Bedwell's M416 Trailer Build

Bedwell

Observer
Well, so much for my plan on bringing the trailer along for trailrides in stock conditon. :sombrero:

Had a friend stop by the other day and we decided to put some time in on the trailer. We first pulled the wheels and popped the cap and greased the bearings. We weren't able to remove the spindle nut so we greased the bearings as best we could. Was this done correctly or do I need to remove the nut? It has to be larger than a 2" socket and it appears to haven't been serviced or removed in a very long time (if ever.)

Next we decided to remove the fenders. Broke two bolts on the drivers side fender, I hope this isn't how the rest of the trailer is going to be. I will replace all hardware with grade 8.

Next we removed the rear reflectors, I used a cutoff wheel on the first bolt but I didn't want to damage the reflector (if I decide to reuse them or sell) so I opted to drill the other 3 bolts out. (Removing them normally was not an option due to a flathead style bolt head that easily stripped out.)

Last I gave it a decent power wash to remove alot of the dirt and junk from both inside the tub as well as the exterior. Nothing worse than trying to work on a project coated in mud!

I have plans for another wheeling trip at Rausch Creek next weekend, so any trailer building will be put on hold. I have been gathering alot of information and ideas for my trailer from here and around the net, if you have any feedback or critizism I would appreciate the comments!

I am going to call the tag and title company about the possible VIN I located next week and see if that will help in getting a proper title for it. Plan is still for Maine tags though.

Bedwell

Observer
I spoke with the tag and title company sometime last week, the VIN does me no good in trying to get it registered it through MD, so I will just go ahead and get my Maine tags and avoid alot of the headache.

My buddy Greg stopped by this evening and we decided to work on the trailer. I had greased the wheel bearings incorrectly (my post above) and we went ahead and got the spinde nut removed with a hammer and a punch. The nut was not on very tight and removed very easily. I will get the bearings repacked and installed tomorrow evening. The PA Jeep show is a few weeks away in York PA so I want to try and get it fixed up to bring along. (If your coming stop by and say hello!) In order to do that I need to get the following done:

Jeep:

- Install trailer wiring and ball hitch
- Bolt check
- Weld tow hook mount to bumper

Trailer:

- Reinstall fenders and reflectors
- Repack the wheel bearings and reassemble
- Get the trailer tagged and road worthy

A few photos from this evening:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
As usual I am late to all the new 416 builds but have been off of here for a while so..................

WELCOME TO ANOTHER BOTTOMLESS MONEY PIT

Now that the statement is out of the way, what a great project. Wish mine had been that straight. They always Looks straight until you try to make a lid for it.

All of your ideas are here on someone's build so check everyone's out. We have done everything on your list and can give you the good, bad, and the ugly of each step. Mine was about the same or worse and I am at 2+ years but have been at a standstill lately due to work issues.

Check out my thread (listed below) and you can see some of your ideas and what I learned.

Have fun and keep the pictures coming and as I always say "It is not an M416 build until the official Harbor Freight box is mounted on the tongue!"

Flashole

Adventurer
Spoke with one of the local tag and title companies today, both good and bad news.

Good news is that I can get it registered, bad news is its not through MD. I will have to go through Maine to get my tags since MD makes it near impossible to register.

I feel bad for you guys that live in the Blue states(politically speaking), you always have to wade through a bunch of government bureaucracy to get anything done. I went and registered mine yesterday, and it literally took me all of 15 minutes. One form that they pretty much filled out for me, handed them a check and they handed me the plates. I was dreading the process, but it really couldn't have been much easier.

Glad you can get it titled. Even if it is from another state.

Bedwell

Observer
As usual I am late to all the new 416 builds but have been off of here for a while so..................

WELCOME TO ANOTHER BOTTOMLESS MONEY PIT

Now that the statement is out of the way, what a great project. Wish mine had been that straight. They always Looks straight until you try to make a lid for it.

All of your ideas are here on someone's build so check everyone's out. We have done everything on your list and can give you the good, bad, and the ugly of each step. Mine was about the same or worse and I am at 2+ years but have been at a standstill lately due to work issues.

Check out my thread (listed below) and you can see some of your ideas and what I learned.

Have fun and keep the pictures coming and as I always say "It is not an M416 build until the official Harbor Freight box is mounted on the tongue!"

I am well aware its another money pit. My buddy Greg (pictured above) has a good amount of change sunk into his and he is still planning to do additional mods to it. I stopped adding up the receipts on the Jeep as I'm sure it would make me sick how much money I have put into it.

The mods that I listed a page or two back have been gathered on here and around the net. I have a folder on the computer of saved photos and ideas that I'd like to incorporate into my trailer. I'll be sure to check out your thread too.

I feel bad for you guys that live in the Blue states(politically speaking), you always have to wade through a bunch of government bureaucracy to get anything done. I went and registered mine yesterday, and it literally took me all of 15 minutes. One form that they pretty much filled out for me, handed them a check and they handed me the plates. I was dreading the process, but it really couldn't have been much easier.

Glad you can get it titled. Even if it is from another state.

I don't want my thread to derail, but I agree with you completely. MD makes me shake my head most days. I can't register my trailer, passed very restrictive gun legislation, and we have a rain tax. (Look up the rain tax one. :mad: ) I will be moving to a free state when I decide to purchase a home.

I'm not sure if this has been made clear, you can get the trailer registered (tagged) through Maine. From what I have gathered Maine does not issue you a title.

Bedwell

Observer
Greg stopped by yesterday afternoon for a couple hours to help me finish up the trailer. Greg repacked the bearings for me while I cleaned out the drums. Install when farely smooth except for the left side hub cap would not go on very easily.

Started with:

Cleaned up:

Reinstalled:

I should also make note that I reinstalled the fenders as well as the rear reflectors.

Bedwell

Observer
Submitted my paperwork for Maine registration this afternoon. I should be recieving my tag within the next couple weeks.

Septu

Explorer
One suggestion. I'd almost hold off on the major mods. Put a lid and a RTT on it, and get out and use it. Then as you use it and figure out what exactly you need/want... go from there.

But can't wait to see how it turns out.

Bedwell

Observer
One suggestion. I'd almost hold off on the major mods. Put a lid and a RTT on it, and get out and use it. Then as you use it and figure out what exactly you need/want... go from there.

But can't wait to see how it turns out.

The major mods in my eyes are a lid and a roof top tent. :sombrero: All I have done to the trailer was remove the fenders and reflectors and regrease the wheel bearings. I put the fenders and reflectors back on as I want to take it to the PA Jeep show in a couple weeks. I submitted my paperwork for my Maine tag last week and should receive it before the show. I have some small mods that I need to take care of on the Jeep but the trailer is ready to go. Since I have already filed for my tag I plan to bring the trailer along now on trail rides. I plan to stock pile parts over the next few months / year and then do a complete restoration.

Bedwell

Observer
Got my tag today and mounted on the trailer. The show is tommorrow morning and still have last minute things to do!

Bedwell

Observer
This past weekend I attended the PA Jeep show in York Pennsylvania. This is probably one of the largest Jeep / offroad events on the east coast. I was given the opportunity to park my Jeep next to the KnowWhere2Jeep tent. I did not take many photos as I wandered around for most of the day on Saturday talking to different vendors and what not and Sunday I helped at the KW2J tent. I also ran the obstacle course which was fun too. I should make note that this was my first time ever towing a trailer and had only about 20 minutes of practice before I left for the show. It took me a few times to back the Jeep and trailer into my spot. :sombrero:

Ian Johnson from Xtreme4x4:

Jeep cleaned up with my M416 in tow:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That trailer just screams " Matching tube fenders, Jeep green paint, wheels and a tan cover "

I like matching toys!

Nice looking Jeep!

Attachments

• 1923.jpg
    1923.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 226354_350009798407751_9630184_n.jpg
    226354_350009798407751_9630184_n.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Trail%20Ride%20and%20Show%20034.jpg
    Trail%20Ride%20and%20Show%20034.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2012-04-28_11-42-45_340.jpg
    2012-04-28_11-42-45_340.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 15
  • bryanspics441.jpg
    bryanspics441.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 372
  • a74df133.jpg
    a74df133.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 17

finnd1

Testudineous Dan
I am well aware its another money pit. My buddy Greg (pictured above) has a good amount of change sunk into his and he is still planning to do additional mods to it. I stopped adding up the receipts on the Jeep as I'm sure it would make me sick how much money I have put into it.

The mods that I listed a page or two back have been gathered on here and around the net. I have a folder on the computer of saved photos and ideas that I'd like to incorporate into my trailer. I'll be sure to check out your thread too.

I don't want my thread to derail, but I agree with you completely. MD makes me shake my head most days. I can't register my trailer, passed very restrictive gun legislation, and we have a rain tax. (Look up the rain tax one. :mad: ) I will be moving to a free state when I decide to purchase a home.

I'm not sure if this has been made clear, you can get the trailer registered (tagged) through Maine. From what I have gathered Maine does not issue you a title.

Move down to Virginia and we will build out m416's together. :) Just reading this now, so I missed you at PA Jeeps. I was the big Red Rock JKU on 37's with the M416 behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94