Being a parent has changed my thinking. How about you?

I keep going around and around on selling the bike.

I'm serious jonesing for a bigger adventure bike. I would like to be able to do some more exploring using a fraction of the fuel of the truck. But then those would be solo trips and... I dunno.

Me too.
I would like to get a couple different bikes... I'd like to get the KTM 640 ADV as an all around adventure bike.
Then, I'd like to get a smaller 2 stroke trail bike. I was REALLY getting better on the trail and out riding my XR400. Its a great bike and even replaced my XR650L as an Adventure bike.

I dont think I could live sanely, without a motorbike, and have a quarter-life crisis.

davidv

Observer
I've spent the winter recovering from an ACL reconstruction surgery from an injury sustained trail riding. With a 4 and 2 year old it has spelled the end for my trail riding days. The bike already sold quickly on craigslist.

I have a pop-up truck camper that gets me and the family out into the woods and we have a blast. But with the knee coming back so is the need for speed.

I've been eyeing the Polaris RZR side by side. It will get me most places the bike did but with a roll cage and a 5 point so the safety factor is much higher.

We explored the moon with a pop-up camper and a side by side so it should be good enough to explore the Sierra's.

Has anybody made the switch to the side by side?

cnskate

Adventurer
After 20 years of riding I recently fractured a bone in my foot in a simple dual sport accident. Almost four mounths on crutches and 9 months later and I still have a limp. The bike wasn't even as much fun as I remembered it being when I was younger. Screw the bike:coffeedrink: well, maybe a street bike again when the kid goes to college.

The cool thing about expo/overlanding travel is you can have some adventure and still take the whole family with you. Really quality family time actually, without the normal distractions. Plenty of time for manly monkeyshines later.

etbadger

Adventurer
Some of my favorite memories from being young (5-10) were riding on the back of my dad's motorcycle as we explored the forest-service roads around where we lived, and going camping.

I'm hoping to do something similar when our girls get a bit bigger, and the eldest already is obsessed with motorcycles. At 14 mo she was already making "vroom" noises when pushed on her bike and announcing that it was now a motorcycle.

WiVi%20Bikes%20007.jpg

-e

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've spent the winter recovering from an ACL reconstruction surgery from an injury sustained trail riding. With a 4 and 2 year old it has spelled the end for my trail riding days. The bike already sold quickly on craigslist.

I have a pop-up truck camper that gets me and the family out into the woods and we have a blast. But with the knee coming back so is the need for speed.

I've been eyeing the Polaris RZR side by side. It will get me most places the bike did but with a roll cage and a 5 point so the safety factor is much higher.

We explored the moon with a pop-up camper and a side by side so it should be good enough to explore the Sierra's.

Yeah... and that's the type of thing that still makes me want to hang up the helmet. I hit a tree and crushed my foot against the case a couple years ago. That took about a year to heal. I thought it never would, but finally the pain stopped. And then last November, I had a simple dump in the dirt, and twisted my thumb back, and I'm not sure what's wrong in there. Still hurts. But damn it's still fun. :(

If I sold the bike, I'd probably have to get back into trackdays with my car. I need some speed.

Actually, I did before I bought my truck. Our biggest car back then was a Focus wagon. We used it for our trips, towing a Seadoo, etc. But I wanted to get out with the family on trails. Thought about a SxS, but there are disadvantages:

First, SxS's are big, and actually aren't allowed on many ATV trail system. They also aren't technically allowed on the shoulder of roads like ATV's are in many rural areas here.

Second, I'd need a Rhino, and I'd need to convert it to a 4 seater. Then how do I move it? I'd need a bigger trailer, too much for our little wagon. All of a sudden I need a truck.

They're also expensive. $19,000 new. I figured... For $19k I can get a used Land Rover, and kill 2 birds with 1 stone, which is what I did!

The problem with selling the bike is also... I dunno. There aren't THAT many places you can go in the truck for a weekend. There are only so many trails. And half of them really aren't doable in a street legal truck. With a bike, you can go anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles