Best cooler for a 3 week trip?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Apparently there are various opinions, mostly based on personal experience and likes or dislikes. After reading all this back and forth it appears easier to just flip a coin.

richardoceros

That's a long trip. I've had my share of trips and I know that coolers are quite handy and one of the main priorities of any trip. I would gladly share what I know. Not going to mention that ton of completely crappy coolers that I have bought. I currently use a Rubbermaid durachill wheeled 5-day cooler. Keeps all the goodies for kids nice and cool. My drinks too. The only thing that I hate is that Ice retention doesn’t last for 5 days. There are many coolers that you can compare, I was looking at https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-cheap-coolers/ and choose my pick. At the time I got the cooler for 70$ which isn't much, really. At least it has a way longer life span than all the others I have used. There is a review on my cooler: Gotta say that the cooler is spacious. You or anyone else might find your perfect cheap cooler. Then again I am talking about the cheap and best cooler in my opinion. Obviously, there are better coolers that are 250+ but not everyone finds the need in spending that much on a cooler.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
I have an Engel 45 and Yeti 105. They both have their place. The Yeti we use in our trailer for bulk drink and food storage. The longest trip so far was OE East 18, 4000 miles and 16 days without having to top off the ice. I use to have to carry three colemans, (2) for drinks and food and the third for backup ice and I'd still have to top up every other day. The Yeti has been a real pleasure to have and use. Good luck!View attachment 514709

Are you saying your Yeti cooler kept ice (and your food or drink cold) for 16 days without ever adding ice? What were the ambient temps?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Are you saying your Yeti cooler kept ice (and your food or drink cold) for 16 days without ever adding ice? What were the ambient temps?

My apologizes, but I didn't record the daily ambient temperatures for Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma last fall. Please feel free to conduct your own historical ambient temperature analysis for the days leading up to and after OE East 18. Please calculate that the Yeti was also in an enclosed trailer and pre-cooled prior to departure. Thanks.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
My apologizes, but didn't record the daily ambient temperatures for Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma last fall. Please feel free to conduct your own historical ambient temperature analysis for the days leading up to and after OE East 18. Please calculate that the Yeti was also in an enclosed trailer and pre-cooled prior to departure. Thanks.
That's not good enough, Next Time make sure you log every thing, We want info, We know our Rights, LOLOLOLOLOL

Superduty

Adventurer
My apologizes, but I didn't record the daily ambient temperatures for Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma last fall. Please feel free to conduct your own historical ambient temperature analysis for the days leading up to and after OE East 18. Please calculate that the Yeti was also in an enclosed trailer and pre-cooled prior to departure. Thanks.

So, i guess you are confirming that was not a mistake and the yeti kept ice for 16 days? I guess i should have been more specific. Were the temps freezing, mild, warm, or hot. What was the average?

Very, very impressive for a cooler. Anything special you did? How often was it opened (I'm not asking for a log of each time it was opened, but more of an idea if it was a few times daily or one every few days)?

Even yeti doesn't advertise 16 days to my knowledge. That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Alloy

With canned goods and dehydrated meals you should be fine. Dry Ice would be helpful but I don't think dry ice is available in Canada.
When I was traveling through Canada to Alaska there was not any dry ice .

If you're ever in need again I get dry ice from:
Praxair Canada
1470 Derwent Way, Annacis Island
Delta, BC, Canada
Phone: 604-527-0700

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
So, i guess you are confirming that was not a mistake and the yeti kept ice for 16 days? I guess i should have been more specific. Were the temps freezing, mild, warm, or hot. What was the average?

Very, very impressive for a cooler. Anything special you did? How often was it opened (I'm not asking for a log of each time it was opened, but more of an idea if it was a few times daily or one every few days)?

Even yeti doesn't advertise 16 days to my knowledge. That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes, 16 days. I do not have a scientific or product explanation for how or why, but It was my experience and was pleased that it did.

Pre-cooling the contents and cooler. Please keep in mind we live at 9000 feet in the Rockies. The cooler and its contents were kept outside in an enclosed trailer during our normal early snow and temps in the 20's. No ice was added yet. Once on the road I added +/- 40 lbs of ice to the precooled cooler and contents. The Yeti 105 is a very tall cooler and the contents were completely covered with approx. 12 inches of ice. Since our camper has a fridge there was no need to remove any contents until needed to replenish what was used.
I do not recall opening the Yeti during the road trip out to OE East. But, at OE East it was opened several times to grab beer, waters, brats ice for cocktails. The temps at OE East were cold and wet. We probably saw the sun two times during the 16 days. Upon leaving the cooler still had approx. 90% of its ice. Also, since the cooler was new and I was worried about damage inside the trailer I covered it with a heavy moving blanket while on the road.

On the road trip home we stopped in northern Alabama to pickup 10lbs of frozen catfish that was frozen solid (nitrogen/dry ice frozen?) This was simply placed on top of the existing ice and the cooler wasn't opened again until we got home. Upon getting home the catfish was still frozen and approx. 70% of the ice remained.

Another example. We just got back from OE West. I did the same procedure as before. Precooled the cooler and contents. Added one, 5 lb bag of ice in Rifle, Colorado on the first day. On the third day I added a 20 lb. of ice in Flagstaff. This combination lasted the next 5 days during the event and the next two days until we got home. Maybe 30% of the ice was still solid when we pulled in.

Hope this clarifies for everyone. Good luck with which ever cooler you go with.

BTW, this is what I mean by mountain pre-cooling a cooler and contents......518084

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yes, 16 days. I do not have a scientific or product explanation for how or why, but It was my experience and was pleased that it did.

Pre-cooling the contents and cooler. Please keep in mind we live at 9000 feet in the Rockies. The cooler and its contents were kept outside in an enclosed trailer during our normal early snow and temps in the 20's. No ice was added yet. Once on the road I added +/- 40 lbs of ice to the precooled cooler and contents. The Yeti 105 is a very tall cooler and the contents were completely covered with approx. 12 inches of ice. Since our camper has a fridge there was no need to remove any contents until needed to replenish what was used.
I do not recall opening the Yeti during the road trip out to OE East. But, at OE East it was opened several times to grab beer, waters, brats ice for cocktails. The temps at OE East were cold and wet. We probably saw the sun two times during the 16 days. Upon leaving the cooler still had approx. 90% of its ice. Also, since the cooler was new and I was worried about damage inside the trailer I covered it with a heavy moving blanket while on the road.

On the road trip home we stopped in northern Alabama to pickup 10lbs of frozen catfish that was frozen solid (nitrogen/dry ice frozen?) This was simply placed on top of the existing ice and the cooler wasn't opened again until we got home. Upon getting home the catfish was still frozen and approx. 70% of the ice remained.

Another example. We just got back from OE West. I did the same procedure as before. Precooled the cooler and contents. Added one, 5 lb bag of ice in Rifle, Colorado on the first day. On the third day I added a 20 lb. of ice in Flagstaff. This combination lasted the next 5 days during the event and the next two days until we got home. Maybe 30% of the ice was still solid when we pulled in.

Hope this clarifies for everyone. Good luck with which ever cooler you go with.

BTW, this is what I mean by mountain pre-cooling a cooler and contents......View attachment 518084
Love That PIC, I am there in Mind if not in Body,

Thanks for posting It.

AlumniCU

One point on cooler vs fridge/freezer. I have spent a lot more than I expected for an extra battery, solar, chargers and other additional electric equipment. I love my system, but building an awesome 12v system has been addictive!

Cabela’s roto coolers work well and supplement the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've used my 45qt Yeti as a freezer to augment my fridge. Fill with frozen food and dry ice on the top. The food would stay frozen 5-6 days in summer temps. By the time it was defrosting , my fridge would be ready for restocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles