Best Android Overlanding software?

On dial up so not watching that, but not the part I was talking about. Was talking more about the navigation which evldave had said
Given visibility was maybe 100 yards, Map and compass would have taken me significantly longer and would have put me in probably more than one dangerous situation
But yea all kinds of gadgets out there now even have gps for the dogs. I just think it's funny how few people these days will travel without a gps even on pavement let alone off. It's a dieing skill.
Actually, they have gadgets that would make that easier, and less dangerous ;)

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Oh my god your adventure might take a few seconds longer because you cant be directed by some gadget. Dont get me wong I think it's a great tool but honestly op asked for a cheap way to be able to nav without having to spend alot of money and in a year and a half and 27 replies not one person suggested a map and compass. Oh and I cant do calc even with a calculator but I can get anywhere I want with a map and compass. As for your visabilty being a hundred yards big fricking wah I used to hunt hounds at night all the time so visability was far less and far more dangerous and a gadget wasn't going to make it any less so. Just seems to me far to many people rely far to heavily on navigational software to get out instead of first learning how to read a map and compass. It's cheap and reliable.

Cheapest map w/any decent information would be a delorme (retail $20), unless you wanted to go with a USGS quad (free download), although that would be a pain unless you stuck around the same area all the time. Plus download and print times, plus a compass (cheap is $10, decent $50, top-of-the-line Brunton surveying compass around $250 or so? It's been awhile since I used a good surveying compass so I have no idea how much they cost nowadays).

So a map and compass are cheaper how?

For the price of a decent compass, you can get high-end mapping software for your phone. Of course, you need to have power for it, and there's always the possibility it will break/get wet/etc. Of course, there's also a possibility your compass will break and your maps will get wet :)

Did I mention my particular hike was on lava flows and using a compass for accurate navigation was impossible? Glad I had a GPS because I would have been lost using a regular magnetic compass :)

I respect those that chose to navigate using a map & compass, more power to you. Having spent time doing geology surveying in Montana + my SAR work, I could easily navigate most places using M&C. That said, I'll gladly use a GPS when it's available :) And I've ultimately chosen Backcountry Navigator on my phone as my app of choice.

Like I said I believe a gps is a great tool have never owned one yet. I use usgs maps there cheap but I have noticed that they are getting smaller though (dont cover as much area as they once did). As for a compass I have only ever bought cheap compasses and never broke one. I guess what I was just trying to say is that no one seems to use a map and compass anymore. Op was saying he was running a certain area and was looking for a cheap way to navigate and no one thought m&c for that trip it's all about apps and gadgets. As for lava never been so yea sure, but twice I have got into areas that my compass was wrong wound up going in circles and in same spot a couple times it's like what the heck both times I used my sese of direction and the stars. But for me anyway I have been in the woods many times without the compass (forgot in truck or whatever) so I am comfortable navigating by the seat of my pants. Never been lost but have been turned around a time or 2:088:
Cheapest map w/any decent information would be a delorme (retail $20), unless you wanted to go with a USGS quad (free download), although that would be a pain unless you stuck around the same area all the time. Plus download and print times, plus a compass (cheap is $10, decent $50, top-of-the-line Brunton surveying compass around $250 or so? It's been awhile since I used a good surveying compass so I have no idea how much they cost nowadays).

So a map and compass are cheaper how?

For the price of a decent compass, you can get high-end mapping software for your phone. Of course, you need to have power for it, and there's always the possibility it will break/get wet/etc. Of course, there's also a possibility your compass will break and your maps will get wet :)

Did I mention my particular hike was on lava flows and using a compass for accurate navigation was impossible? Glad I had a GPS because I would have been lost using a regular magnetic compass :)

I respect those that chose to navigate using a map & compass, more power to you. Having spent time doing geology surveying in Montana + my SAR work, I could easily navigate most places using M&C. That said, I'll gladly use a GPS when it's available :) And I've ultimately chosen Backcountry Navigator on my phone as my app of choice.

To get back on topic... I'm looking to use my Droid X as a GPS against offline maps and tracks, and have been reading up on BCN Pro. Lots of praise for it. Have also run across Everytrail Pro and ViewRanger as recommended apps.

Those of you who love BCN, have you compared it to Everytrail or ViewRanger? Trying to decide which to go with for using offline maps and track files.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
To get back on topic... I'm looking to use my Droid X as a GPS against offline maps and tracks, and have been reading up on BCN Pro. Lots of praise for it. Have also run across Everytrail Pro and ViewRanger as recommended apps.

Those of you who love BCN, have you compared it to Everytrail or ViewRanger? Trying to decide which to go with for using offline maps and track files.

For off road travel - and I mean cross country not off pavement BCN is awesome. For on road most forest roads are on google and can be made available offline. Between google navigation, google mytracks and BCN I am a very happy camper. After adding a custom map layer for caltopo BCN is amazing. caltopo is the map layer mappingsupport.com G4 maps uses. Its the latest and best USGS map layer.

gahi

Adventurer
After adding a custom map layer for caltopo BCN is amazing. caltopo is the map layer mappingsupport.com G4 maps uses. Its the latest and best USGS map layer.

how did you do this? Custom Map Source > New Map Source > ???????

Jay H

servicedriven.org
how did you do this? Custom Map Source > New Map Source > ???????

Yes then I entered in the url and other values. If you google it you may just find where my questions about this were answered on the critter mapping software bcn site.

I try to not hammer the server from caltopo so I try to download the areas I need and keep them saved. As opposed to using them online all the time. The maps were created for a California search and rescue team that is taking donations and the guy that hosts the maps is paying out of pocket.
caltopo.com

I have already asked the creator or Back country navigator and the creator of caltopo if using them together for personal use is acceptable. They said yes.

Cody1771

Explorer
I've tried them all i think, BCN is good but i much prefer Gaia maps, has anyone found a good android app that can combine GPX tracks quick and easy? right now im using Garmin Basecamp on my PC at home.

o00otii

Yes then I entered in the url and other values. If you google it you may just find where my questions about this were answered on the critter mapping software bcn site.

What URL did you use to do this? I have been trying to figure this out but cannot seem to. What do the other settings need to be?:confused:

Hoagie27

Jack of all Trades
Some great info in this thread. I was recently looking to expand into some different apps for my droid, other then Google Maps and the DeLorme EarthMate. Anyone else have any input on the "Overland Free" App?

I've tried them all i think, BCN is good but i much prefer Gaia maps, has anyone found a good android app that can combine GPX tracks quick and easy? right now im using Garmin Basecamp on my PC at home.

I have both gaia and bcn the ability to easily import gpx trails is the reason I use bcn more than gaia

ssssnake529

Explorer
Backcountry Navigator.

Downloadable maps, easy interface.

Works so well, I don't even bother with a dedicated GPS any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles