Best aggressive but not “all terrain” tires for my transit connect

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've had Cooper Discoverer M+S tires on my non-off-road vehicles for years. Aggressive enough to do OK on fire roads, dirt roads, etc. Also excellent in snow if you live in the snow belt.

There is a set on my wife's CR-V right now. I also had a set on an R-50 Pathfinder I owned for about a year in 2016 - 2017. Very good tires IMO and not terribly expensive (of course, car tires always seem like a bargain if you've ever had to buy TRUCK tires!)

EDIT: Here's a photo for reference. They actually work decent (not great) off road, I had a set on my 2007 4runner when I bought it and they worked fine for what I needed:

cooper-discovererMS_lg_super.jpg

Reactions: bjp

NorthwestDriver

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S or Yokohama Geolandar G015 should be a good fit for those needs.

Another vote for the Geolandar G015. I have a set on my LR3. Mileage is actually better than the EPA estimates for my vehicle—EPA is 17 highway, and I get 20 mpg. They are labeled an AT, but are relatively mild for an AT in terms of tread design and one of the lightest AT category tires. They are great in rain and are 3PMSF rated.

We do 90% highway travel and then short bursts of forest roads for camping. They are perfect for this use and there is very minimal road noise at 70mph. I also find that they don’t trap a lot of gravel in the tread, which I like because then I’m not ejecting rocks on the highway.

I’ve used them for more serious off roading (no rock crawling) in an ORV park and they did really well. I didn’t struggle with traction while wading, in muddy gravel, or climbing over moderate tree roots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles