best AT tires for ride quality?

scandy

I'm looking for tires for my Delica, I've got cooper AT3's now, they're fine tires, handle really well on road, and have been awesome for most everything off road.
I think its a combination of switching to stiffer leafs/torsion bars to handle added weight, and the tires, but when it comes to washboard roads, or anything with repeated small bumps, even just rough gravel, the thing shakes like crazy. upgrading the shocks helped a bit.
I know I can and should air down. but theres a lot of times where i may only be doing 5 or 10 miles on dirt then back to road, where I wouldnt air down. I've read elsewhere that people say these tires make their ride harsh. especially when its someone with an older rig.

Any tires I should check out? I'm running a 235/85/16 now, want to stay close to that. and something for about 40/60, paved/offroad.
I have a set of snow tires, so snows not a concern.

jadmt

ignore button user
in the recent last couple of years I have had cooper at3, Toyo at2, Toyo R/T, BFG KO2 and several sets of Cooper ST Maxx's. (I am a tire whore) Of those my least favorites have been the AT3's. I really like the ST Maxx's. I do a lot of offroading, altho 60% offroad is a lot, not sure any tire would do well without airing down.

scandy

Sorry other way around. 60% Road. And of that 40% off-road probably 95% of it is dirt roads. I just do technically wheeling when I have to, it’s still an important factor though, cause when I am doing technical trails, I REALLY want it to perform.

scandy

What do you like about the ST maxx compared to the AT3 and others? How’s it do on road/highway?

I’m seriously considering the falken wildpeak too

jadmt

ignore button user
I put a lot of miles on at 75-80 mph. The st maxx is a more aggressive tire off road but just as smooth and quiet at 80 mph on road. This in a 285/75-17 e rated tire vs the c rated 275/70-17 at3 so that in itself is impressive. This is on 4 door wranglers. The st maxx also wear extremely well. I live in Montana so lots of winter driving.

rickc

Adventurer
I like my Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme tires; surprisingly quiet on the highway given the tread and footprint and (so far) great on forest service roads.

LKLK

I had duratracs. They are a decent tire, but they get really noisy when they get near their wear line.

naks

I've just put a set of Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT on my Defender, much less noisier than the BFG AT KO and good handling.

Also 1/2 the price of a set of new BFGs, so very happy with them

lugueto

Adventurer
I can also recommend the Toyo Open Country ATIIs

Very quiet on the highway, excellent on dirt roads. Load Range C's are comfortable for city driving as well.

Tried them out on heavy mud this weekend and they exceeded my expectacions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles