Bed rack w/ RTT or popup camper shell (GFC style)?

Antwon412

After many years of dreaming about it, I am finally in a position where I can start building up a truck into overland rig. It’s a 2020 Ram Rebel 1500. I know a 2500 would be a better place to start, but it was not feasible for various reasons. At some point I will probably upgrade to a Power Pagon. I do love those things.

I keep going back-and-forth between set up like a Leitner ACS bed rack system with a nice rooftop tent or one of the lightweight camper shell pop-up tent systems like a Go Fast Camper or a Vagabond Drifter. I also go back-and-forth between the wedge style pop-up tent or a full pop up. I really like the Ovrlnd campers.

I would think a bed rack and rooftop tent would be handy because then I could relatively easily takeoff the tent and have a pretty useful bed still.
I can get a pretty nice Leitner bed rack with a couple options for about 2400 bucks to my front door. And probably find a decent rooftop tent for 1000 to 1500 bucks on my local craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

But the camper shell style would be nice because then I have an enclosed area in the bed to build out as a small kitchen and sitting area.
I guess really something like that go fast camper that has the opening side and rear is the best of both worlds. Or at least the best compromise.

I’d love to hear some feedback from people who have gone one way or the other.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Is money an issue?

Leitner Rack or any of the much cheaper racks with a RTT is considerably less than an 8-10k OVRLND or GFC with a considerable turn around time.

Go rack and RTT and spend the rest on other stuff, or invest it.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
We went from a rooftop tent to a Four Wheel Camper . Albiet, a little different than the pop-up style you are considering, but the basic concept is the same. In my honest opinion (especially if you are considering either on the same full size truck and if your budget can afford it) their is absolutely no comparison. I can't think of a single instance when a rooftop tent would have been preferable (again, on the same full size truck) over any pop-up type camper. Our camper setsup quicker than our rooftop tent, has more room, has real amenities (these would depend on the specific pop-up you are considering, but at the most minimal you could have a heater, real seats, a comfy pre-made bed, and most likely cooking surface options, and even a porta-potti) is far easier to get in and out of, and provides you with a real inside "living" area to escape inclement weather. Where we would hide out the rain in our old rooftop tent, we can actually live and enjoy inside the pop-up camper. Try spending a day and night on the northwest coast of Vancouver Island in rain unlike anything you've ever seen and you'll understand.

jadmt

ignore button user
I am looking to do the same with my new Power Wagon. (for the record unless you all ready own a 1500 you are not that much $$ different in a pw and especially if you get a tradesman with pw option). I live fairly close to go fast campers ie they are about 200 miles to the east of me. Biggest issue I can see with a GFC is if you put a deposit down and order one today (actually yesterday is when I contacted them) it will not even start production until August 2021. I have seen too many times really long wait times end up either being even longer than promised and look how many times companies go under especially in these unchartered times. One of my buddies is getting a PW as soon as his duramax sells and was interested in a GFC as well but when I told him the wait time he said the same thing too long to wait. heck that is pretty much the camping season for both of us. My wife has summers off and I am retired so it might be done in time for here to go back to work..Loved the idea of one. a shell Four wheel camper might be an idea but a lot more money. We did the RTT on a trailer thing for a couple of years and RTT suck in the rain and a pain getting in and out of when you are 60+

phsycle

Adventurer
I still don’t get the lure of RTT’s but they’re selling because I see everything from Buick’s, Subaru’s to all types of blinged up trucks with them on.

Get a high rise shell. Keep it simple.

If you spend more time with the shell off than on, I’ve had excellent experience with Softtopper. Quick and easy take down and set up. Keeps stuff dry for camping.

jonathon

ATC shells start at $10k empty and come with the benefit of being totally sealed where a GFC is not. The downside is weight and with a 1500 there’s not a lot of wiggle room. If your planning a full build out it may be a better option since everything can be removed from the truck as a contained unit.

Does your Rebel have coils or air suspension? If you have air you will need to treat factory payload ratings as a hard and fast number. They do not design the factory system to take excess weight and you will blow a bag if over weight and it will not be covered by warranty.

With standard suspension as long as you’ve addressed excess squat and are within tire and axle weight limits it’s not as much of an issue. Lots of overweight F150s, Tundras, 1500s, Tacomas, etc running around without issue.

If you haven’t purchased already keep in mind once you swap to a larger LT tire you will get 2500 fuel mileage without the benefits of a 2500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles