BenchMark Dual Battery Tray... et al

TrailTrackers

Observer
Well, I finally decided to order a battery tray. Although I'm fairly certain that I could have fabricated my own, I just didn't feel like it in this case. I ordered the one from Benchmark and although it seems a bit pricey, it's an excellent build and very well thought out. I honestly just didn't feel like taking the time to duplicate this one.

Phase one of the install is complete. I must say that it was extremely straight forward as Benchmark supplied a comprehensive step-by-step instruction set. As a matter of fact, I have never seen installation instructions as well done as these. They provided pictures and absolutely nothing was forgotten. The project took only a couple of hours to complete and there really isn’t much else to say, because like I said above, the instructions were so complete; well done Benchmark.

In fairness to other potential buyers of this kit, I think there are a few things I should say. I don’t remember ever seeing it mentioned on their web site, nor do I remember the guy from Benchmark saying anything about this while I was talking to him on the phone. Installing this kit entails cutting the front end off the OEM battery tray, essentially rendering it useless and making this a “one-way” install; there is no reverting back to the OEM configuration without having to purchase a new battery tray. That being said, it would not have made a difference to me because I was intent on installing a second battery and the engine compartment is where I wanted it located.

Additionally, concerning the DieHard Platinum battery, the only way I could get it to fit in the outside location was to grind the end of the bolt holding the TIPM bracket to the tray. I also had to clearance one side of the battery to get it to squeeze past the J-bolt that holds down the top plate. This was easily done with a grinder.

The last thing I’ll mention is that you’ll need to fabricate some sort of shim if you intend to keep using the OEM battery. I installed a type 34 DieHard Platinum from Sears that is maintenance free, while the OEM battery has filler caps on the top of it. This made the supplied hold down clamp sit on an angle over the top of the batteries. For me, it was easy to make my own: I had a scrap piece of 2x4 and used my power planer to knock it down to the correct thickness. However, not everybody has a power planer at hand and may find it more difficult to create a shim. It would be a nice touch if Benchmark provided a low cost shim that people could purchase if they needed.

The gray wire that you see hanging out the passenger side of the hood is actually a length of 10-2 that I fed down through that big rubber grommet in the firewall. I’ll be installing a fuse panel (exact same kind that I installed in my trailer) up under the dash, next to the heater blower; the new panel will be fed by the second battery.

Those two yellow wires with the inline fuses run across the firewall and down into the cab of the Jeep through the firewall on the driver’s side. I’ll be pulling those back into the cab of the Jeep and then running them under the dash and over to the newly installed fuse box on the passenger side. I’ll also run a length of 10-2 from the fuse box to the rear of the Jeep down the passenger side that will feed the ARB Fridge.

In its new configuration, only the OEM accessories will be supplied from the OEM battery. All other accessories that I have installed, and that I will install from this point forward will be supplied from the second battery. However, I will maintain my current accessory relays that I have installed because there are certain things that I only want powered when the engine is running.

Report Images

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
What are you using to separate the batteries? Isolator? relay?
Generally it is good practice to install two new batteries if they are to be connected. The new one may only fully charge to the voltage that the old battery can handle, if that makes sense.

TrailTrackers

Observer
What are you using to separate the batteries? Isolator? relay?
Generally it is good practice to install two new batteries if they are to be connected. The new one may only fully charge to the voltage that the old battery can handle, if that makes sense.

I actually haven't ordered an isolator yet but I will in the next week. I've pretty much decided to go with the Power Gate by Perfect Switch. That's the reason why I'm not worried about this new battery not being the same as the OEM battery; they will never be hooked together unless there is an extreme emergency and I need to start the Jeep from the backup.

I also appreciate your concern. I've been reading all the threads concerning this subject and they have helped me in this decision. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated as the project progresses, and if anybody notices something that is just wrong to do I really will appreciate quick feedback.

TrailTrackers

Observer
Question

OK, I have a question that I'm sure somebody can answer and I'm hoping can also help me out. I have the fuse block pictured below that I am going to install and will be fed from the second battery. As stated previously, my goal is to keep the batteries completely isolated.

Does this mean that I should not connect the ground from the extra fuse block to the vehicle? And that I should also never use the vehicle as a ground for any accessories connected to the positive side of the new fuse block? I'm thinking the answer is to never do it. Am I right?

IMG_8943.jpg

Just to be sure I'm clear. I'm also pretty sure that if I "did not" connect the fuse block ground to the vehicle ground, but "did" connect an accessory to the vehicle as ground, the accessory wouldn't even work because there would be no closed circuit. So even to make it work I would have to connect the fuse block ground to vehicle ground if I wanted to be able to use the vehicle to ground any accessories fed from the fuse block. ie second battery.

What I'm wondering is if I do that, will that connect the two batteries together, if even only indirectly.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Ground them all the same. So long as the hot side of all the aux electronics and battery to do not cross with any on the main battery setup, they will remain isolated.

TrailTrackers

Observer
Thank you!!

I've been waiting to finish up the project based on this question. Now I can get it finished.

The main reason I was waiting is because of my trailer wiring. I have a 7-pin connector, and I want to leave everything except the aux. (yellow) wire connected to the OEM battery so that it works as it should. But I'll be connecting the aux. wire to the 2nd battery. I just didn't want to go through the hastle of running another ground wire all the way up to the aux. fuse panel (that would have been a huge PITA).

I figure by doing it this way, down the road I can maybe make an adapter with a 12V light source that I can plug in to the trailer connector when I don't have the trailer connected. I figure this would be cool and may come in handy some time.

Last edited:

TrailTrackers

Observer
Another phase in the record books.

Another phase is in the books. Today I finished all the wiring for the accessories to include the PIAA lights, Lind adapter (for laptop), yellow accessory wire to the trailer, 12V accessory plug to the rear, and I even moved the CB onto the new fuse panel. After that I went ahead and connected the 2nd battery to fire up the fuse panel. I was happy to see that each accessory functioned normally in the new configuration. I also used the voltmeter on the trailer connector to make sure the center lug was hot – it was indeed. Then the moment of truth… I turned the key and low and behold, the Jeep fired right up; that’s always a good sign.

Another piece of good news is that the CB operates way better now than before. Until now I had the CB hot spliced off of the heater blower. Every time I fired up the Jeep the CB would light up momentarily, even when off. And I felt like it never did have much range or clarity. Well, with it on its own circuit, it now has perfect clarity and a lot more range. I called out a radio check from home and some guy 2 ½ miles away checked back; I was amazed. Additionally, now when I start the Jeep the CB doesn’t wink at me.

I fired off an email to Power Gate so I hope they respond Monday morning. One of their units should just about finish up this project. If I end up going anywhere before getting the isolator, the DieHard should be fine and I’ll just charge it up after each trip. The next long trip is at the end of April anyway so I’m not too worried; if I order the Power Gate Monday morning then I should easily receive it and get it installed before that.

I also uploaded 21 more pictures to the web album for reference.

Images

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Good Job, glad you got it all wired.

I noticed when I hardwired my stereo to my Auxillery batteries, not only did it not turn on and off if I wanted to start the engine or raise the windows, as expected, but that it got better FM and AM reception.

Good tight clean grounds are good for reducing electrical Noise issues, as well as twisting the + and - wires together. Especially on devices that produce noise, like solar charge controllers, and some voltage regulated LED lights.

TrailTrackers

Observer
Project is complete!

I’m happy to report that I was able to find the time to finish this project yesterday (Sat.). I ordered and received the 200A Power Gate from Perfect Switch. I’ll also mention that I got superb service from Scott on the phone, and after placing the order I had the switch 2 days later (ordered it Monday afternoon; received it Wednesday afternoon).

I have also been impressed with the information that comes with the Power Gate, which can also be found on their website. Included in the instruction set was a chart showing an expected voltage drop for various sized wire/cable. I’ll also mention that the instruction set was complete and did not leave me guessing about what to do at any time during the installation process.

After reviewing the aforementioned chart, I chose to use 2-Gauge wire for my installation. I purchased a 2ft. length of 2-Gauge and 4 connectors at State Trailer Supply out of Ogden, UT. I would think that any major trailer supply store would sell wire/cable by the foot. I was able to find the right sized heat shrink tubing at Napa Auto; they also sell it by the piece so you don’t have to purchase a whole roll just to get what you need.

The instruction set also includes a method for soldering these big connectors onto the cable ends, and it just so happens that I’ve been through this process before and was already familiar with the proper method. In case this is your first attempt, I’ll recommend that you either purchase or borrow some map gas and some 1/8” solder (Home Depot and Lowe’s have it). The tiny gauge solder that you would use with your soldering iron isn’t even going to come close to getting this job done.

After getting the connectors soldered onto the ends of the cable, I like to use my cut-off tool (air grinder with 3” wheel) to smooth the plastic insulation where the heat damaged it a bit. This will allow the heat shrink tubing to shrink smoothly around the cable and connector. I also like to start by cutting a shorter piece of tubing that will cover the exposed wire between the connector and the insulation, while overlapping maybe 1/8”. Then I slip on the longer piece (mine were 2½” in length) of tubing and shrink that over the first. I also don’t really like to use a lighter or match. For the shrinking process, I use my plastic welder that I got a while back from Harbor Freight.

After the cables were built, it was a simple matter of following the instructions and connecting each wire/cable in the specific order outlined. When everything was connected, I fired up the Jeep and completed each check with my multi-meter as outlined. All voltage measurements were well within the guidelines provided. Specifically, when I tested across the anode to the cathodes, they each measured 0.01.

I’ll mention a few notes that are specific to my ’08 JK Unlimited:

1. The instructions recommend that you disconnect the alternator wire that feeds the battery and insulate it. Then use a new wire that runs straight to the Power Gate. I had a hunch, so I actually took the time to completely remove this wire from the harness and found that nothing else was connected to it. This allowed me to use the OEM wire.
2. When connecting the purple wire to ignition hot, the best place I’ve found is the driver’s side 12V connector on the dash (cigarette lighter).

Scott also suggested that I test the system by connecting something to the auxiliary battery and letting it run down a bit. Then I could test the voltage on each battery to make certain that the main is still at full. Doing this would be a first hand confirmation that I do indeed have two completely isolated batteries. I plan to do this next week some time.

More photos have been added here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94