Best 4Runner Under 8K? late 90s, early 2000s?

I'm looking to do a long road trip out west (3 months or so). I want to be able to handle some off road situations, but nothing like a HUGE overland trip, I will spend time on highways as well. Have any advice on specific years or vehicles that I can pick up and be able to rely on to do this under 8k?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't know that there's a perfect year per say. All 4Runners are pretty well built and all will have a gotcha or whatever. My $0.02 would be to buy the newest and lowest mileage basic SR5 you can find for your budget. Personally I think the 4th gen (2003-2009) is going to be the best value right now since they seem less valuable to the aftermarket than older ones and easier to find family-owned ones that won't have been beat up or have 350,000 miles on them.

4runnerteq

Explorer
You should be able to find a pretty decent 4th gen for under $8k. We have a 3rd and 4th. 4th is the stock daily and the 3rd has 3" lift and 33s. I like the 3rd more, BUT, 4th is so much more comfortable to ride in. Its a limited with full time 4wd and the 4.7 V8. Personally, I had rather have it than the 4.0 V6. Both are great engines. Really no advantage of one over the other than I just prefer the 4.7. You do have timing belt maintenance on it though and not the 6. Also with the Limited you get the power seats and heated leather. Again, just my preference, but almost infinite adjustment and well, nice and warm. Check for rust on both. Frame rails and around the lower radiator supports. Get under it with a light and check, check,check. Check the rear brake backing plates on both for signs of gear oil. Axle seals leaking are pretty common. 4th gens are also prone to calipers seizing up. Make sure it rolls freely with the brake off. 4th gen, make sure the transfer case goes into 4wd and 4wlow and back out, especially going in and out of low on the full time 4wd version. 3rd gen 3.4 engine is great. Also has timing belt maintenance.The 4.0 V6 in the 4th occasionally has head gasket issues. None of these are things to be "scared" of, but just be aware of when shopping. Actually, it may possible to find a nice 4th gen for less money than an equally nice 3rd gen. Go figure. Cult following on the 3rd, maybe worse than that of a 1st gen.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Agree - something crazy is happening with 3rd generation and they are getting too pricey. I think the 4th generation is still flying under the radar right now.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Another vote for the 4th Gen purely from a monetary stand point. I much prefer the 3rd Gen myself (it appears as do most) but they are older, harder to find clean, less comfortable, and now usually cost more.

One example of a 4th Gen for under $8K.

Clean low mile 3rd Gen, double the money.

Stomper4x4

2nd gens and 4th gens are by far the best bang for the buck right now. 1st gens are hitting collector status, and the cool kids crowd has gotten the 3rd gen on their radar for some reason. All 4runners are good.

I think I'd go 4th gen for sure. It's very good, not over priced, and parts are still easy to come by. 1st and 2nd gens are getting harder to get parts for, and in a few years 3rd gens will be the same.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Buying an old Toyota from the northeast is just a silly idea.
Yup.

Flights are cheap now, I'd highly suggest fishing Craiglist and getting a one-way to Phoenix, Albuquerque, San Antonio or perhaps San Diego. Toyotas are common in the West and they'll be minimally rusted in those places. The only thing you have to watch is a fair number of trucks will be 2WD since they get no snow.

Reactions: bkg

tdferrero

Where are you located? There's a really clean and tastefully modded 3rd gen locally (South Carolina), and I don't think he "knows what he has" yet.

al_burpe

Observer
Not a 4runner but in your budget and should be able to your described trip.

nomad_games

I'm looking to do a long road trip out west (3 months or so). I want to be able to handle some off road situations, but nothing like a HUGE overland trip, I will spend time on highways as well. Have any advice on specific years or vehicles that I can pick up and be able to rely on to do this under 8k?

this has kind of been touched on but...for that budget you could get a really nice 3rd gen, or a good 4th gen. 3rd gens look way better, get better MPG, are way "cooler" imo, and due to being smaller and having a shorter turn radius and wheelbase, are better trail rigs. However, 3rd gens suck as highway vehicles or as daily drivers if you have a long commute. Plus, while the drivetrain and electronics, etc are reliable as a hammer, the steering and suspension gets really worn out and needs replacing. So you can find a ton of them with 275k or more all day that run perfect, but almost all of those need all of the steering and suspension parts replaced. I bought one with 175k on it for 4k, a year later it needed new everything.

a 4th gen will be WAY more comfortable, a much better commuter/highway vehicle, while still being plenty capable offroad. and since they aren't the cool ones, they go for cheaper for what you get. My buddy just bought a V8 model (oh yeah, you can get the V8 too, which doesn't exist in a 3rd gen unless swapped) with 60k miles for $10k.

I loved my 3rd gen to death. I had the SR5 5 spd with e-locker. but a couple of really long road trips in that truck made me hate driving for a while. I switched to a 5th and it's better in every way except MPG and that fun classic old car feel. I would still buy a 3rd if I were going to build a trail only rig. if i had it to do over, I would probably find a nice 4th instead of my 5th, just to save money. plus the 4th gens actually look pretty cool when lifted on big tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94