Being a parent has changed my thinking. How about you?

I have been a very enthusiastic motorcycle enthusiast. In 3 years I've put close to 50,000 miles on 3 different bikes. I've bought all the gear. I buy new gear. Better gear. Tires. Take off on trips and dont call home for a few days.
Even after I got married and wehad our daughter, I continued. Until about 6 months ago... Really since my daughter started walking around and being able to really play outside... and enjoy the outdoors (and especially animals) as well.

So, I have really changed my thinking about trips. Instead of being alone, or with a couple of my motorbike buddys, for a week long trip... I enjoy taking day trips and weekend outtings with my family.

For the last 6 months or so I have been really ignoring my motorcycle. A few reasons:
A) Losing interest
B) Motorcycles are inherently dangersous (especially the way i ride :eek:) and
C) I can't take my wife or daughter with me on my motorcycle.

Now, I have been making my vehicle more dependable, able to carry more gear, more comfortable, etc. I am looking forward to being able to spend more time with my family on the road and seeing new places. I've even been working on being able to carry the gear and take my dog places too.

Any of you guys experienced such changes?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Hmm...this is how I did it...

1. Go to Mexico....
2. Big Life Insurance Policy...
3. Sidecar baby!!! (Currently in the market for one to put on the R60....)

I really enjoy being alone on the bike, and doing solo, or small trips with close friends. I've always needed a bit of decompression time; finding it even more so now that I'm 10 years into a "career."

The hard part is being away from my girls...but, future plans include a new expedition build up for travelling with 3, and holiday season 2008 in Baja!;

Many folks go through the no riding stage because of family. It's a personal decision only you can make. For me, I'm much more likely to buy the farm in a helicopter SAR accident than on the bike, so I guess I don't find riding that much more risky than other things I do, so I'll keep riding on a daily basis....

Who knows, I might change my ways in a few years?

-H-

Hltoppr said:
Hmm...this is how I did it...

1. Go to Mexico....
2. Big Life Insurance Policy...
3. Sidecar baby!!! (Currently in the market for one to put on the R60....)

I really enjoy being alone on the bike, and doing solo, or small trips with close friends. I've always needed a bit of decompression time; finding it even more so now that I'm 10 years into a "career."

The hard part is being away from my girls...but, future plans include a new expedition build up for travelling with 3, and holiday season 2008 in Baja!;

Many folks go through the no riding stage because of family. It's a personal decision only you can make. For me, I'm much more likely to buy the farm in a helicopter SAR accident than on the bike, so I guess I don't find riding that much more risky than other things I do, so I'll keep riding on a daily basis....

Who knows, I might change my ways in a few years?

-H-

Maybe my ideas would be different if i had a GS, aye?:shakin: I went from a KLR to a Strom, now im on a $500 '97 Xr650L.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I'm going through a similar experience. My job allows me 20+ days off each month so for the past few years I've been doing a lot of exploring on the bike. Last March I got married. My wife loves to camp but I won't put her on the back of the bike. I've noticed I'm spending a lot less time camping on the motorcycle and a lot more time (and $$$) building up the Tacoma to be comfortable for the both of us. I've recently decided to sell one of the BMW's and use the proceeds for truck mods.

I've been riding since I was 8 so I don't think I'll ever give it up but my priorities are definately changing to maximize my time with my better half.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I rode motocross bikes until 23, then dual sport until 25, then a crusier for a year, now nothing. My daughter was born when I was 23, so I gradually drifted away from bikes. I don't miss them until I see a pickup loaded with dirt bikes heading out. I'd give my left arm to get her interested in motorsports but she's a girlie girl, so we do dance recitals now:)

Just don't buy a minivan:)

bovw

Explorer
I finally got rid of my bike a few years ago for the same reasons, plus other drivers scaring me to death. The last 2 years I had it, rode 3 times for a total of about 10 miles. I see where you're coming from, plus I can get everyone into the Disco.

bovw said:
I finally got rid of my bike a few years ago for the same reasons, plus other drivers scaring me to death. The last 2 years I had it, rode 3 times for a total of about 10 miles. I see where you're coming from, plus I can get everyone into the Disco.

I've got absolutely no intention on selling the bike. Its paid for, and I wont be able to find another deal as good as it was.... $500 for a 97 that didnt run, with only 1700 miles on it. Now its got a few more than that

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Being the parent of a "Teenager" I question my sanity rather than my thinking!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
Being the parent of a "Teenager" I question my sanity rather than my thinking!

I'm with you Martyn! :) I definitely changed my life a lot when my kids were young. Now I have one out in college and one still home in High school.

My focus is slowing shifting from insanity back to my life. :wings:

No regrets though. I wouldn't change a thing. The life experiences, both good and bad are what made my life whole for me.

Mt Whitney 2004
MtWhitney074.jpg

For those that are shifting to share more kid time, my hat's off to you. It will be well worth the investment.:victory:

Last edited:

durango_60

Explorer
I've never had a bike but recently I begun aggresively lobbying the wife for a dual sport.

Tuesday I had a meeting(I'm a Financial Advisor) with a 29 year old mother of two who just lost her husband to a bike wreck.

Needless to say I'm not lobbying for a bike again for at least 19 years...

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
There ya go. :wings:

One tip.....................

Be careful.................

If you keep feeding them....................

They get bigger!:shakin:

DSC02915.jpg

VentanaCanyon023.jpg

VentanaCanyon003.jpg

Last edited:
Tucson T4R said:
There ya go. :wings:
One tip.....................

Be careful.................

If you keep feeding them....................
They get bigger!:shakin:

All in good time.... But, my lil biggin has been big from birth and gets bigger everyday! But I love her anyways.:)

Cant wait till one of these days....--->:1888fbbd:

BPMOU

Observer
This is a great thread! As of today at 11:01am I will have been a father for exactly 9 days. Up until my daughter was born I had been an avid hunter here in CO and the surronding states. Over the summer I really had to think about the amount of time that I spend away from home pursuiting my hobbies, and if that time would be better spent with my family. I made the decision that everyday that I miss being with them cannot be made up and should be enjoyed to the fullest. I would have never believed how much fun it is to just sit with your newborn and see all of the interesting things that they do through out the day. I think that marriage and children mature a person. I have always acted older then I am, but now my world seems diffrent. It's not about me, it's about my wife and my daughter having the things (me being around to spend time with) that they need and want to be happy as a family. I come from a family where my dad and grand dad were hard workers and putting food on the table and having a nice home were more important than being at home with their families. I personally have made a vow to spend as much time with my family as to influence them in a way that I believe is moral and right and to lead by example.

When I met my wife I had a couple of sport bikes and was pretty crazy. Then we got married and a friend of ours boyfriend lost his life on his bike. At that point I decided I didn't want my new wife to get that call that we need you to identify your husband, so I sold them. Sometimes I miss it, but in the end my wife and I do other things together that are just as fun. I see in the future lots more family sking and camping trips to the mountains of CO.

In the end love your kids and make them the 1 priority in your life. There is no other way that two people have an oppurtunity to impact the future than to raise great children who become great adults who can go out and change the crazy world we live in.

BPMOU said:
This is a great thread! As of today at 11:01am I will have been a father for exactly 9 days. Up until my daughter was born I had been an avid hunter here in CO and the surronding states. Over the summer I really had to think about the amount of time that I spend away from home pursuiting my hobbies, and if that time would be better spent with my family. I made the decision that everyday that I miss being with them cannot be made up and should be enjoyed to the fullest. I would have never believed how much fun it is to just sit with your newborn and see all of the interesting things that they do through out the day. I think that marriage and children mature a person. I have always acted older then I am, but now my world seems diffrent. It's not about me, it's about my wife and my daughter having the things (me being around to spend time with) that they need and want to be happy as a family. I come from a family where my dad and grand dad were hard workers and putting food on the table and having a nice home were more important than being at home with their families. I personally have made a vow to spend as much time with my family as to influence them in a way that I believe is moral and right and to lead by example.

When I met my wife I had a couple of sport bikes and was pretty crazy. Then we got married and a friend of ours boyfriend lost his life on his bike. At that point I decided I didn't want my new wife to get that call that we need you to identify your husband, so I sold them. Sometimes I miss it, but in the end my wife and I do other things together that are just as fun. I see in the future lots more family sking and camping trips to the mountains of CO.

In the end love your kids and make them the 1 priority in your life. There is no other way that two people have an oppurtunity to impact the future than to raise great children who become great adults who can go out and change the crazy world we live in.

Congrats on the little'n! I'm sure your taking care of her, but remember, give her a kiss and read a book to her every day. Dont forget to tell her you love her and of course.... dont give in to EVERYthing. ;o) My little girl has stolen my heart... but that was expected. I cherish every hug she gives me and every time she says daddy. Mine is 16 months now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles