Best balance of mileage and capability?

ol' scott

Adventurer
One thing often overlooked about Toyotas when talking about pricing is that pricing goes both ways. It may cost me $2,000 more to buy but I'll also be able to sell it for $2,000 more. Are you more likely to buy a 20 year old F-150 or a 20 year old Toyota? Why? Those same reasons are going to hold up 20 years from now too.

Kaisen

Explorer
One thing often overlooked about Toyotas when talking about pricing is that pricing goes both ways. It may cost me $2,000 more to buy but I'll also be able to sell it for $2,000 more. Are you more likely to buy a 20 year old F-150 or a 20 year old Toyota? Why? Those same reasons are going to hold up 20 years from now too.

There's a 1996 LX450 in the Land Cruiser section with your name on it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114926-time-to-sell

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

Not really economically true, depreciation falls from the purchase price as a %, some more than others certainly, but to say the same $2,000 is returned isn't really true, you may get back $800/1200/1500 of it back depending on the total amount depreciated. And, then again, you're betting that that model will remain in high demand and not be replaced by alternatives. Your location has a lot to do with resale value as well, you'll do better in an area where the imports are popular, but they aren't everywhere.

You also get to a point where your vehicle is worth more to you or costs more to replace than what you can get for it. My 99 F-150, slick as goose crap at 7x,xxx miles would cost me at least 14/15K to replace it, similar ones sell for 8,500/9,500, I was offered 10K two weeks ago and turned it down. You get stuck in the utility cost spread of your market. The marginal propensity of consumption as that additional unit or newer model is no longer worth to you the difference in price.

Then, 20, 25 years later the market changes, by that time you're considering a collector's vehicle or lower utility. A 65 Mustang in great shape sells for 5 times or more of it's original sale price, same with a 55 three window ford, that's a different market. Just about any vehicle from the 60s, 70s, or even 80s that was popular then, in good shape, will sell today for as much or more than its new price.

If you are say 30 and buy a new vehicle that is popular and keep it for 20, 30 or 40 years, you'll likely be making (saving) money....but that's not the American way...LOL :)

madmax718

Explorer
forgot the factor of inflation. Inflation makes the purchase price aboutt he same as selling price unless you happen to get some very rare model. then there is the cost of storage, maintainance, and possible damage/destruction of it.

ol' scott

Adventurer
All true perhaps. I just know that I've never had a problem selling a Toyota quickly and easily. With my car ADD I like to know that I can put 10-15k on a car and still make money when I sell it a year later. It's nice peace of mind.

And that add is ridiculous. That's not Toyota-Tax that's stupid tax.

Merkin

Thanks for the suggestions in re the nissan frontier- i am putting it in to serious consideration. How does it compare in terms of reliability and ruggedness to the tacoma?

I appreciate the full size suggestions as well, but a full size is larger than I am interested in.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Regarding those fuelly numbers for tacomas...

I am willing to bet anyone with the time to do that (post their mpgs) is also focused on getting the best mileage per tank, mpg, etc...and driving to hypermile or whatever you call it...
Just saying because I rarely see over 16-17 in my 4x4 double cab unless there is a strong tailwind...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

I don't seem to be on the list as I am a former Tacoma and former 3rd gen 4runner owner, and I think he will be disappointed with the MPG of a DC 1st gen Taco.

Don't take my word for it, though. Go over to the Taco and 4runner forums and you'll see that complaints about poor MPG and poor range are among the most common complaints on the boards.

Kaisen

Explorer
Come on guys, Merkin (the OP) has weighed in. He's already sure he'll get 2-3 mpg better than even the inflated fish-tale forum posters get with their Tacos, and he's obviously a Toyota-intender. So just let him buy his Tacoma and we'll all congratulate him and recommend what LED interior bulb mods, tactical flashlight (oops, torch) holders, and ExPo stickers would be best.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Why not search the Nissan threads and see what owners think there and look in the Toyota thread. IMO, Nissans are bullet proof. In my area Nissan holds their value very well. In the future you'll be buying used vehicles with cheaper dollars, not that I forgot inflation but didn't want to drill so deep for the point. Either are great, not sure the inventories and prices of after market mods for either which might be another consideration. Both probably have enough equipment available to do whatever you'd want to do. I also consider the dealerships, reputation and parts dept. Shop charges are probably pretty close between them.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 with V6 is as fuel efficient as the Tacoma with 4 cylinder, according to EPA.

The current crop of V6 powered full size 4x4 pickups get similar to slightly better mpg. The Dodge with 8 speed automatic is interesting, as is GM's new V6.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I had a bought small new '02 Taco prerunner(2wd), reg. cab. 2.7,auto.,stock size tires,3.90 axle,alum. shell. Drove it 157,000 mi. and at 55 mph never got over 22 MPG hiway. 18/19 was comon at 65MPH. I got 13 MPG towing a small loaded U-Haul trailer. It was stock, well cared for(syn. lub.), very reliable but never got good fuel economy. I can get 20 MPG in my bought used roomy '03 Tundra 4.7 4x4 limited 4.10 axle ,canopy. 17/18 at 65mph is more comon. 15 with a FWC shell at 60 MPH. Got 12 towing large overloaded U-haul trailer. Same route as towing with the Taco. The Taco struggled and the Tundra cruised. I wish I knew then, what I know now. The difference has been comfort, with a higher entry cost.

My 02 D&C 4x4 got no better than 19 stock and now 16.8 with lift etc. 13 or less towing. I am not easy on the gas pedal but gave seen the same numbers from other Tundra owners. I love my Taco, still glad I own it, just letting you know.

Ccceric

Just to be that young guy with a 12v CTD...

I've managed 26mpg hand calculated at the pump with my 96 reg cab 2500, 4x4, 5 speed, with a topper on. All stock [tires too, so my sensor's on] except for a 4" MBRP turbo back w/ muffler. I drive extremely conservatively, rarely ever get to hear my turbo whistle, and am always in the right lane. Haven't driven another full tank on the highway so can't comment on whether it was just luck. But I average 22mpg combined without much trouble. I'm headed on a 3500 mile road trip in a week so I'll report back from the pump...

But I'm certainly not saying its the right truck for the OP. The CC 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x that my father has probably is though. I get better mileage though...

I have the same truck but a 95 and have hand calculated 23.5. I have a little heavier foot than you describe. Usual for me is 20.5.
My father-in-law bought a brand-new 2010 CTD and told me it was getting 19 miles per gallon. I asked if it was had calculated he told me you know the gauge is accurate. I laughed, the next time I talked to him he hand calculated 14.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz