Bed in a CJ?

Choff

Adventurer
I See removable type bed the long way over your horizontal roll over bars in back, it looks about 30" wide?, make a removable folding platform bed for that area??

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I can't find a pic, but I'm pretty sure there were options on the early rovers for little drop down side windows with canvas on them that would let them become little wing tents and you could sleep on a platform across the back at the side rail level. Both your head and feet would be "out of the vehicle". It would look a bit like a tent trailer camper sideways.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I (very briefly) considered trying to sleep in a CJ-7 (never even considered sleeping in the CJ-3B or the CJ-5) then considered a 6 and a half foot trailer; but a 9'x9' dome tent really was so much easier and comfortable, with a heavy duty air mattress or a cot that the solution is obvious, now. Dome tents are very quick and easy to setup and breakdown...

Enjoy!

hpierce301

Adventurer
this guy is in a CJ7, it if helps

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/iamjakebookface/

Backroad Joe

I only once even consider sleeping in my CJ5, then quickly dismissed the idea. However, I have on many occasions slept under it.

timgr

Observer
I know this is bringing back an old post, but in case the OP is still around ... there was a bed extender available for the CJs. You can still find them if you search, but they are not common. Potentially you could fold the passenger seat forward, and lay out your mattress with your head where the front seat passenger would sit, and have your feet extend into the bed extender. Otherwise it's tough to sleep in a CJ-2,3,5 ... there is no room to recline the seats, and no room on the floor. A CJ-6 or CJ-7 could accommodate reclining seats, if you are someone (like me) that can sleep in a chair.

Lucky j

Explorer
Cow bell at one big toe should let you know when to pull you feet back in if the monster under the jeep wants to bike the feet.

timgr

Observer
Another comment - the CJ-3A/B that the OP asked about has a 14" shorter WB than a CJ-7/YJ/TJ (80" vs 94"), shown earlier in this thread. Even with the tailgate down, a 6' 4" person's feet are going to hang over. And note that the Jake guy shown earlier puts the end of his 72" (that's 6' 0") cot right down into the passenger foot well and under the dash - and then it just fits inside the tailgate of the Jeep. I would guess he is of average height too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4M2Vfhdo0 Skip forward to 5:24 to see his "sleeping situation."

Last edited:

timgr

Observer
Cow bell at one big toe should let you know when to pull you feet back in if the monster under the jeep wants to bike the feet.

Well, I presume shelter from the weather was what the OP was thinking of, not shelter from beasts or whatever. If you need warmth, it's warmer to sleep outside on the ground than in a car. Warmer still in a tent. The car body is a giant heat sink, and your body heat will be conducted away to the environment. A cot will get you off the ground, if you are concerned about snakes and crawlies and such.

jeepingben

I only once even consider sleeping in my CJ5, then quickly dismissed the idea. However, I have on many occasions slept under it.

If I slept under my 2A, I would wake up covered in oil!

I think the stretcher mount sounds like the most feasible way to sleep up off the ground using a Willys.

1780b0cb259ccbe4d8ff4b88c432266b.jpg

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
After several pages (again) of shaking my head at folks trying to make the impractical work...
How about just getting a cheap, easy, quick to set up dome, or similar, tent and not worrying about sleeping in a vehicle that was never intended for it?...If it works for homeless people, it will work for you.
Once an easy to use tent is in hand just man/woman up and use it... forget about; crawlies, boogymen, mountain lions, bears (unless you are in Alaska) and just go to sleep (note; an appropriate sleeping bag and pad helps a lot!).

Enjoy!

unkamonkey

Explorer
After several pages (again) of shaking my head at folks trying to make the impractical work...
How about just getting a cheap, easy, quick to set up dome, or similar, tent and not worrying about sleeping in a vehicle that was never intended for it?...If it works for homeless people, it will work for you.
Once an easy to use tent is in hand just man/woman up and use it... forget about; crawlies, boogymen, mountain lions, bears (unless you are in Alaska) and just go to sleep (note; an appropriate sleeping bag and pad helps a lot!).

Enjoy!

I shake my head at a lot of the posts as well and I've decided to keep my mouth shut about a lot of them. People already think I am a cranky old Phart. They are right.
I grew up in the days when you went out for an adventure you carried everything on your back for a week out there.
I can pack for a several day trip in the winter for 2 people and can still see out of the back of my 3B.
My motorhome is a bit different. I admit I have a coffee grinder and a microwave in it.
Happy Joe live your life as you wish to.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I shake my head at a lot of the posts as well and I've decided to keep my mouth shut about a lot of them. People already think I am a cranky old Phart. They are right.
I grew up in the days when you went out for an adventure you carried everything on your back for a week out there.
I can pack for a several day trip in the winter for 2 people and can still see out of the back of my 3B.
My motorhome is a bit different. I admit I have a coffee grinder and a microwave in it.
Happy Joe live your life as you wish to.

I do!
However, since the widespread failure of common sense; I occasionally can't help posting a little...(joined the crotchety old Geezer Club some years back).
I too went to Jeeps from backpacking.
In terms of "traditional" Jeeps; have had (and camped with) M38s, a CJ-3B (great little Jeep but my feet didn't fit well after conversion to hanging pedals), a CJ-5 ('81) a YJ (got stolen), a CJ-7 ('85) and now am prepping a TJ Rubicon. Over the years have camped for a month on numerous occasions, with one other person (but no dog or just me and the dog)... You know you are fully loaded when the stuff reaches the top of the high back bucket seats... (nothing on the roof, it would get, forcibly, removed by low hanging branches).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles