Bellingham, WA mechanic needed

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
My truck is in need of some repairs and I need a really good Toyota mechanic here in Bellingham. I need some engine issues diagnosed (rough idle, rich air/fuel mix...), brakes need to be done, u-joints on the drive line need replacing, and at some point I'll need someone to re-gear the axles for me.

Does anyone have personal recommendation? I'm not interested in the my-friend-went-to-this-one-guy-and-had-good-luck type of recommendations, just those from real life personal experience please.

I posted in the regional forum, but I'm hoping for some more recommendations so posting here too.

Thanks in advance!!

Arktikos

Explorer
No answers for you, but a couple questions. Do you have a link to your truck build? Did you use NWOR stock replacement springs or some lift springs?

Actually, I do have an idea. What's the need for a Toyota specific repair shop? Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to do the repairs you've mentioned. Brakes are brakes, u joints are u joints, and diagnostics are diagnostics. A Toyota guy might be able to figure out your engine issues faster based on experience, but anyone should be able to get there eventually. So, I'd just look for a well recommended Bellingham shop in general. You might want to take the truck to a more specialized place for the axle re gearing though. That won't be cheap.:Wow1:

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
No answers for you, but a couple questions. Do you have a link to your truck build? Did you use NWOR stock replacement springs or some lift springs?

Actually, I do have an idea. What's the need for a Toyota specific repair shop? Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to do the repairs you've mentioned. Brakes are brakes, u joints are u joints, and diagnostics are diagnostics. A Toyota guy might be able to figure out your engine issues faster based on experience, but anyone should be able to get there eventually. So, I'd just look for a well recommended Bellingham shop in general. You might want to take the truck to a more specialized place for the axle re gearing though. That won't be cheap.:Wow1:

I wasn't necessarily looking for a Toyota specific mechanic, just someone with experience working on them. Most of my repairs are pretty general, but for the engine issue I would like to go to someone who has a lot of experience with the 22R/RE motor. I have the gears already, just need someone to swap the third members so cost shouldn't be too bad.

As for my truck, I don't have a build on here for it. The NWOR springs are stock replacement, but they claim to be rated at +700lbs over stock. I can't recommend them to be honest. They gave me good clearance and allowed me to use OME shocks, but they have squeaked since day practically and they're more expensive than OME springs. I would opt for the OME springs personally. Happy to answer any other questions you have about my truck.

Loubaru

Adventurer
I would recommend Rising Sun on Pacific street. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and send a lot of friends/family to them.

Orndorff_24

When I bought my 87 runner I had the Panacerea (sp?) check it out before I flew up and drove it home. Knew his way around the 22re and everything the uncovered was spot on.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I would recommend Rising Sun on Pacific street. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and send a lot of friends/family to them.

When I bought my 87 runner I had the Panacerea (sp?) check it out before I flew up and drove it home. Knew his way around the 22re and everything the uncovered was spot on.

Thanks Loubaru and Orndorff_24!! I'm going to look into both of your recommendations and it looks like both are close to where I work so logistics shouldn't be too bad.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I've only been to Panacea twice and they already call me by my first name. They came highly recommended and didn't disappoint. They're expanding, so must be a good sign.

I'm retired, so to speak. If you get caught in a pinch, I might be able to shuttle you. I'm not too far from them.

JKFox88

I've been with panacea since they opened and my parents too. They know us very well. I don't go there any longer sue to having flown the nest. But will always recommend them!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
When I asked panacea about heing me with a project, the mechanic had no issues in telling me he'd never done it before. I'm sure they'd have no problem laying the cards on the table for you in regard to Toyota expertise. They seem to be ad busy as can be, are not starved for work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz