Best aggressive but not “all terrain” tires for my transit connect

bvz

I’m not sure how to describe the type of tires I’m looking for.

I have a 2013 Ford transit connect, so we aren’t talking about a vehicle that can do any off road travel at all. 90% of its life will be on paved roads.

But for short stretches I do find myself on some poorly maintained dirt and gravel roads. Occasionally a little muddy.

What I’m looking for is something that is even less aggressive than an all terrain tire (limiting noise and maintaining fuel efficiency are important to me) but perhaps more capable than your run of the mill economy car tire.

Is there a classification for a tire like that? Or if not, are there any ratings or search terms I could use to even start looking for such a tire?

thanks in advance!

Grassland

Like a General Grabber APT? Or something resembling that?
You looking for puncture resistance/bruise resistance?

bvz

Like a General Grabber APT? Or something resembling that?
You looking for puncture resistance/bruise resistance?

yes, exactly. Puncture resistance. Thanks. I was having difficulty describing what I was looking for but that kind of nails it.

I will check out the General Grabber. Is that an AT tire? Like I said, since I mostly drive roads I am trying to minimize noise and mileage impacts...

Grassland

Since the connect comes with passenger car sized tires I'm not super familiar with what's available in those sizes.
The APT is an "all terrain" but anyone with a truck wouldn't call them that.
Otherwise I've found all non "AT" tires are pretty much all geared to 100% paved road.

Regcabguy suggested the Michelin LTX that's another good highway biased tire.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I just took off my KO2's and went with Nokian's, so far so good, I talk them here

Last edited:

bluejeep

just a guy
there's a new'ish' class of tire introduced in the past few years called HYBRID. More aggressive than AT but not an MT. Two examples are Kenda Kleever RT (they also make this in a 35 x 10.5 x 17 - tall skinny - which is interesting). Another is a new one by Cooper, the Rugged Trek - sorry I don't know much about that one. I've been running Cooper Discoverer MAXX for a few years and really like them. More aggressive than AT but less that MT.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Like Regcabguy said, I've had great experiences with Michelin tires. Had them on my 98 F150 and Excursion and my pops has them on his LC and moms Titan and they lasted for many many miles and all types of terrain. Enough tread to work well in snow, dirt, mud and road but had great road manners as well.

Just popped a set of the Michelin Defender LTX on the truck. LR-E due to the GVWR of the truck but very similar driving requirements as you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles