Best 2-3 person road trip tent....

DesertSand05

Observer
Looking for tent suggestion for a summer road trip. I am replacing a 15 year old sierra designs meteor light tent. I need a two person tent; some days will be a one night deal, and other time we might be at the same spot for a week.

It's for car camping. Probably need something with a little more room than a typical 2 person tent to be comfortable, just looking something with decent features and quality so I doing have to worry about it. Packable size isn't a huge deal.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
WHat kind of budget are you looking at for your tent?

I have a 5 man turbotent that I found very comfortable for just myself. It should be more than good enough for 2 or 3 people. Easy to set up and roomy with plenty of ventilation options. For one or two nights, you can just set it up on the bare ground/grass, but any longer, and you'll want some sort of liner or tarp put down first. It does hold up well to wind and rain. Just make sure you stake it down good if you expect any wind where you're staying.

Setup and tear down only takes about 10 minutes either way, since everything basically just unfolds and then folds back up when you're done.

If you're not willing to spend a whole lot, do a google search for used turbotents and you might find a good deal on them.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Kelty Trail Ridge 3 or 4

Looking for tent suggestion for a summer road trip. I am replacing a 15 year old sierra designs meteor light tent. I need a two person tent; some days will be a one night deal, and other time we might be at the same spot for a week.

It's for car camping. Probably need something with a little more room than a typical 2 person tent to be comfortable, just looking something with decent features and quality so I doing have to worry about it. Packable size isn't a huTR4 1.jpgTR4 2.jpgge deal.

If you really want a 3P, the Kelty Trail Ridge is the best one I know. But for car camping I recommend that Trail Ridge 4. Although the TR3 is larger than most, the TR4 is on the small side, which makes it perfect for 2 people. A 4P is so much better for days when you're stuck inside the tent.

grogie

Like to Camp
I was also going to recommend a Turbo Tent. I bought their three man tent, which is actually perfect for two as it's got a lot of room inside. They really are fast to put up... like 10 minutes and they'll stand up easy without any guide lines. I love the tent, however I now have an on a trailer...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That category of tent is probably the single widest range of tents available :)

I personally am a big fan of the REI Base Camp range of tents. They have a 4 person size, which fits 3 in a pinch, and 6 person which fits 4 comfortably. I've had mine in snow, sleet, rain, hail and fierce winds (+80 mph). The big wind day bent a pole, but everything stayed upright and intact, and REI gives free poles.

The 4 person is easy to set up by one person, though the 6 person is best set up with 2 people. It can be done by one, but easier with 2.

Various photos:

4 person without the fly
Rubicon-2009-06-X3.jpg

6 person with fly
OvExpo-20090425-28-X3.jpg

ExPo_Bodie-2011-69.jpg

6 person interior shots
http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Family/Camping/i-wbPv7G7/0/X3/IMG_1262-X3.jpg[.img]
[img]http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Family/Travel/Mammoth-2014/i-2vsm8PC/0/2589x1726/Mammoth_2014-62-2589x1726.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior