Best 1st Gen Tundra's

t4rFL

Adventurer
From what I gathered the 2000-2004 are the most reliable, but have the 4-spd and less power VS the 05-06 but don't like the idea of a non serviceable transmission. Right now the truck will be used as a daily and for towing and some offroad, future i may use it fro traveling and camping out of. So 4x4 as with any truck for me is a must, so is the 4.7L V8. And due to the higher towing capacity of the Access Cab, then that is what I will be looking for.

Any input on the 00-04 vs 05-06?

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
Well, I put 254,000 in my 2002 and it was remarkably trouble trouble free. The 4 speed has a reputation for being weak, but mine never gave me any trouble. Other than the fuel economy and small rear seat, it was an awesome truck.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Drive Nacho Drive: A Journey from the American Dream to t...
by Brad Van Orden, Sheena Van Orden
From $15.95
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99

smokeysevin

Observer
I blew up my a340 (4 speed) but that was because I was jacking around with the line pressure. Entirely my fault. They have gotten really cheap to replace. I swapped my replacement a340 (2wd) for a 4wd trans for I think $300 shipped. I paid more than that for the replacement when I blew up the 2wd one.

Sean

Loubaru

Adventurer
The 5 speed is serviceable its just harder. The 05-06 also have more power/TQ. I bought one last year and only looked at 05-06s, mainly because of the 5spd.