Best cooler for a 3 week trip?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
ok,here's one.freeze some milk jugs full of water,no wet food and infinitely reuseable.i've been doing that with my coleman etreme for years.saves me the cost of a fridge.takes up too much room?how much food do you need for an overnight?
This thread is about a three week trip. How is he going to refreeze gallon jugs without a freezer?

john61ct

Adventurer
With shopkeepers I use on a regular and high-volume basis, some would let me re-freeze my polar tubes overnight.

Or you could offer to pay for the service

But if it's a 2-hour trek between the campsite and the store, not worth the trouble.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
With shopkeepers I use on a regular and high-volume basis, some would let me re-freeze my polar tubes overnight.

Or you could offer to pay for the service

But if it's a 2-hour trek between the campsite and the store, not worth the trouble.

And this is why the fridges are so nice...

When is it not a 2 hour (at least) trek between the campsite and store?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
?
And this is why the fridges are so nice...

When is it not a 2 hour (at least) trek between the campsite and store?
BB, I gotta agree with you mate, not to mention leaving the family at the camp site or dragging them back to town to get Ice with Small kids in tow and Teenagers once in town don't wanna leave LOL,

Of coarse we can all rough it, I spent 6 month in the bush with nothing but a small stove and a cheap wallmart type stainless vacuum flask, and I was so glad to have them, And that was not that long ago, But now having these 2 Fridge Freezers creates a bit more peace of mind and when out in the bush I am where I want to be, living the good life. (y)

67cj5

Man On a Mission
those fridges are 31 liters.you are heading to the store after 5 days whether you want to or not.
A 31L fridge depending on how it is loaded and what is put in there can and will hold enough food for a couple of two for a couple of weeks, My 47l holds enough for just me for 43 Days, If a person is carrying fresh Vegetables and can foods then I can stretch it to about 50 to 55 Days,

It all depends whether a person eats only foods out of the fridge or mixes it with other non chilled foods, I own the 47L and the 78L/82Qt, In the 47L at present I have about 9 cooked meals in there 2Lbs of frozen Veg about half a dozen Sausages a Small Joint of Beef and a Pound of Minced Beef and 4.8 pints of Milk and a Pound of Butter and Half a Dozen Eggs and the ARB is less than half full and when cooked up that is enough to last me about 20 Days If I add a pack of pasta to the minced beef and a few Onions etc,

The key to having a well stocked fridge is to freeze it right and remove all that over sized supermarket packaging, Pre cooking and pre freezing meals beforehand is a major space saver and cryovac foods are even better because they keep for weeks and you don't have to run the fridge/freezer at such a low Temp, Remembering that we are talking about a few weeks travel not storing supplies for the Winter, So those cheap cryovac machines from Amazon are worth their weight in Gold,

After many hours of testing I am starting to wonder if I will ever get to use the 78L / 82Qt ARB, Like all things I made a Plan the use the 47L as a Fridge and the 78L as a Freezer but with the right temp setting and packaging the ARB 47L has both tasks covered Admirably and still with Room to spare,

EDIT:- I just Added another 4 Packs of Beef and another 4.8 pints of Milk X 2 which is close to 1.2 US Gallon and I still have a heap of room left.

Last edited:

hemifoot

Observer
i was on a forum this morning.someone posted a question,what is the preferred .357 revolver,s&w or ruger. 4 people chimed in GLOCK! .follow the way i'm drifting?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
i was on a forum this morning.someone posted a question,what is the preferred .357 revolver,s&w or ruger. 4 people chimed in GLOCK! .follow the way i'm drifting?

Yeah I'm with ya, trouble is I have a soft spot for the stainless 6" 686 but I like the Glock too, choices choices choices,

Trouble is he needs to know that there are better options out there, Where as buying a cooler is fine for the odd excursion but if these travels become more regular and then he decides that he needs a fridge he is then going to have a 3 or 400 dollar cooler sitting gathering dust or end up selling it at a loss, And a 31/35L Fridge is going to have the same amount of free space as a 49L Cooler by time you add the Ice to it and is going to weight close to 60Lbs,

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have an Engel 45 and Yeti 105. They both have their place. The Yeti we use in our trailer for bulk drink and food storage. The longest trip so far was OE East 18, 4000 miles and 16 days without having to top off the ice. I use to have to carry three colemans, (2) for drinks and food and the third for backup ice and I'd still have to top up every other day. The Yeti has been a real pleasure to have and use. Good luck!514709

hemifoot

Observer
on a side note,it's illegal to transport live fish in my province,and since my boat always travels with us on our camp/fish trips,i turned the livewell into a massive cooler.it's lined with 2" closed cell foam and coated in elastomeric roof coating and the outside is spray foamed. it keeps the drinks cold for weeks.i line the bottom with frozen 1 liter milk jugs and bags of ice i fill up from the fridge icemaker and don't have to carry a big cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles