Bedford RL Rail on rail

dermal fauna

Hi I'm new to this board, I have a 1956 Bedford RL , it has an extremely flexible chassis, the original bodies were just u-bolted on, I reckon I'm going to go for a sprung rail on rail system, does anyone have experience with this vehicle? Or could you point me to the best part of the forum for rail on rail tips. The pick is my truck, if I'd have kept lifting with the forklift, it would have kept twisting, probably to an unhealthy degree. I want to maintain as much flex as is safe with a sprung system.IMG_20210421_153441.jpgIMG_20210421_153441.jpgIMG_20210421_153441.jpgIMG_20210421_150511.jpgIMG_20210424_063721.jpg
Cheers

pigsammy

That looks like it's gonna be a cool base to build on! Now I see the reason for your fabric/torsion questions.

Joe917

Explorer
Mercedes trucks have a similar twisty frame. Mercedes recommend a 3 point mount or a ridged mount. our box is a ridged mount with over 25 years and 400 000 km of use. The box has to be very well built to stand the stresses.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Cool truck. Old trucks have flexy frames. I'd probably go rail on rail, fixed on one end and springs on the rest of it.

dermal fauna

Thanks for the positivity, I do love my truck and it still brings a smile to my face after 25yrs. I reckon I will go for rail on rail, I hope to make a subframe that's heavy duty enough that it won't flex and that I can put a commercial fridge body on it, although I'm still toying with the idea of pvc lorry sheet.

Joe917

Explorer
Pvc is a particularly nasty plastic and should be avoided whenever possible. A "soft" box will be difficult to insulate and install doors and windows. It will offer all the security of a tent.
A commercial fridge body is a great option.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Look at some old military trucks in the 2.5 ton to 5 ton size. They use rail on rail, fixed at one end and springs and bolts for the rest. It's the cheapest, easiest and has worked well for decades. Doesn't mean it's the best in any one category but is a very good all around design.

dermal fauna

Thanks for those replies, I'm going to go with rail on rail, should be ok. It'll allow more flex than the original body did and hopefully a well designed subframe should be able to isolate that flex from the Han box.
Cheers

dermal fauna

Pvc is a particularly nasty plastic and should be avoided whenever possible. A "soft" box will be difficult to insulate and install doors and windows. It will offer all the security of a tent.
A commercial fridge body is a great option.
It would be a bit more thought out than a tarp thrown over some hoops but I would rather a fridge body

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz