Beginning my Nidaplast honeycomb panel build

MillerPut

Hello, all, I’m moving ahead with my slide-in truck camper build and hope to find some other builders that are using the honeycomb panels with a resin/fiberglass skin. Ive got my tub built and just added my wings. Now I’m beginning the fiberglass reinforcement of the wing. This is the scary part. This wing is cantilevered out over the truck bed rail about 17” and has to support most of the wall and ceiling weight. Sure would like to find someone out there that has done a similar build.
A6FA23E3-6B44-45C7-B0B1-1DD9B7FCD579.jpeg

tanuki.himself

that is putting an awful lot of load on the wing roots - if you can brace them at all against the tub sides at all without stopping you sliding it in every little will help

what are your plans for the front and back walls? they can add a lot of strength and act to support the side walls, probably far more than the wings can....

rruff

Explorer
Now I’m beginning the fiberglass reinforcement of the wing. This is the scary part.

Those panels look like they are just the honeycomb... is that right?

You'll need a generous radius inside and out. For the inside radius I use a mix of epoxy and fumed silica (cabosil), and you can add flox or chopped fibers to make it stronger if you like. Then cover with enough glass to make you happy.

Making the wings thicker would also help... doubling thickness would make them ~3x stronger and stiffer in bending.

Last edited:

ScottReb

Adventurer
Not sure what type of fiberglass cloth you're using but I see chopped strand (CSM) in the photo. Not really adding any strength with that. Do some more research and look at different weaves for more strength. Lots of options for multidirectional cloth.

reddrum

Interested to see this. I have done tons of research about building an expedition style box similar to how you are building this. Finishing the glass will be a lot of work but I believe it will be a very nice style.

The wings definitely need a significant amount of reinforcement. A diagonal brace on the underside as big as you can make it will help.

Are you using regular fiberglass resin or epoxy? Epoxy will add significant strength but a lot of cost as well.

As mentioned above, look into different fiberglass weaves. 1708 biaxial and woven roving are much stronger than CSM. You can find some strength charts for comparison. Direction of the weave, and using it correctly, will add strength as well. In fiberglass there are many little things you can do to make the build stronger without necessarily adding cost. Technique is important. S-glass versus others is worth comparing as well.

West Systems has tons of free info.
Excellent free resource. https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/GougeonBook-061205-1.pdf

Couple of very good books.
Fiberglass Boat Building for Amateurs
The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders, Designers, and Owners

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier