Beginning Trailer Build- Looking for advice on trailer frames/ chassis

travelingrn24

I am still in the brainstorming and researching phase of planning a trailer build. I know I want to build my actual trailer with composite panels, but I am having a hard time figuring out where to start with the frame. Ultimately, I want a trailer frame with timbren independent axle- less suspension, trailer brakes and tail lights and a 7 pin connector. I haven't decided yet if I want aluminum or steel. Also, I have no welding experience. Are most people assembling their own frame or where do you look to purchase one? Any advice is welcome!

Last edited:

jwiereng

I think steel welding is more accessible for beginners. Easier to learn steel, and welding machine are less cost. A simple tombstone welder could be used to make a fine trailer frame.

A second advice is to consider hot dip galvanize your steel trailer frame. Usually not a lot more costly than paint, and 50 + years lifetime

Check out trailersauce for ideas and plans https://www.trailersauce.com/

Teardropper

I haven't decided yet if I want aluminum or steel. Also, I have no welding experience.

If you are considering welding your own, there's no question about it; go with steel. Aluminum welding and trailer design is a different beast.

Learning to weld isn't an enormous challenge. Here's my wife welding up a teardrop chassis for her son's wedding present. Her first welding project.

MoGib3e.jpg

Many Youtube videos explain MIG welding, but it helps if you can find a mentor.

Tony

1000arms

I am still in the brainstorming and researching phase of planning a trailer build. I know I want to build my actual trailer with composite panels, but I am having a hard time figuring out where to start with the frame. Ultimately, I want a trailer frame with timbren independent axle- less suspension, trailer brakes and tail lights and a 7 pin connector. I haven't decided yet if I want aluminum or steel. Also, I have no welding experience. Are most people assembling their own frame or where do you look to purchase one? Any advice is welcome!
If you are considering welding your own, there's no question about it; go with steel. Aluminum welding and trailer design is a different beast.

Learning to weld isn't an enormous challenge. Here's my wife welding up a teardrop chassis for her son's wedding present. Her first welding project.

MoGib3e.jpg

Many Youtube videos explain MIG welding, but it helps if you can find a mentor.

Tony
Teardropper wrote the book "Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper". Even if you don't plan to build a teardrop trailer, you will likely find some useful information reading it. :)

billiebob

Steel for sure. The difference in melting point to boiling point is much wider in steel than aluminium. Steel is infinitely easier to learn to weld on.

Me, I always hire a Journeyman welder. I cut and fabricate everything then bring in a guy to do the welding. He is always cheaper than the cost of buying a welder and as a Journeyman welder I never think about the integrity of the weld.... IF you have the pieces cut and assembled to weld it might take a welder less than an hour to weld it.

My last trailer frame project the welding was free. He did the welding in 3 hours... I installed a chimney and wood stove in his cabin.... way better than me learning to weld or him convincing his insurance his chimney was safe. Plus I made a great friend.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I am considering a trailer build when my motorhome project is complete. There is always a new project in the wings :)
Fibreglass/closed cell polyurethane foam sandwich panel body, monocoque with a 200mm gap between the twin skin floors that provide huge strength and water storage. Fibreglass parabolic leaf springs (if I can find them), dampers, conventional axle but maybe a pulltruded glass tube, disc brakes (from a Dana 70 that are already waiting in the shed) with electric over hydraulic actuation. 17x8.5 Method HD alloys and 37" x 12.5 AT tyres to match the motorhome.
All fun. If I live long enough. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

jmmaxus

Utility trailers you buy from big box stores are all going to be cheap usually angle iron not fully boxed and also usually leaf springs. Trailers you buy from dealers many you could at least get with torsion axles although typically single axle light trailer won’t come with brakes and you’d have to find a dealer that will add them. I haven’t found a utility trailer company that offers Timbren.

I’ve been designing my own trailer in CAD. My design is an all Aluminum trailer with Timbren axle. I don’t have welding experience nor want to learn my plan is developing a bolt together and/or huck bolted trailer. Huck bolted is the technique used in military trailers and Schutt brand and is a welding replacement and is actually superior to welding problem is huck guns are expensive even to rent them. Other method is I’m going to bolt it together and use special industrial lock washers used in industries such as bolt together roller coasters along with zinc aluminum plated bolts. Also, you can have a metal supplier cut metal and if you provide CAD files they will even laser cut the holes.

Rear and Underside.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Utility trailers you buy from big box stores are all going to be cheap usually angle iron not fully boxed and also usually leaf springs. Trailers you buy from dealers many you could at least get with torsion axles although typically single axle light trailer won’t come with brakes and you’d have to find a dealer that will add them. I haven’t found a utility trailer company that offers Timbren.

I’ve been designing my own trailer in CAD. My design is an all Aluminum trailer with Timbren axle. I don’t have welding experience nor want to learn my plan is developing a bolt together and/or huck bolted trailer. Huck bolted is the technique used in military trailers and Schutt brand and is a welding replacement and is actually superior to welding problem is huck guns are expensive even to rent them. Other method is I’m going to bolt it together and use special industrial lock washers used in industries such as bolt together roller coasters along with zinc aluminum plated bolts. Also, you can have a metal supplier cut metal and if you provide CAD files they will even laser cut the holes.

View attachment 763954

I’m curious to know how much you think the Huck Gun will set you back versus all that formed and cut aluminum. Yes, they are expensive (and large too, so thing about your bolt placement with respect to gun clearance) but it looks like a very expensive build overall. If you build it, please post a total materials and fab cost, along with your location. You might have better luck $$ wise with finding a fab shop that already has a huck gun to do your connections.

wparkinson97

I recently taught myself to weld so I could build my own frame. It's been fun to learn and I built a welding cart and workbench for practice.

Attachments

• PXL_20230120_235558007.jpg
    PXL_20230120_235558007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

jmmaxus

I’m curious to know how much you think the Huck Gun will set you back versus all that formed and cut aluminum. Yes, they are expensive (and large too, so thing about your bolt placement with respect to gun clearance) but it looks like a very expensive build overall. If you build it, please post a total materials and fab cost, along with your location. You might have better luck $$ wise with finding a fab shop that already has a huck gun to do your connections.

My main inspiration is the Shutt Xventure XV3 which cost $18k at retail and is a huck bolted trailer. The Huck 256 gun I’ll need will set me back $3500 plus the cost of tank to run it. Not completely sure about rental cost as most companies you have to inquire although I’ve seen some around $100/day. It’s expensive and why I may just lean toward using lock washer and bolts. Also, I wouldn’t buy a gun outright unless I decided to build more than one trailer. I’m in SoCal and I’ve gotten quotes for the Aluminum without the laser cut hole service and this isn’t a cheap build the aluminum tubing is 1/4” wall tubing. That being said it’s still a fraction of the cost of a new Xventure and I should be able to build it less than that of a Smittybilt Scout which is a budget steel and steel panel trailer that goes for $7500. Minus the huck bolt gun cost.

This is an older CAD design pic don’t have an updated one on my phone. I’ve considered clearance when Huck bolting.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
My main inspiration is the Shutt Xventure XV3 which cost $18k at retail and is a huck bolted trailer. The Huck 256 gun I’ll need will set me back $3500 plus the cost of tank to run it. Not completely sure about rental cost as most companies you have to inquire although I’ve seen some around $100/day. It’s expensive and why I may just lean toward using lock washer and bolts. Also, I wouldn’t buy a gun outright unless I decided to build more than one trailer. I’m in SoCal and I’ve gotten quotes for the Aluminum without the laser cut hole service and this isn’t a cheap build the aluminum tubing is 1/4” wall tubing. That being said it’s still a fraction of the cost of a new Xventure and I should be able to build it less than that of a Smittybilt Scout which is a budget steel and steel panel trailer that goes for $7500. Minus the huck bolt gun cost.

This is an older CAD design pic don’t have an updated one on my phone. I’ve considered clearance when Huck bolting.

That seems like pretty decent pricing compared to what I would have guessed. When I worked in mining, a lot of the high vibration equipment was huck bolted. There are quite a few mining / aggregates suppliers in SoCal, and even more if you’re willing to head toward Phoenix. It’s been a couple of decades, so my contacts are probably no longer active, but you might ask around to anyplace that does aggregate equipment supply / repairs or runs heavy construction service trucks. Maybe they won’t rent a gun but a mechanic might bring the truck by for a Saturday side job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles