Bent aluminum tent pole

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I had a problem with fiberglass tent poles for a tent that is no longer made. (Eureka Manan) Eureka did not have replacement poles, but recommended a custom fiberglass pole manufacturer. Not interested in that approach, I found some replacement poles for a different tent, same diameter but different length. A quick cut/sand in the shop and I fixed the pole myself. I found the replacement poles on Campmor. Maybe you can find a replacement there?

Alloy

How long a section are we talking about?

If the pole will fit in one of these and it's a relatively short section, this could be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This is best idea as long as it is a soft bend.

If it's a sharp bend most likely the aluminum has been taken past the yeild point and will break when bent back.

Don't used heat. It removes the temper so it will stay soft like butter.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

Don't used heat. It removes the temper so it will stay soft like butter.
Not if you keep it around 400 degrees.
Then again, depends on what grade of aluminum. I'm assuming it's not the NASA stuff...

I'll have a couple of metallurgists in here Monday. I'll try to remember to ask their advise.

Alloy

Not if you keep it around 400 degrees.
Then again, depends on what grade of aluminum. I'm assuming it's not the NASA stuff...

I'll have a couple of metallurgists in here Monday. I'll try to remember to ask their advise.

Tolerances on alum are all over the place. You can heat 2 places on the same pcs of aluminum to the same temp and the first place will bent and the 2nd won't.

jbaucom

What does the pole look like when in use - is the bend noticeable then? I ask because I have a 6 person dome tent with aluminum poles, and both poles have a section or two that are no longer straight, and have been that way for years. They're slightly curved now, but it's only noticeable when I take the tent down. When the tent is pitched, the poles are heavily arched and the bends aren't noticeable; they also don't seem to affect the strength of the poles in use. We've ridden out some strong storms with no hint of weakness in the poles due to the bends. These are fairly large diameter tent poles. At first it bothered me a little; now it doesn't.

Driftwood77

I had some alloy boat sprayhood poles given to me and I wanted to use them to make a cover for my boat.
I used a pipe bender to carefully straighten them out. Worked ok, just do very little at a time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles