Bed liners and insulation for interior

BrianTN

Adventurer
So I'm tired of the carpet in my truck. There are stains, it can hold in moisture and smell, something else to clean, etc.. I'm looking at rolling on a bed liner inside. I've been looking around at reviews and it seems Monstaliner has some of the best reviews. I'm also looking at Al's liner, Durabac, and Raptor. I know something like Linex is more durable and I'd go with that if I were coating the bed, but this is for inside the truck. I doubt my boots, dog's paws, sliding a cooler or Pelican case, etc. will cause enough damage. Before I lay down the bed liner, I was looking at adding some sound and heat insulation first. Some options I'm looking at are Al's HNR and Lizardskin. Al's is much cheaper and both products in one. Does anyone have experience with these?

txnight

Adventurer
After a few months of looking around and using what I had in my budget I chose a spray liner from TCP Global. http://www.tcpglobal.com/Custom-Paint/Custom-Bedliner/

It appears to be a copy of raptor liner. I installed 4 coats on the floor and walls of my truck and it has been very durable and did a good job quieting down the cab. However, I'm still getting a lot of heat thru the floor so I cut up some 18 wheeler mud flaps and use them as floor mats.

The success of your job will rely solely on your prep work. The more you do the better the results.

jq7RTAMl.jpg

8FFOPoGl.jpg

uc1eMlvl.jpg

Hope the info helps!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I did Herculiner in my Jeep Cherokee several years ago and I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't totally pleased either. The reason I did it was because I swamped the vehicle in a creek and it sat there over night before I could get it towed out, so the carpets were totally saturated and needed removed anyway. The application was easy enough and only took one weekend to complete with tear down, clean up, and rolling in the liner, then I let it sit for a week before putting the seats and junk back in so it could cure. Some of the things I wasn't thrilled with were the increase in noise-every little pebble sounded like a softball sized boulder hitting my undercarriage. The other thing was with the automatic transmission in the jeep-it gets pretty hot and the driver and front passenger got all that heat on their feet so some insulation would have been in order. The opposite end of the spectrum was in the winter-snow and slush and stuff would melt off my boots and puddle up on the floor, then freeze solid into an ice slick over night making it kind of precarious to use the pedals first thing in the morning.

So in the end I would recommend the paint in liner, but put some rubber floor mats like Husky Liner or Weathertech on top of it.

Arclight

SAR guy
FYI, the bed liner stuff will only stick to plain painted metal that has been thoroughly cleaned. If you get insulation, it will need to go on top, as a carpet kit or mat. If you put it on anything soft and squishy, it will definitely crack. One of the heavy-duty thick coatings _might_ be able to over insulation, but you'd have to check with the vendor.

Arclight

So I'm tired of the carpet in my truck. There are stains, it can hold in moisture and smell, something else to clean, etc.. I'm looking at rolling on a bed liner inside. I've been looking around at reviews and it seems Monstaliner has some of the best reviews. I'm also looking at Al's liner, Durabac, and Raptor. I know something like Linex is more durable and I'd go with that if I were coating the bed, but this is for inside the truck. I doubt my boots, dog's paws, sliding a cooler or Pelican case, etc. will cause enough damage. Before I lay down the bed liner, I was looking at adding some sound and heat insulation first. Some options I'm looking at are Al's HNR and Lizardskin. Al's is much cheaper and both products in one. Does anyone have experience with these?

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I did Herculiner to my cab and love it. No insulation or anything. I would think you would almost be better off applying that to the underside of the vehicle.
ape6enyp.jpg
e9aqebyp.jpg

happytraveler

Doesn't the bedliner stuff stink when applied in the interior?

The only experience I have was a long time ago. Did some brush on liner to the bed of a pickup. Wasn't bad when it was open, but when I put a topper on it (at least a year after application), it would stink really bad after warming up a little. No way I could have slept back there.

Maybe the modern products are better?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I never had odor problems on my jeep with herculiner. You definitely do want to apply it in a well ventilated area though, I did mine in the driveway with all the doors and back hatch open.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I would say all the bad scents went away in a few weeks when I first did my cab, but I had no where to leave the cab open for days so that didn't help. When I did the bed i never noticed it and I have a camper shell. And when I re did a spot in the cab and put a new layer down I never noticed it.

Edit: again I used Herculiner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz