Best Coating to Prevent Rust on Tools Attached to Outside of the Vehicle

haured

I carry a shovel and axe in an Aluminess rack on the back of a camper. What would be the best coating/lubricant to keep axe and shovel from rusting? Thanks.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
How about the new Rustoleum Never Wet? I have a Hilift mounted outside, and plan on maybe adding a Pull Pal and would hate for those to be rendered useless due to rust, when I need them most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

haured

Thanks

Thanks for some excellent ideas. Some I had thought of and several I had not. Hopefully others will continue to contribute ideas and discussion and that it will be helpful for others as well because as one of my brothers often says "the problem is that rust never sleeps!" Thanks again for the ideas.

madmax718

Explorer
he's not going to use it everyday.. I dont' think.

Just dip the whole thing in paint, and let dry. The first few chops, will make the paint come off.you can also use plastidip , and pull the whole thing off when needed. One time use only though.

I did forget about a few good things though;

Zinc Chromate, if you can get it. Its commonly pigmented yellow/green (like old ww2 stuff). Works very well. Zinc primer/epoxy primer does a good job too. These will all rub off as soon as you start chopping, so don't forget to re-apply.

mikelite80

Adventurer
I'll second the clear poly spray paint. The stuff gets used so don't want to spend too much time or money making them pretty. I'll hit the shovel with the grinder to sharpen and clean it up, few coats of poly and done. Axe tends to stay nicer. Run it on the sharpener, maybe a little steel wool and poly. Of course being in AZ our problems usually are more UV and heat damage then rust!

paulnb57

Observer
Smear with Lanolin, natures best, eco friendly, blah blah.......good stuff!.............It stops sheep rusting!

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior