BeefCake's build...a roll your own Earthroamerish family expo rig

java

Expedition Leader
Bummer! Are they the same o'ring as the mrap wheels? I bet they are. Those are available

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
hey dude sorry to hear - but if you haven't made it through to Canada yet i've got 5 of them here in Blaine ... you can have any or all of them for the trip!

let me know or hit me on email - Jim

lostih

Observer
Bummer! Are they the same o'ring as the mrap wheels? I bet they are. Those are available

I’ve heard varying reports on whether they are the same. I would assume so as well. Never heard back from Hutchinson, but it’s holding pressure fine and I bought a caulk tube of rtv for the tool kit Incase I need to make my own. I’ll get the right part when we get home.

lostih

Observer
We’ve made it to Canada! Spent a night in Northern Idaho at this spot:
2aedd2253e15d6dfcb3bcfc9b39202cf.jpg

Tonight we are boondocking outside Cranbrook BC.

f7ac6f80c36d5dc3a3cd15a279ce1c21.jpg

So far very pleased with how it is working!

java

Expedition Leader
So awesome! If your passing thru Seattle on your way back home let me know!

lostih

Observer
Boys like being celebrities...my youngest walks around telling people they can take a picture of our truck if they want. Doesn’t matter if they have a camera out or not...he’s just sure everyone needs a pic We might need to work on tact and humility with this one...

73ff71c4febc7d4213de54ac199c4d10.jpg

BTW...no boondocking in the Canadian National parks so we stayed in a gravel parking lot last night Who knew banff would be busy on a Saturday in July?

java

Expedition Leader
Haha that's great :) at least they have the overflow lots though! That's such a beautiful area.

java

Expedition Leader
That reminds me, I need to do something about that before fall :D

lostih

Observer
I’ll try and do a bit more of a travel log now that we are well on our way. Banff and Jasper were beautiful, though extremely crowded on a weekend in late July. If you have the option I’d try and hit it during the week.

8bcb52c092d56eeea6bb22d1af9d4536.jpg

712fccba1af2ca1859ec9ad4ede640ab.jpg

2316fd9d74c0fa023aba04c68df160ff.jpg

Our first and last days were overcast and drizzly which made seeing the peaks a little less impressive, but the hot springs a little more welcome

First come, first served campsites are numerous, you just have to get there early afternoonish. Also they are busier closer to attractions. We stayed at both Marble Canyon in Kootenay NP (gorgeous little hike across the road) and Wilcox Canyon (super close to the icefields center)

We left Jasper through the east entrance and then took highway 40 north from Hinton towards Grand Cache and Grande creek. The section between Hinton and Grand Cache gave me the heebie jeebies as it was so deserted. guess I better get used to that . I think it was just a sharp contrast from banff and jasper where there were way more people than I’m used to. We were going to camp by Grand Cache but instead booked it up to Big Mountain Creek campground that is free and down a 6km muddy road and right outside of Grand Praire where we are now.

fddaa98d26d7004132f39f4d477d3235.jpg

lostih

Observer
Composting Toilet Update

So several asked for updates on the homemade composting toilet. I have to say I am really, really pleased with it!

It has not been without its learning curve but I’m a fan. The first issue we had was when somebody put the lid back on without making sure the funnel lined up with the milk jug. This caused a bit of a flood the next time it got used. Spill #1.

The second issue was with overflow. This has happened twice (spills #2 and #3) and will not happen again. I didn’t put in the sight gauge that the C-head has and I’ve paid the price. I fixed that this morning by cutting a slot in the front of the outer container so you can see the urine level. Turns out two adults and two kids per more than a gallon a day. I guess I should have known that, but nothing like learning science by doing

On the #2 side of things...this thing is AWESOME! I emptied it for the first time today a week into our trip. I think I started with too much sawdust in it. I think we could ha e kept going but there was a free sawdust source right next to our campsite so why not. Emptying it was odorless and easy. It was last used probably 10 hrs before.

Not to be vulgar but let’s talk about smell. I have a confession to make...I know I’m probably the only one...but my poo stinks. Having a composting toilet doesn’t change that. So when you make a deposit, it’s gonna stink just like it does at home. However once you crank the handle and get the poo sawdust coated the smell dissipates. I just have a normal plastic toilet seat without any sort of gasket. However, when it’s closed and the handle is in there is very little odor. I never got to installing the vent and computer fan that I had planned on installing so I leave the exhaust fan in the bathroom on low. This has proved to be quite sufficient.

Anyways...I’m very pleased!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior