Best current African route

Dwight

Hi everyone.. We have been over landing for a year in a Unicat MAN conversation, our next leg of the journey takes us to Africa.. We are running a small non profit that links universities across country.. Entering via Morocco with the view to ship the truck to LATAM at the end of 2020.

We have lived in Africa previously, but this is the first time we are over landing.. We are working through insurance and visas currently, planning to get to Morocco at the end of December.. Two generic questions that could help our planning..

1. Any routes that are current, possibly people travelling now.
2. We had planned to ship from Durban to Argentina, but heard that Senegal was a far better option, any suggestions.

Any advise would be great.. We have been living in the truck for the last year travelling through Scandinavia and Eastern Europe,, currently in Spain.. Instagram is 'konokoko.photos' ..

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey guys,

At the start of this year I finished up 3 years driving right around the perimeter of Africa, and I have a few friends who are still there now actually.

Given you're starting in Morocco, your only choice is to go south on the West Coast. Algeria and Libya are closed for all intents and purposes.

Going South on the West coast is an adventure like no other. If you go looking, you'll find some of the wildest places on the planet.
I crossed a border where the immigration guy had been working there for 3 years and had never seen a foreigner....

The visas are the very tricky part, and you'll want to keep your ears to the ground for the situation in Cameroon - it changes often I think.
Stop in at Zebrabar in Senegal, and then again at the sleeping camel in Bamako, Mali. You'll meet people there that have very up to date info, and will be able to tell you the situation with the Nigeria visa (currently the real sticking point)

Have a great time, feel free to ask any more questions you have. Tons of info on my site theroadchoseme.com

Cheers,
-Dan

Dwight

Thank you so much.. Amazingly we just listened yesterday to one of the podcasts you joined.. Will check out your site and keep you informed of our adventure!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Friends of ours from Germany, Manfred and Rosita are heading to Morocco. They drive a 1983 MAN Doka that’s home built blue and grey paint. They’ve been overlanding for years. Say hi from Dave and Pam if you see them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles