Bed cap with Beds?

dokboy

Many moons ago my Ole Man owned a bed cap with fold down beds on either side. I have heard it called a hunters or fishermans special. Now since trucks have 4 doors and short beds it seems they have gone the way of the poor Doddo Bird. However I suspect someone here knows of a modern version. I envision a side popout similar to high dollar trailers only small so you could sleep across the bed rails (I claim rights to this if its actually a good idea:) )

Any help out here?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sorry, no pics of it, but my uncle had an old truck with a camper shell, it was much like a utility top with hinged panels and windows along the sides. The bottom of the pannels had an alum. lip on the bottom loke an "L" that tipped up slightly on the bottom inside. You would open it like wings. A swing out post support at the front would swing back and you folded the bed down. He used an air mattres, I think something happened to the real mattress, it would lay down on top of those wings and the ply top went from side to side. He had a folding stool with a toilet seat and bags. He used a coleman stove and just his junk for hunting/fishing. Small wing pannels is the best way to explain it, noting really noteable for the 60s.

A neighbor had a top that had a bed that folded down along one side above the wheel well, but the top didn't do anything special.

That's a neat set up Prybry, looks like the old apache off the trailer and set on the truck. I almost bought a box tent trailer to do the same thing, but the door had to go to the sides and it would have opened the wrong way.

kleaver641

Many moons ago my Ole Man owned a bed caps with fold down beds on either side. I have heard it called a hunters or fishermans special. Now since trucks have 4 doors and short beds it seems they have gone the way of the poor Doddo Bird. However I suspect someone here knows of a modern version. I envision a side popout similar to high dollar trailers only small so you could sleep across the bed rails (I claim rights to this if its actually a good idea:) )

Any help out here?

i like the 2 door truck before where in the space is a lot bigger than before as per Pryby pictures. now yeah! i do agree, now on modern trucks since there are already 4-doors indicated, it's hard to setup a tent 'cause it will shorten the space due to the additional 2 door extension of the truck.

thanks for the picture pryby!. it visualize me the way it looks like.

regards, :)

kurt

wannaby

Adventurer
I was thinkin something like this would be good for one side of my poptop where the dinet goes down to a bed for some extra space .....just a tipout on one side but still have sink stove and fridge on the other side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles