Beer Question

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I'm curious about the transportation of beer in bottles on off road trips. I've never liked to bring along glass or beer on camping trips but really don't like canned beer. Am I sol or do you all have a packing secret you'd let me in on? :beer: Of course the smilie just sorta solved my problem. D'oh.

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Mc Taco said:
you all have a packing secret you'd let me in on? .

Engel fridge = cold beer.

I don't drink very much so I usually keep two in the fridge at all times and rotate in a new one as I go. For the ones outside of the fridge, I use a simple approach of either keeping the box or putting them into a stuff sack and hiding them in a corner somehwere or under a seat.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
I leave the beer in its case and pack it down with ice. The cardboard provides some cushioning, and the dividers keep everything in place. I store my beer in an Engel Ultra-Cool icebox (not the electric frig/freezer) mounted on my trailer tongue. I've never had a bottle break. I mostly drink Negra Modelo; not sure if the glass is any thicker, or the funky bottle shape helps any.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
mountainpete said:
Engel fridge = cold beer.

I don't drink very much so I usually keep two in the fridge at all times and rotate in a new one as I go. For the ones outside of the fridge, I use a simple approach of either keeping the box or putting them into a stuff sack and hiding them in a corner somehwere or under a seat.

sooo, the Engle is used to thaw out the beer you stashed elsewhere in the truck :)

----------------

For extended trips I carry beverages in a seperate cooler. Bottles loaded upright and packed solidly in ice do quite well. As the bottles are consumed, they go back into the cooler upside down - it's easier to shove them into place that way...

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Usually keep at least 10-12 in our ARB fridge. Sometimes straight up and down or laid down stacked like bowling pins. Whatever i feel and whatever i have to put in with them. Then overstock behind the drivers seat. Each time i pull a beer i put a new one in. Or sometimes just re-stock in the morning. I dont drink any beer until the evening after camp is setup so it's usually really cold by then.

I don't know what type of beer you guys drink..but, i've found that Heinekin's little keg cans works awesome for fridge freezers. The stack so nicely and stay real compact. Not to mention the walls are super strong on them.

46.jpg

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I've been hauling bottled beer in ice chest for many years and never had one break. Even when there is more water than ice they never break. No matter how rough the road, or how heavy the sea.

It's one of those magic things that just work. :friday:

K2RVR

Adventurer
I'm totally with you... I don't like carrying bottles as they take so much space "after" they have been consumed, and that is where the bottle is more prone to breakage or dripping. We all protect our beer when the bottle is full and sealed, but carrying around empties is a hardship when trying to keep the garbage bin to a minimum. Cans can be crushed and recycled.

Of course, cans suck and the options are limited.

Bag in the box would be great. but requires recarbonating the beer.
http://www.rapak.com/beer-commercial.asp

These are easy but only a few flavors...
http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Alternat...ve-Plastics-presents-The-Heineken-Keg-n674256

Some small brewers use Pop Canisters for beer...
http://www.leeners.com/kegging.html#top

Seem spretty compact and cool but how to keep it cold? Direct A/C connection? So very Pimp...

durango_60

Explorer
When I clicked on this thread I really expected someone with a vehicle based kegorator to post up. I'm sure he's out there, I'll just have to wait. :lurk:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
K2RVR said:
I'm totally with you... I don't like carrying bottles as they take so much space "after" they have been consumed, and that is where the bottle is more prone to breakage or dripping. We all protect our beer when the bottle is full and sealed, but carrying around empties is a hardship when trying to keep the garbage bin to a minimum. Cans can be crushed and recycled.

Of course, cans suck and the options are limited.

Bag in the box would be great. but requires recarbonating the beer.
http://www.rapak.com/beer-commercial.asp

These are easy but only a few flavors...
http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Alternat...ve-Plastics-presents-The-Heineken-Keg-n674256

Some small brewers use Pop Canisters for beer...
http://www.leeners.com/kegging.html#top

Seem spretty compact and cool but how to keep it cold? Direct A/C connection? So very Pimp...
If you use CO2 for airing up tires, option 1 & 3 would be easy to impliment. My BIL brings those pop syrup containers to parties, he just it in a bucket of ice

travel dodge

Adventurer
I have been amazed with how well beer in a cooler with ice and water can hold up to offroad conditions.. I have had a cooler in my trailer for many trips and never broken a bottle while driving.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The only problem I have encountered with bottles was during the first Expedition Trophy....I had a case of Amberbock stuffed in my cooler....and unknown to me, they had changed to a twist off cap----they all leaked by the time I got into the second camp, and I wasn't happy. :(

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I've never had any break in the cooler, but carrying around the empties is a pain. I usually just take something more hi-powered in a nalgene bottle (read- good tequila or bourbon).
I've learned I'm better off not taking beer. I'll sit around in the evening and drink 6-10 bottles. Thats a lot of beer to haul around and a lot of empties. Taking liquor and maybe some wine saves space and trash. I've never had a bottle of wine break in the cooler either.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I had some bottles of root beer (Henry Weinhard's) break in the back of the truck. I wasn't happy as that's where I sleep. They weren't mine & were forced on me.

The more water in a cooler the better for the survival of breakables. SOP for Locos Mocos is to only drain enough to put in new ice. Put waterlogable stuff in doubled zip-locks. The slush becomes a secondary suspension system that damps out the sharp jolts that could break bottles. These are guys who go in pursuit of places to 'fly' their trucks..........

I know of a fellow who pours his wine into a dromedary bag, and then soaks off the label & floats it onto the bag. His back-packing dinners are legendary.....

suntinez

Explorer
durango_60 said:
When I clicked on this thread I really expected someone with a vehicle based kegorator to post up. I'm sure he's out there, I'll just have to wait. :lurk:

I'm sure he's out there too, you know why??

ntsqd said:
The slush becomes a secondary suspension system that damps out the sharp jolts that could break bottles.

:xxrotflma :xxrotflma :xxrotflma

I guess we'll have to wait. :lurk:

psychohawk

Observer
couple things:

I prefer beer from the bottle (over can) too but it's much more practical to carry cans in my Engel ... usually Heineken (like so cal) sometimes Heineken light and every once in a while, Tecate. The trick is to drink the beer (from a can) at home so it tastes just fine on the trail.

about this:

durango_60 said:

Yes, I have a kegerator at home that frequently sits empty ... more than once have I thought how neat it would be to have on the trail ... or just an excuse to go to a tail gate party ... then I think back to picking up a fresh keg and how foamy it gets during the drive home ... maybe not such a good idea after all.

Carl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz