2" lift, I would have guessed more than 6" higher than stock easily. Do you know where he sourced his axles from?

ericvs

That looks really high in the front for only a 2" lift, I would have guessed more than 6" higher than stock easily. Do you know where he sourced his axles from?

Here is the rig stock when it was purchased. Not sure, sort of seems like more, but that is what he said haha.

1611198970798.png

Here is where the axles were sourced from.

Attachments

• 1611196367551.png
    1611196367551.png
    289.7 KB · Views: 6

javajoe79

Fabricator
I'm guessing that because the stock front beam axle is curved at the ends, just putting a solid axle that is straight, under those springs, provides a decent amount of lift to begin with.

C p weinberger

Typically I would be all for using vehicle stock material as much as possible because you benefit from the research and development the original builders thought thru. With that said I think this maybe an exception. Here’s my thoughts;
You are choosing an alternate manufacturer transfer case which already changes criterium, you already need custom driveshafts
The original 4x4 differentials are in themselves very limiting in NA. You are limited in super single / tire options for that weight. You are limited in locker options.
The original front driveshaft uses a center location pumpkin, offset Ford/ GM may give you more clearance.
Dana 60 axle options in USA unlimited and relatively inexpensive
Tons of wheel/ tire options
Better braking options/ upgrades
Dana super 60, 99-2004 are another choice, unit bearings are frowned upon but that can be remedied and unit bearings are cost effective if you’re not rock crawling.
Rear axle corporate is very stout
Add emergency brake on transfer case.
My 2$

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94