Best Car Camping Cooler

Orananste

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new cooler but I am not that happy with it. It is the Igloo 3 Day Marine Cooler (48qt) I found it here. The walls weren't very thick and they seemed to be the same as a less expensive cooler. I paid $39.99 for it at ********'s Sporting Goods.

Throughout the 3 days I used it I had to add lots of ice and drain tons of water. It was in the shade most of the time.

Does anyone know of a cooler about the same size that performs well for about 3 days (and also has a drain plug)?.

Thank you for your help. Any thoughts or info would be great.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I think the Orca would be my choice and then Engel OR Peli and then the Yeti but they all make great Coolers,

Yeah the Ice consumption is what maid me buy a fridge PLUS over here I can only find 2 or 3 of those brands on sale so that was another reason the fridges won out with me.

Have a look at this test you will see exactly how they perform without any Biased views, This is the best Cooler Video on the Net,

Hope that helps, ?

Last edited:

highwest

One good option is Canyon Coolers. A little more affordable than the big names with equal to better performance, depending on who’s doing the testing. Lifetime warranty. Bear certified. Assembled overseas of American materials.

Geared

You may be able to modify your cooler to your needs.

I have an Igloo Marine cooler, as well. I built a Reflectix "cozy" for it that covers the top and sides. I sit the cooler on a piece of 1" Styrofoam inside of an old sleeping bag or blanket. If I'm stationary for a while, I'll cover it with a tarp. Doing that significantly increased the effectiveness of the cooler. It's not up to speed with my Orca but it's a lot better than it was for just a few bucks in materials.

TantoTrailers

If the lid is hollow you can drill a few small holes in it and then use a straw and the "Tuff Stuff" expanding insulation to fill that sucker up till it oozes out of the holes you drilled. This should help significantly!

DCH109

Adventurer
Somewhere (i cannot find it now) I read or watched a video on these new style of coolers. Based on that I ended up purchasing a Cabalas polar cap cooler (also made in the US). What I do not like when stored are the huge handles on the sides. What I do like when moving it around are the huge handles on the sides. It also has the rope handles as well.
Interesting is that they have a pressure relief valve that actually works and helps opening the lid.

Just one more option in the sea of these new coolers.

WhatTheZo

Somewhere (i cannot find it now) I read or watched a video on these new style of coolers. Based on that I ended up purchasing a Cabalas polar cap cooler (also made in the US). What I do not like when stored are the huge handles on the sides. What I do like when moving it around are the huge handles on the sides. It also has the rope handles as well.
Interesting is that they have a pressure relief valve that actually works and helps opening the lid.

Just one more option in the sea of these new coolers.
I second this. Both hate and love the moulded handles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A year has passed since this topic was alive. Any new contenders for a 50-75 QT setup? I've had my eye on the Igloo Mission or Leeward coolers (Leeward just looks like a beefed up Mission?).

What are your thoughts? I feel the Yeti stuff is just way too overpriced. Our "most extreme" trip would be four nights, so I don't see the benefit in a powered fridge.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd still recommend the Ozark Trails or any of the others from California Innovations. They recently purchased a factory in the Atlanta area; a friend of one of my colleagues runs the place and QC is excellent.

https://californiainnovations.com/ They get back to you pretty quickly if you ping them with questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier