Bed setup with drawers and large spare while maintaining space for sleeping

UglyViking

I'm curious to see what sort of setups you guys with 37"+ tires, caps and drawers are using. My truck is a daily and "do it all" rig but I want to mount a full size spare, at least temporarily, in the bed for longer road trips and back country adventures.

I'm going on a trip out to MT this summer and towing my 7500lb trailer along with me. My initial thought was to purchase a Rigd carrier and be good to go but I'm having a hard time finding data on if everything will piece together as I'd hoped. Weight isn't an issue, I've done the math there, but the length is a concern with a 37 hanging off the carrier. (aside: if any guys have a rigd carrier with a 37 I'd love to get a measurement from the end of the lock pin to the tire so I can measure to see if it will clear my trailer and allow for close to full articulation)

My current thought is to mount the tire rear of the drivers side wheel well in a vertical position. Then to build a 3/4 (give or take) drawer system to the right and potentially behind it. I could also potentially build drawers up behind the spare if I keep it more permanently mounted or build a "top" that extends to a flat base for when I'm not carrying the spare.

I thought about a vertical tire carrier like the AEV mount, but I think it's going to take up too much of the width of the bed, although I like how centered the weight would be.

My truck is a 2019 Ram 2500 with an RSI cap for those interested.

Looking for pictures, thoughts, feedback, direction, etc.

GeorgeHayduke

That position would make access to the tire pretty convenient, but might block access to the 115V plug or bed light switch if you have those. Not sure if it would hit the sloping walls of the RSI cap? If you don't need full length drawers you could just put the tire flat on the floor and build the deck platform over the top of it. I suppose there also always the option of on top of the cap...

UglyViking

That position would make access to the tire pretty convenient, but might block access to the 115V plug or bed light switch if you have those. Not sure if it would hit the sloping walls of the RSI cap? If you don't need full length drawers you could just put the tire flat on the floor and build the deck platform over the top of it. I suppose there also always the option of on top of the cap...
I had thought about putting it on the roof, but I wouldn't want to leave it up there all the time (deterioration of the tire plus weight), nor would I want to load it up there, but it's not a bad idea. I suppose if I'm doing it infrequently enough that is as good as anywhere.

I hadn't thought about the sloping nature of the cap, so I may need to do some clearance checking before I mount anything obviously. Good points on the light and button but I think I could still access the switch from the forward position.

What I had not thought about is putting it under the drawers. I like how out of the way it is, but I'm not sure I'm a huge fan depending on how tall I would need to make the platform. I would love to be able to sit up in the cap, more or less, and I think I'd have to make it tall enough I wouldn't be able to.

I like this with the spare buried at the front cuz contrary to the philosophy of keeping the spare easily accessible I've had 4 flats in 40 years.
Agreed. The likelihood of me, or anyone, getting a flat is pretty slim. I'm less concerned around town or even on the highway for the most part, but considering how hard parts are to get for everything, including tires, I'd hate to be stuck halfway to MT, or deep in the north Maine woods, without a viable option easily or quickly available. I don't care if it takes me a half hour to dig it out though, since I can't imagine it's gonna get used much, if ever.

jadmt

ignore button user
I like this with the spare buried at the front cuz contrary to the philosophy of keeping the spare easily accessible I've had 4 flats in 40 years.
I have been driving since the early 70's and I have had basically the same experience. knock on wood.

phsycle

Adventurer
I don’t know much about Rams. I’m assuming 37’s don’t fit underneath.

That platform seems like a good idea. But that’s a lot of storage. I wouldn’t want the spare taking up room in the bed, personally. But I hate towing trailers so I’d need as much bed space as possible.
Can you carry it on the trailer?
If not, I’d hope something like that Rigd carrier will work.

jadmt

ignore button user
I don’t know much about Rams. I’m assuming 37’s don’t fit underneath.

That platform seems like a good idea. But that’s a lot of storage. I wouldn’t want the spare taking up room in the bed, personally. But I hate towing trailers so I’d need as much bed space as possible.
Can you carry it on the trailer?
If not, I’d hope something like that Rigd carrier will work.
nope a 35" is max and it is tight but doable. many people with Power wagons who run 37's just use a 35 for a spare as if you get a flat on the back tire they just move a front tire to the back and run the spare up front. PW have a lsd in the back as well as a locker. this is how tight a 35 is.
3979EEC0-6A45-4B29-98A2-4007DF18F065.jpeg3F6E285B-4A85-426A-9DAA-F861D19BB55F.jpeg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, I’d probably just use a 35 as a spare, if you can’t make a tire carrier work. In-bed is a no-go for me.

UglyViking

What kind of trailer are you pulling? Can you mount it on the trailer somewhere?
It's a 32' Salem with a slide. I could probably store it in the trailer, but I'd rather keep it on the rig for times when I'm not in the trailer.

The trailer is basically a base camp for the dogs and the family, and I don't always use it on trips, so I'd like to keep the spare with the truck.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I think my first choice would be on the trailer, either the rear or front. Maybe run to a selding shop with the trailer and tire, maybe a 1/2 basket would be an easy mod. Just double check the tongue weight if that's where you e d up putting it. Might have to rearrange how the trailer is loaded.

Second could you do like the cad diagram but instead of under the platform have it vertical? Or vertical on one of the sides in front of the wheelwells. A 37" is what 12-13" wide? So you wouldn't lose much platform space and could go lower w/the total height (of the platform) to preserve headroom. I don't know if you have a sliding window you want to use where vertical against the cab may not make sense? The tire would stick up abt what 15" or so above the bed rail?

The only issue with inside is its great when it's a nice new tire, but if you've had a flat and are now sleeping next to a muddy one you might get comments from the family. Maybe have a vinyl cover of some sort so if you bump it you're not wearing the mud.

Good luck. Love to see what you decide.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles