BeefCake's build...a roll your own Earthroamerish family expo rig

java

Expedition Leader
I'll stop by the tire shop and see If they still have those Toyo's, I thought they were an M555? but I could be wrong. Also on Tire prices I'm in Canada and tires and Wheels are way more expensive!! I was going to phone Buckstop and see what a set of wheels and flares cost. Also we have to add almost 30% for exchange!

The M55 is an old school toyo tire, not availabe in a 19.5 AFAIK. The M608 is a very similar tread in the 19.5's

Curious about what options in the light truck catagory are available?

I would need to run singles for the ability to air down on bad washboard roads in Baja so singles are a must.

The highest load rating I have seen in a light duty single tire is 4000 lbs.

If my camper weighed in at 5000 lbs I think I would be over the weight rating of any light duty tire.

The ones at 40xxlbs are as high as your going to find in a LT tire.

/Sorry for the Hijack.....

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm curious about those new toyos you saw. I ran the M608z 265/70r19.5 on my truck for almost 100k miles(I re-grooved them once). They wore like iron, but I was not thrilled with their mud/snow performance. I live in rural Western Oregon where mud is a constant 6-7 months a year and I travel into the snowy regions for weeks on end.

-Chris
These are the tires. Toyo 655. I see Toyo Canada shows them now.
https://www.toyotires.ca/tires/m655-mixed-service-all-position-tire

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 94

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm curious about those new toyos you saw. I ran the M608z 265/70r19.5 on my truck for almost 100k miles(I re-grooved them once). They wore like iron, but I was not thrilled with their mud/snow performance. I live in rural Western Oregon where mud is a constant 6-7 months a year and I travel into the snowy regions for weeks on end.

-Chris

I’d stay away from the mrap wheels. The offset is just too hard to work out I think. If you do go that route you can get much better pricing on the MPT’s. I paid $385 a piece for mine brand new shipped of eBay. Seller was a tire shop on east coast with some sort of deal on them. Shipped to the local terminal in pdx for $250 I think.

I’m very pleased with my setup for the weight of truck that I have. But the Stryker wheels were key for me liking this set up. I think my front to rear track is within an inch.

If you can keep your rig lighter by 2000 lbs or so I think there are more options in light truck category. I was tempted by the m608’s as well but they were pretty pricey and I really wanted the overdrive of bigger meats. As far as suspension goes...I think reality is either air suspension with truck tires or flotation Tires and stock springs will make the trucks ride fine when loaded. My truck spends a lot of time unloaded so I like having both...though I wished I had stiffer rear springs when loaded.
Looking at the price of MRAP, adapters and bolt kits I could get a set of 1st attack or Buckstop. I'm going to call a local fire apparatus builder that makes a super single bush truck and see what they use for wheels and price.

java

Expedition Leader

-Chris
These are the tires. Toyo 655. I see Toyo Canada shows them now.
https://www.toyotires.ca/tires/m655-mixed-service-all-position-tire
Those look very interesting!! Look at the siping on them. Yum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fatboyz

Observer
Looks like they're made for the Canadian market. They have the "snowflake" winter rating too. The oilfield in Alberta here is a big user of Ford 450 and 550's. In our Little town here I bet there's bet there's close to 100 550's alone. That tire was designed specifically for that Niche is what the tire guy told me.

Wyuna

Observer
Thats a nice looking tire, a proper all weather tire,

They may be available in the states, as not all tire manufactures put all their range on their catalogues.

Might be worth shooting an email

java

Expedition Leader
Thats a nice looking tire, a proper all weather tire,

They may be available in the states, as not all tire manufactures put all their range on their catalogues.

Might be worth shooting an email
The Toyo isn't available in the US.... I tried.... Because it does look like a damn good winter tire.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DzlToy

Explorer
There are a few companies releasing Load Range F tires, in the so-called "light truck" line or at least that style of tire, i.e. not a 16 ply commercial tire or fitting a 19.5" wheel that cannot be aired down to low pressures. Otherwise, you are stuck with something like an MPT in 275mm, going up to a 335 MPT from Michelin or Continental or sticking with dual rear wheels and to the paved and graded gravel roads.

This has long been a dilemma in this community, just like finding skinny 35 to 37" diameter tires is in the rock crawling world. Do manufacturers build what customers demand or do customers simply buy what is put out on the stand?

EDIT: Toyo makes an Open Country in Load Range F.

Cool build and trip. Cheers

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@lostih If i am reading this all correctly, you were able to run the 41" MPT81s with just a level kit and fender trimming??

Did you move the front axle forward at all like some of those big expensive fancy kits do?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94