Best $200 (or less) Tool Kit for College Student?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
My rule of thumb:
Only give tools I know the recipient knows how to use safely.
Depending on my time and relationship, I will spend the time to quiz them and/or demonstrate its use.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, she knows how to install exhaust manifolds on her Montero (I took advantage of her long skinny arms and hands)
i-8d8k2Pd-X2.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Well, she knows how to install exhaust manifolds on her Montero (I took advantage of her long skinny arms and hands)
i-8d8k2Pd-X2.jpg

LOL. Skinny hands and dexterous fingers is probably one of the main reasons my kids work in cars too!

Getting assigned all the difficult work is probably one of the reasons they won’t want to continue when they leave my house.

DCH109

Adventurer
If you have not bought a kit yet, then I would suggest either Husky (Home Depot) or Kobalt / Craftsman (Lowes). Lifetime warranty on some tools (i.e. wrenches and sockets) and Lowes and HD are just about everywhere these days.
I had an old (like 30 year old) Craftsman 13" 1/2 inch socket that cracked and took it to Lowes and replaced it no questions.
Get their screw drivers, hammers etc (or go fancy and get a US made Estwing hammer).
As it is 4th of July soon they have some kits on sale now.

Oh and buy her safety glasses. She will thank you later.

Do not buy the Harbor Freight stuff, not worth it. When I was poorer I bought HF tools. I have either broken, bent or damaged most of them and replaced all of them. Aside from their floor jacks most of their hand tools are junk.

I bought a Husky set for a trip from Colorado to Virginia in a 1987 Land Cruiser I bought sight unseen. I used those tools so much that the black chrome on the sockets and wrenches has worn off I have yet to break one tool in that kit. While I have replaced all of those tool for my home shop, I still use them as they are now part of my travel kit.

WVI

Adventurer
I have what's left of some Beta tools when stationed in Italy.
I bought some Craftsman tools when I got back stateside, and used those for years.
I worked on project in Hawaii for 3 years, and bought a $79 box set of Crafstman while there.
Since then, that same basic boxed tool set, and a few special tools added since then lived in my trucks, and has done just about everything I've needed...They have resided is plastic quart size freezer bags, placed inside two ammo cans, for years now, and they are still about all i use..

I will add, I just bought a Harbor Freight swivel head ratchet to use while changing my valve cover gaskets, and that thing has now taken up residence with the others.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So, I ordered a tool roll the other day, just to see what I could legit fit in it. Its a bit bulky, and I'll probably stick with the two smaller BucketBoss tool wraps I've been using, but in the name of science, I had to test it out. Here is what I fit in the tool roll (also from Bucket Boss) - Impact shown for scale:
IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1226D.JPG

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I use 3 of the smaller bucket boss rolls in the back of the Jeep. None are “full” but they all fit together ether in the floor cubby and are small enough to slide through the space under the storage tray that I have. I think the best value from these rolls is rattle and clank reduction, as stuff seems to fall out. They would be better with a closing top for socket storage.

simple

Adventurer
Did you end up with tool rolls?

I liked your comment about just needing to change a battery or other small things. Cheap tools in the car and nicer ones for home.

I've had a similar one to this for over 10 years. Throw it in the car, boat wherever. Compact not expensive if stolen or lost. I've probably fixed more camping gear and misc stuff than vehicles with it. Sure they are crappy tools but they will do in a pinch. Cutters, test light, strippers...

I'm currently hunting around to see if there is anything better for an upgrade but so far, I'll probably get a second one.
This one at harbor freight so far looks like the next best option and they have a 20% off coupon this weekend.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Actually no. Instead of the tool roll, we went with a large mouth soft sided tool bag, and a bunch of zippered canvas tool pouches. Then I went to Harbor Freight and Home Depot and loaded up on various tools and stuff everything into the tool bag.

I love these cheap tool pouches

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Maybe this tool list could be helpful? (Kits no longer available) I designed, built and sold 1000's of these trail kits for years until covid killed the DeWalt supply chain. We found the combination of SAE/Metric and adjustable tools seemed to cover most roadside/driveway repairs/maintenance. (Throw in some torx for the newer trucks/jeeps/etc.....) I run one in every vehicle we have and seems to work for those common problems you run into.

BTW....Good job Dad!

The DeWALT tools:

34 Piece Socket Set:

3/8” Drive Quick Release Ratchet

3/8” Drive 3'' Extension

3/8” to 1/4” Drive Adaptor

3/8” Drive Drill Adaptor

(7) 1/4” Drive Standard SAE Sockets (5/32”, 3/16”, 7/32”, 1/4”, 9/32”, 5/16”, 3/8”)

(7) 1/4” Drive Standard Metric Sockets (5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11m)

(8) 3/8” Drive Standard SAE Sockets (7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4”, 13/16”, 7/8”)

(8) 3/8” Drive Standard Metric Sockets (12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm)

10 pc Metric Combo Wrench Set: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm

10 pc SAE Combo Wrench Set: 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4”, 13/16”, 7/8”, 15/16”

9" Longnose Locking Pliers

6” Longnose Pliers

6” Diagonal Wire Cutting Pliers

8" Flush Rivet Slip Joint Pliers

8" Pushlock Pliers

10” Adjustable Wrench

6-in-1 Screwdriver

16oz Ball Pein Hammer
(made by Stanley, a DeWALT subsidiary)

(2) 3/8” Drive Socket Rails

(2) 1/4” Drive Socket Rail

0F86BC1D-638B-4F81-8E48-4812E20C9FCD.png

Steadfast Rocky

One thing that we have learned the hard way is that good leather gloves that fit your hands well might be the greatest asset. 200 bucks is hard to build that price range with stuff that I would personally trust giving to someone to use.

I would:

Make sure she knows how to check fluids, read the gauges.

Change a battery, have a jump pack, or jumper cables. I worked on a college campus and watched a dozen jumps a week, especially during the cold season here (MT).

Tire change stuff that works. Have her test the OE stuff, if it sucks replace it. I wouldn't cheap out on that stuff, and tell her to smoke the rim if it gets her to a safe spot, being stopped on a freeway is dangerous AF (I bet I am preaching to the choir on this one).

I am really partial to a set of Knipex Pliers wrench's and a set of locking pliers, I happen to use Knipex now for those as well and a decent 10 in 1 or 12 in 1 screwdriver, and probably a claw hammer (a polarizing topic).

If she is more inclined get her more tools, I am hesitant to say go cheap on that stuff. Tools + capable people mean lots of great things can happen and it can be incredibly empowering. Good tools never loose their utility, carry great stories and I find a cared for better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles