Belly dragging no more - 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Quadrasteer

Devin W

Observer
RRRRRR - now I really want to buy the Cognito UCA leveling kit with Bilstein 5100's all around.

I hear that, John. There's always something, right?

Hey Devin - can you tell me who makes that roof rack? Nice truck btw!

shellb - thanks. Check this link for Defender Racks: http://www.defenderracks.com/default.asp

If I read correctly, you are considering an 05-up electric fan conversion? My 2006 has the factory dual fans and it's a great setup so far @55k miles. The setup can be duplicated with factory parts and a harness, although BB will need to retune for the fan parameters. The conversion consists of the 34" radiator and fan/shroud assembly and wiring harness/relay.

4BT - Yeah looking at doing the conversion with factory parts. I already confirmed that the PCM comes ready to plug electric fans in when I'm ready to do the swap so that's good to go. John listed some part numbers for me earlier in the thread so I don't even have to do much homework on this one. How lucky is that?!?

laker

Devin, love the looks of the stance with that tire and wheel combo, very sano!. I just scooped up an 07 duramax and am going to lift it, and would like to put on the same tires for sure. But am thinking of a lower offset wheel. just to give it a little wider stance. Did you consider that? But am having difficulty finding a wheel that has the looks I want. Your wheels looks very good though, do you know if they come in a lower offset?

Devin W

Observer
Devin, love the looks of the stance with that tire and wheel combo, very sano!. I just scooped up an 07 duramax and am going to lift it, and would like to put on the same tires for sure. But am thinking of a lower offset wheel. just to give it a little wider stance. Did you consider that? But am having difficulty finding a wheel that has the looks I want. Your wheels looks very good though, do you know if they come in a lower offset?

Laker - the wheel offset is determined somewhat by the type and brand of lift. Different companies have different profiles on the knuckles. I think there are kits that also drop all of the suspension down instead of using taller knuckles. If I remember right, I think the Pro-Comp kit could maintain the factory wheel offset (or maybe RCD). I used the deepest backspacing I could with this kit which was 4.5" (I think the factory wheel is 5.5"). I was OK with the wider stance because I like that and knew that I'd be going with different fenders in the near future. There were some other reasons I chose it too, the main being that I didn't need different driveshafts and also didn't have to modify the exhaust. I spent too many years going to baja for the 250, 500, and 1000 and now it just seems like that's what a truck is supposed to look like!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I believe that the CST kit is one of the few that doesn't increase the track width on lifted Chevys. Devin your truck looks sick and will be downright awesome with glass fenders on it.

Devin W

Observer
I believe that the CST kit is one of the few that doesn't increase the track width on lifted Chevys. Devin your truck looks sick and will be downright awesome with glass fenders on it.

Thanks Saiyan, I'm looking forward to making that happen! Also, I think you're right about the CST. There really are a ton of kits out there and each one is just a little unique.

My Fabtek spindles widened the front track by 1.5" per side.

Hey, Mark - I was looking at your trailer build thread a little yesterday. There's a guy selling some M105A2's dirt cheap here, pretty complete and in good condition (at least according to the ad). They seem pretty huge on one hand, but on the other the canopy would actually fit motorcycles underneath it while being able to put the tent on top of it. The wheel/tire combo doesn't exactly seem ideal either. I think it's just the price that makes it tempting although, it's the type of trailer that you could put a big slide in camper on, too...I might check 'em out and just get a feel for them. They could be cheap because they're so big nobody can use them.

Devin W

Observer
When you are ready to upgrade the steering, might I suggest the D-max Store's Kryptonite steering system?

That is what I did and in the pictures, you can see the difference in size. Not cheap, but extremely well built. Plus the TRE's are common Ford parts that are easy to find most anywhere.

I did use the Cognito idler/pitman arm support kit as well.

Jack

Jack - those things look great. I've been looking at a few different set-ups. There is a kit by Exaxt(?) that looks great, too. It seems like all the good stuff is going to set me back between $600-$1000 by the time I'm done, but I'd rather do it once. Thanks for the pics and link.

Absolutely beautiful truck. :drool:

I'm very glad to see you got rid of the chrome.

Thanks 14!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack - those things look great. I've been looking at a few different set-ups. There is a kit by Exaxt(?) that looks great, too. It seems like all the good stuff is going to set me back between $600-$1000 by the time I'm done, but I'd rather do it once. Thanks for the pics and link.

Yeah, the Exxact and D-max are essentially the same (Exxact originated it), but Exxact was having issues and I'm not sure if he is still making/can be reached.

Doing it once was my thought as well, cry now or cry later.

Jack

John G

Devin,

Been awhile but did you ever get a new bumper or figure out what to do with your spare? Also, was looking at mounting 4 Hella 4000's up front sometime soon - any issues with powering up your three - just wondering if I will need to include a larger alternator or spring for some HID's instead.

John G

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Cool truck, one of my buddies picked up a very similar truck a few weeks back and absolutely loves it. He raves about the rear steering abilities and parking lots every time I see him.

-Alex

Devin W

Observer
Devin,

Been awhile but did you ever get a new bumper or figure out what to do with your spare? Also, was looking at mounting 4 Hella 4000's up front sometime soon - any issues with powering up your three - just wondering if I will need to include a larger alternator or spring for some HID's instead.

John G

Hey John - Haven't done anything recently. Picked up a trailer that I'm doing a few things to for camping so I'll have to wait for the budget to come back on line, but still plan to gradually keep making the changes. No issues with running the 3 Hella's and I've run 6 like that before on another vehicle with stock alternator without any issue. Of course, HID's are always an awesome way to go, though!

Cool truck, one of my buddies picked up a very similar truck a few weeks back and absolutely loves it. He raves about the rear steering abilities and parking lots every time I see him.

-Alex

Thanks Alex. It really is great. It boggles people's minds when I swing a u-turn on my residential street without it turning into a 3-pointer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles