Best aftermarket EFI kit for Montero 2.6l?

hirothemontero

I recently purchased a stock 1988 SWB Montero with the 2.6l engine (auto transmission).

I'm looking to convert the carburetor with a new EFI kit and wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Not looking to pull parts from another Mitsubishi and would prefer installing a new EFI kit (will have it done professionally, not DIY).

I found this thread that mentions the Holley Sniper EFI but still not super clear to me how to make it a solid fit for my Montero.

Any other EFI kits out there I should be looking at that would be an ideal fit for my Gen 1 Montero 2.6l?

For context, I intend on using my Montero for some lightweight overlanding (e.g. weekend camping trips and hitting some trails; nothing too crazy) and don't want to run into issues at high altitude. I was initially looking at the Weber carb but thinking EFI is the way to go to avoid problems at higher altitudes.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

The biggest problem with the 2.6 as it is in the Montero, Starion and other cars is the intake manifold. The flow distribution sucks. To me it does not matter how you blend the fuel going in if each cylinder gets different amounts of it. When I had Dual Webers on my well prepped 2.6 in a track car it was faster than my Starion was. Once I changed the intake on the Starion it flew.
There is talk of a Holly injection that is an easy refit but do not expect miracles in power if it just bolts in place of the carb.

ChrisCosta416

Hi @hirothemontero

It bolts on via a custom adapter that you have to make I have photos and drawings I still need to upload. But the Mr Gasket plate I posted is also a good alternative to use.

The truck that has the Holley has been running great and has been getting around 20mpg in the city. Let me know what is not clear and I will try to do my best to explain it.

hirothemontero

@CharlieNorth — I'm thinking of getting new exhaust headers + exhaust system to help with the issues you called out and increase power, appreciate the advice!

@ChrisCosta416 — Nice and looking forward to it! I would actually prefer to just use the Mr Gasket plate (vs. making something custom) but just wasn't sure how solid of an option that was since you were pushing folks to the custom bracket option. But if you are saying the Mr Gasket adaptor is a solid option, I think I would just go with that rather than making my own custom bracket.

What do you guys think of the following upgrades to help increase power and perform better at higher altitudes?
  • New exhaust headers OR performance intake manifold (would it be worth it to also add cold air intake?)
  • New exhaust system
  • Holley Sniper EFI 2300

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
What do you guys think of the following upgrades to help increase power and perform better at higher altitudes?
  • New exhaust headers OR performance intake manifold (would it be worth it to also add cold air intake?)
  • New exhaust system
  • Holley Sniper EFI 2300

Turbo.

ChrisCosta416

Thanks @Toasty! Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm a newbie on this sort of stuff and learning along the way).

What you are recommending essentially is not going with new exhaust headers/manifold and doing a turbo instead?

So my upgrades would be as follows for a boost in power + better performance at higher altitudes:
  • Turbo (instead of new headers/manifold)
  • New exhaust system (so that air flows through better)
  • Holley Sniper EFI 2300 (to perform better at elevation)
You can use Starion parts to turbocharge your Sniper, I would recommend a Super Sniper if you do add a turbo for tunability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles